RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remington Rolling Block #2 To 38-55???

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    Well I wouldn't since the .22 Magnum is a 24,000 psi cartridge and way too hot for the little #4 action.
    It might be Ok; someone should check my bolt thrust calculation to see. You are not going to blow up the barrel, but the action must react the force of the case head on the breach. If we ignore the contribution of friction of the case sidewalls in the chamber, then bolt thrust is case head area times the pressure. Using area as Pi R squared the ratio of the case head areas are 32x32/22x22 or 2.1. The .22 WRM does not produce twice the pressure.

That says .22 WRM should be fine. Actually looking at SAAMI data, the .22LR and the .22 WRM have the same max pressure. The .22 WRM has only a tiny bit larger head diameter. The .22 WRM's performance improvement does not come from higher pressures it comes from greater case volume and slower powders.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    It might be Ok; someone should check my bolt thrust calculation to see. You are not going to blow up the barrel, but the action must react the force of the case head on the breach. If we ignore the contribution of friction of the case sidewalls in the chamber, then bolt thrust is case head area times the pressure. Using area as Pi R squared the ratio of the case head areas are 32x32/22x22 or 2.1. The .22 WRM does not produce twice the pressure.

That says .22 WRM should be fine. Actually looking at SAAMI data, the .22LR and the .22 WRM have the same max pressure. The .22 WRM has only a tiny bit larger head diameter. The .22 WRM's performance improvement does not come from higher pressures it comes from greater case volume and slower powders.

Tim
    Not a true comparison as most tested ammo in .22LR runs around 11,000-12,000 psi, so not nearly as hot as actual .22 Magnum chamber pressures.
    But there's a couple issues with the #4 action that are of concern. First being most are takedown actions with a slip fit, and even the solid frame/barrel had a pressed fit barrel, not threaded. And second the action's thin walls and tiny pivot pins are pretty weak.
    I just wouldn't do it, but it's not my gun.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    Not a true comparison as most tested ammo in .22LR runs around 11,000-12,000 psi, so not nearly as hot as actual .22 Magnum chamber pressures.
    But there's a couple issues with the #4 action that are of concern. First being most are takedown actions with a slip fit, and even the solid frame/barrel had a pressed fit barrel, not threaded. And second the action's thin walls and tiny pivot pins are pretty weak.
    I just wouldn't do it, but it's not my gun.
    I guess my point was the .22 Mag would not put more stress on these parts than .32 RF because of its smaller diameter even with the higher pressure. That said, those actions did not hold up well to the .32 RF either. Best choice would be .22 LR and standard velocity ammo.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Man
    I am a bit late to this thread but I have seen one of the Uberti rifles in 45-70. It was for sale at a gun show, talked a little with the owner/seller. It was every bit a #2 roller, light weight and not very comfortable to shoot. Pretty sure that it why he was sending it on down the road to a new owner.
    No idea of what material it was made from but was all blued as opposed to be color cased.
    Sam

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12