RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Seeking 22 pistol red dot recommendations

Boolit Master

Seeking 22 pistol red dot recommendations

I need recommendations for a red dot sight for my 22 pistol.
    The pistol this will go on is a Taurus TX22 competition. The sight mounts directly to the barrel so weight will not be a factor in slide operation. I shoot mostly 25 yards or less in a local pistol club.
    I have been looking at the Vortex Venom. It's available in 3 or 6 MOA. I'm kind of leaning toward the 6 MOA sight, but I'm hoping to hear your thoughts on what you think is the best for the intended shooting. I'm also open to any suggestions on other brands of sights. I'd like to keep it in the sub $300 range if possible.

Boolit Master
    For a .22 the Vortex Venom is fine. But I'd opt for the 3 MOA dot instead. The 6 MOA is for shooters that are trying to be really fast & have larger target areas. I have a Vortex Venom in 3 MOA & it's a dandy. I've looked at a few dot optics with the 6 MOA,, and trying to get a precise "zero" isn't easy. For the .22 the 3 MOA will be plenty big enough.

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah, agreed...3 MOA dot is better for a 22 where you're wanting more precision (6 is good on a defensive handgun where speed is more important)

I'd also look at the Holosun 407/507 series. They've really upped their game over the last couple years...

Boolit Master
    vortex venom or burris fasfire both about the same and there are all kinds of mounts available for them. ive found them to be excellent on handgun or rifle super fast target acquisition and once sighted in even these old eyes have no problem with them

Burris Fastfire 3 minute dot. Last I looked about $160

Boolit Master

I think dot size will depend on personal preference between 3 and 6 MOA. In NRA Precision pistol you align the red dot and the black target as concentric circles, so 3 or 6 MOA will work. If you are shooting from a rest then the 3 MOA may give you a more precise POA.
    I have had great experience with the Vortex Venom Customer Service. I had a problem with the dot staying on. I called Vortex and they put a new dot in the mail with a prepaid mailer to return the old one. In hind sight, compared to the new sight I think it was just the battery cap but they mailed me a new sight before I returned the old one.

Boolit Grand Master

For speed games and up-close shooting , like falling plates and bowling pins ...
    the larger 6 moa dot is prefered ... easier and faster to pick it up .

For pure accuracy and longer range precision , the smaller 3 moa dot is preferred .

I shoot NRA Indoor Bullseye Match (Precision Pistol ) ...the old school bullseye targets with slow , timed and rapid fire legs with a 22 rimfire , 38 and 45 handguns ... the 3 moa dots give my best scores on the bullseye targets and when shooting at longer ranges , the small dot allows smaller groups to be fired .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    I have the 3MOA Venom and love it. Mounted on a Ruger MkIII, previously had an Ultradot and after having the Venom would never go back.