Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Mag-Spark Conversion For Smaller Primers

Mag-Spark Conversion For Smaller Primers

Have any of you guys dealt with a conversion of a Mag-Spark for using either small or large diameter primers rather than 209's?

I'm wanting to know as well.

Some one makes one. Dont think its mag spark but have heard of them. I have a few for the 209 primers for my TC rifles and they work really good. Especially if you are hunting in a wet conditions. In my limited experience my accuracy was better with caps in stead of the mag spark. Its almost like the 209 primer was starting to push the ball before the main charge was lit not sure. I like the mag spark and it works great but prefer caps. I wouldnt mess with one that took large or small primers. Too small to fuss with.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Boolit Master
    Been using the Acura-shot SPP conversion on my two traditional muzzleloading rifles for over 25 years. I believe it's discontinued, now. I use Pyrodex "P", exclusively and it never fails to ignite. No need to stock percussion caps for those rifles or pay the piper for them, nowadays..........if you can even find them. I always have SPP around.

Winelover

Boolit Master

I have a 209 to primer conversion, maybe the accushot?, that I have used several times over the years. It is a brass or copper 209 sized carrier with the small rifle or small pistol primer inserted into the carrier. At the time, I bought extra carriers and the deprime/reprime tools.

They have worked very well for me with zero complaints.

I don't shoot 209s in muzzleloaders as much anymore, but still have the tools and carriers.

I have one still, originally used on my old CVA's with evil pyrodex, I trusted it more for hunting. A friend had a CVA that it was the ONLY way to get it to fire. With No.11 caps it would fire maybe 25% of the time.

Anyway... it works well, but other than being a larger size, I think the 209 ones are better. For one they're easier to load, being larger. Especially important with cold frozen finger. You could probably load 209's with gloves on. Not happening with SPP's. More importantly though, the small primers had a tendency to get stuck. I keep and old Swiss army knife in my gear box just to use the awl on it to help pry them out. They could be a PITA, and forget doing it in a hurry. But like I said, I always knew the gun would fire.
    Former cylindersmith.

Boolit Bub
    I like the extra blast of a 209 for black powder. Seems like I get a better more powerful powder detonation.
    I'M FROM THE GOVERNMENT....I'M HERE TO HELP!!

I would like to see how the sealed primer systems on heavy slug guns work, like the ones Ken Briesen used to make. I've never seen one in person, has anyone here had any experience with them? It sounds like an interesting thing to make.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    209's are vaporware around here. I'm actually thinking about getting a musket cap inline.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.