Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decent period scope for a '77 Sharps?

Boolit Master

Decent period scope for a '77 Sharps?

I have a very nice '77 Sharp's rifle in .50-90 that I would like to add a scope to. MVAs were suggested. They look great, but the $1200 price was a shock. Any suggestions for similar, but cheaper?
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    A good scope may cost you twice or more what the rifle did ???

Vendor Sponsor

You can find the old Lyman target spots in 8X on ebay for $500 and up. Close to period and close in function. Is the barrel D&T yet? If so, what is the spacing?
    Chill Wills

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    A 1877 Sharps is a pile of money. 20 years ago, Axtell was selling them $3,500 up to $5,500, depending on how outfitted.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    You can find the old Lyman target spots in 8X on ebay for $500 and up. Close to period and close in function. Is the barrel D&T yet? If so, what is the spacing?
    I have an old Lyman Target scope already, but it doesn't fit this rifle. It's already drilled and tapped at 17".
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    Yeah, this is a $5500 rifle, so not spending $11k on a scope. I inherited the rifle with a cheap set of peep sights on it and would like to install a scope appropriate to the style of the rifle. I know just the mounts are around $500, so was hoping I could find a decent reproduction scope for under $1000. I will likely never use the rifle for anything other than range shooting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rME_GjfLQ-2iNj5_pNBwYQ.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	320572

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    With the hole spacing already there at 17 inches , it sounds like the rifle was set up for the MVA 28 inch scope. So with the 6 minute mill dot reticle and sillhouette mounts the cost looks to be 1175$, plus shipping.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master

Be patient, save your money and buy yourself an MVA. You will be glad you did, any thing less would be like putting a Bandag on your new Corvette. Enjoy your rifle you have a good one.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

The rifle is set up for irons why not buy a MVA soule sight ? There’s no advantage to a scope just more and different dodads to play with.
    My 1877 is d/t for a MVA 23” scope with the blocks installed and scope purchasesd. I have never mounted the scope as the MVA LR Soule has worked perfectly with the small Hadley cup. Unless your eyes are not good I see no use for a scope until the time comes that my eyes can’t do it anymore .

If you're looking for a cheeper scope you might check out the HiLux Malcom. But in the end you will be spending $500. for a good set of mounts for it.
    The glass is decent but the mounts are junk.
    Like Randy said, there is no advantage over a good tang sight over a scope unless there is a heavy cob web in your eye. It wont take you long to learn how to shoot with one.

Boolit Master
    As a 6 times Scope national Champion, get the MVA. With Winchester #2 mounts. And you will never regret it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0032.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	320601

Kenny Wasserburger

Boolit Master
    A high end scope sight has as its chief virtues clarity, resolution and reproducibility in the settings. There just isn't enough of a market for non-target quality old-fashioned telescopic sights for easy availability. And the good ones still don't have the kind of volume sales that would allow reducing the prices.

If you just want something to look through, set and forget for there-or-thereabouts casual shooting or plinking, a Malcolm from HiLux or even one of those old long tube Tascos sold by Navy Arms will get you there. But you'll be wasting a lot of expensive ammunition, and not inconsiderable time, moving from one range or wind setting to another, and the mounts on the Tasco/Navy Arms scopes are really cheesy; an insult to a nice rifle.

I'd put an ad in or haunt the sales places for a used MVA or DZ Arms scope. Much better value for the money, and MVA, at least, will fix any problems you might encounter. You could also look for an original, or a used outside adjustment target scope like a Fecker, Lyman or Litschert, but that might cost you as much as a new repro, and repair and maintenance would be a problem unless you have an optics shop in the basement.

Boolit Master

Looks like I'm going to have to just save up for the MVA.

Boolit Master
    Definitely get the MVA. You won't regret it. When I got my first Sharps repro years ago, I went cheap on a scope and regretted it pretty much instantly. Right now there are only two scopes worth buying. MVA and DZ Arms. Of those only the MVA will work with a 17" mount spacing.

I've been shooting MVA scopes for years now, and DZ scopes since they came out. You definitely get the quality you are paying for.

Chris.

Boolit Master

I am curios about the range you plan to shoot at. Perhaps Kenny Wasserburger can educate me. What distance is that match?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    If you're looking for a cheeper scope you might check out the HiLux Malcom. But in the end you will be spending $500. for a good set of mounts for it.
    The glass is decent but the mounts are junk.
    Like Randy said, there is no advantage over a good tang sight over a scope unless there is a heavy cob web in your eye. It wont take you long to learn how to shoot with one.
    Kurt, I think it depends on the type of shooting you are doing. In BPTR matches you get the advantage of seeing mirage, scoring & spotting discs, without having to look through the spotting scope. Plus any shadows on the target face, or cupping of the target face gives an advantage to the scope shooter.

Where I shoot silhouette, often the target swingers will get hit so they no longer reflect light well enough to see with apertures. In those cases I get an advantage with the scope.

With that said, I like shooting apertures if the light is good. These rifles just look a little better without a scope to me, and if lighting conditions are good, I think I can shoot the same.

Chris.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    I am curios about the range you plan to shoot at. Perhaps Kenny Wasserburger can educate me. What distance is that match?
    Silhouette matches are shot at four different steel targets and four different distances; 200m, 300m, 385m, and 500m. If I ever go to another BPCR match, then I could compete with either the .50-90 Sharps or the Winchester high wall in .45-70. I have used both peep and scoped sights in those matches.

I have competed in the long-distance matches which are at 600, 800, and 1000yds. But only with a borrowed .45-90 Sharps.

For this rifle, I would be using it for recreational shooting, or maybe a silhouette match someday, so I could get by with regular sights.

Chris,
    I agree with what you said.
    All my life I always just used the barrel sights and down the line I used the Tang or the Military sights the M-1 and M-14 had or the Tang sights on the powder rifles for matches. When I had retina damage and it has happen three times now in the last 12 years I was forced to use a scope except during my time I shot bench rest. I fought laying behind a scoped rifle and I still don't like using a scope, I much sooner use the aperture sights and I shot better using them especially for off hand.
    When I still could shoot prone I had a a small spotting scope along my side where I could just roll over a little to check the conditions and now I just shoot sitting on a stool and I still can set the scope up shooting like that. Age is catching up on me, getting a little wimpy in my 84 years
    Yes I can see the mirage through the rifle scope but it also is a hindrance when it rolls heavy that is reduced when using the apertures. There are plusses and minuses with both sights. Right now the the MVA scopes I have/had I cant see the cross hairs on a black target. I sold my A-10 MVA to a friend because the reticle where too thin for my eyes and I still have a 28" but I have to use the mill dot and the target has to have the sun smiling on it.
    I can use a DZ scope because the reticle are a little larger but I have to hold the cross at 6-o-clock to see it.
    Hopefully next season I will be able to put the aperture sights back on my match rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Silhouette matches are shot at four different steel targets and four different distances; 200m, 300m, 385m, and 500m. If I ever go to another BPCR match, then I could compete with either the .50-90 Sharps

LOL, Careful using the .50-90 for the silhouette LOL I did that once and shot the head off a Turkey and unhooked a chicken swinger using it and. Just about got banned shooting the match LOL.
    The .50 is a great caliber. I used it for the Gong shoots for many years. But got complains from the guys next to me from the noise and concussion when I let the shot go

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post

What match are you talking about? The one in my photo is Creedmoor 800-900-1000 yards. Silhouette is 200-500 meters, midrange is 300-500-600 yards.

Kenny Wasserburger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast