WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Has anyone tried paper patching a minnie?

Has anyone tried paper patching a minnie?

Has anyone tried paper patching a minnie? I just got a 50 cal, 350 gr mould and the minnie is a loose fit in my 50 cal sizer. If it is patched, the paper would be driven into the cavity and probably stay imbedded, it looks like. I haven't tried the minnie yet without patching but it seems loose.

Yes sir, it can work quite well. The British used what could be thought of as a very under undersized bullet in the .577 bore and quite a bit of paper. Also they implemented rifling grooves that were deeper at the breech (progressively tapering to shallower towards the muzzle) that really helped to cut the patching for clean releases.

This is a .695 diameter for the Armisport Fremont with 33" barrel. It has real shallow grooves so that step up front helps to blow the patch off once it exits the barrel.

Boolit Grand Master

And don't forget the Pritchett bullets the British used. They were basically a smooth Minie that was paper patched:

https://svartkrutt.net/articles/vis.php?id=15

You should probably try the Minie as is to see if it shoots okay which it may because they do swell up to fill the bore but if too loose it may not expand evenly. Then try the paper patching. I think you will have to use a lubed wad under the paper patched Minie though.

How do you load yours Good Cheer?

Longbow
    Last edited by longbow; 12-03-2023 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Spelling

Boolit Grand Master

During the civil war and possibly before minnies were wrapped in paper with a long tube for a tail. This held the powder charge and the end was twisted and folded over. This tail was torn off, the charge poured in and the minni paper and all rammed down

Quote Originally Posted by smokyCMP View Post
    Has anyone tried paper patching a minnie? I just got a 50 cal, 350 gr mould and the minnie is a loose fit in my 50 cal sizer. If it is patched, the paper would be driven into the cavity and probably stay imbedded, it looks like. I haven't tried the minnie yet without patching but it seems loose.
    Would you give me a call please. 308-340-4702

Jim
    My anger management classes are pissing me off!

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    And don't forget the Pritchett bullets the British used. They were basically a smooth Minie that was paper patched:

https://svartkrutt.net/articles/vis.php?id=15

You should probably try the Minie as is to see if it shoots okay which it may because they do swell up to fill the bore but if too loose it may not expand evenly. Then try the paper patching. I think you will have to use a lubed wad under the paper patched Minie though.

How do you load yours Good Cheer?

Longbow
    Just the patched minie on top of the powder.

I've used paper patches in a .318 caliber drilling when the "odd ball" bullets were all but impossible to find. By using "Bond" paper cut in strips long enough to wrap twice around the lower portion of a .308 bullet, the bullet is "bumped up" to the correct diameter. I then soaked the paper in water before wrapping and twisted the end (base) to "seal". After your project bullets dry, cut off the tail of the paper and "tumble" lube the bullets in a small butter dish of alox - set aside overnight to dry. (I've found the 180gr. weight bullet to be the most accurate in my particular firearm.) The author that put me on to this method of paper patching was Ross Seyfried. Barrel clean up has never been a problem to date and accuracy was on par with factory ammo.

I did that to a Lee .50cal. Minie that was too small to fit the bore of my Knight Bighorn. It made a difference, shrinking 50 yd. groups from 3" - 4" to ~half of that.

Boolit Grand Master

Good Cheer:

Do you lube the patched Minie or wipe after every shot?

Or how else do you deal with fouling?

Longbow

Hey longbow.
    Well, it depends.
    When muzzleloading (hollow base or plain base) paper patched boolits I clean between shots.
    If it helps with a given gun and load I apply a smeared on lube immediately prior to loading.
    If the patched boolits need to be sized after patching I may apply a lube to accomplish the sizing.