MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone remember Jack O'Connor?

Boolit Master
    I had a 270 for quite a few years but gave it to my son. I shot several moose with it when I live in AK. I don't believe that using a 7x57 would have worked any better. The diameter of a 7mm is only .007" larger than a .277 bullet. If you think .007 makes any noticeable difference, imagine the difference .024 of the 30=06 would make.

I have shot moose with 270, 308, 30-06, 300 H&H and 338 and didn't see any real difference in the results.

I have heard quite a bit of O'Conner but haven't read much of his writing.

Boolit Master
    Yes,, many of us "old timers" remember Jack O'Conner.

Glad you have the gun and it's provenance.

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    I too remember reading many articles by Mr. O’Conner, no doubt about his love for the .270. He was a great writer and very knowledgeable. Good story about your father’s gun, congratulations on knowing you will pass on an amazing family heirloom.
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Master

Jack O'Connor was one of the best gun writers there ever was.
    Few, if any, gun writers today measure up to the standard set by Mr. O'Connor.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master

I grew up reading Jack in the magazines and still have several of his books.

I always used his advice of the 3 inch high zero @ 100 yards, for a hunting zero with a scoped, fast, high powered rifle, 25/06, .270, and 7mm magnum. Out to 300 yards, drop was only about 4 inches with this zero, so ranging and holdover was "no brainer" on deer, (allowing for some wind drift), with a GOOD rest and accurate rifle, AND lots of practice out to 300 yards.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Bub
    I've got one or two of his books in my library. If I recall correctly, Jack was a major proponent of the .270 Winchester back when it was still a wildcat.

I would question the assertion that the engraving lowered the value of the gun. If someone wanted it, and it was factory verified by a letter from the manufacturer that Jack had indeed purchased it, I doubt that a professional engraving job would hurt the value any.... and it might actually increase the value.

A gun's value on the open market is worth just exactly what the buyer will pay for it and not a penny more. Note that this value changes with the market and the depth of the buyer's pockets. If I could get hold of a Keith No. Five revolver with a verification letter stating that Elmer Keith had owned it, I would not care if someone had prettied it up subsequently to Mr. Keith's ownership. I would sell my Lincoln Town Car, all my Colt DA revolvers, all but one of my muzzleloaders and maybe dip into the gold and silver in the safety deposit box.

Probably just as well that I will never get hold of one. (heavy sigh)

Jack O'Connor had the career I really wanted, as an outdoor writer and somewhat professional hunter. I acquired several of his books in paperback while in college in the 70's, and still have them. Love the gun BTW.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Jack O'Conner was above all one of the best writers and "story tellers" of the "hunt". IMO, he could put you at the very scene of a hunting venture imagining all the sights and sounds to be experienced. While he had a talent for writing, and was a college professor, according to all those that hunted with him, he was a "tremendous shot" in the field. According to many of his peers, he was considered the "Dean of Gun writers", "Cactus Jack" to friends, and other less flattering names by his distractors. In his later years, his patience's for less talented writers did not endear him to editors, or "upstarts" in the business.
    Having a firearm O'Conner once owned would be akin to owning a "Rembrandt", in my estimation as a "gun loony", and any gun collector worth the title would pay more than you could turn down! You are very fortunate indeed to have it in your possession - like has been said, "get it insured" ASAP! Regards, Kaiser.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I have one of O'Conner's books here somewhere. He wrote a lot about his time up in this area working in the forest. We hunted much the same area.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Jack took us around the world hunting and shooting. He and his wife were a perfect match for one another, and I enjoyed her stories and opinions every bit as much as his. I can't recall another writer who could identify with the average ''Joe'' better than Jack for real and useful information, (even if he did like the .270 a bit beyond my tastes).

His writings and kind are sorely missed, but his printed material is timeless and a treasure for generations to come.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Boolit Buddy
    Attachment 320427

My Oconner rifle, had to have one reading all his writings.
    Made my longest shot on a whitetail with it, not going to say how far it was, but he was right on sight in.

Boolit Grand Master
    What a treasure you have there. It was made to be used and I hope you use it for a long time. Funny, the old division over the .270 vs whatever other caliber you choose, is still going on. Kinda glad to see that. I, for one, love the .270.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    I've been a 7x57 fan for almost 50 years and while I've never loaded it to the Lyman limits of 1953, I have loaded it warmer than what's safe in an 1893 Mauser with great accuracy and perfectly safe in a new Model 70 Winchester. While I love the 7x57 Mauser, I don't care a bit for a .270, I've owned two and the caliber does nothing for me. Prior to moving to the 7mm she shot a .257 Roberts, she wasn't recoil shy. Her ''big game'' rifle was a .30/06. Did she kill an elephant with her .30/06? An article in, ''African Hunting Gazette'' claims she did. (I really don't know) It is known she was a great stalker and only shot past 200yds. when there was no option to get closer.

Idaho.45guy...Fantastic heirloom you've got there!
    I too prefer the 7x57 Mauser over a 270, I bought a Remington 700 Classic in 7x57 a couple decades back, I took many a Blacktail with that rifle.
    I gave it to my son when he was old enough to hunt on his own.
    The 45-70, the only Government I trust.
    The Gospel of speed is accuracy.

Boolit Master
    I would think everybody on this forum would know Jack Oconnor. I used to enjoy his feuds with Elmer Keith over rifle choices. When you look at the 270 Winchester honestly and consider the point blank method of sighting in, it's hard to beat what it offers for game that it's appropriate for. For example, I have a 257 Weatherby and using the latest monolithic bullets and burning a double handful of powder I only gain about 25 yards range over the 270 with a standard boattail 130 grain spitzer. I love them both but it was eye opening to really quantify the small difference between the two. I can't imagine having a gun actually owned by one of the great gun writers like this but I agree that if I did, I would shoot it. Contrary to current attitudes towards blued and wood guns, they can be used without ruining them. People did it for many years.

Boolit Master

Like others here, I grew up reading Jack O'Conner's books and articles and still have three of his books (original editions, not reprints) in my library. Once met him at a 'meet 'n greet' during the Nat'l Sporting Goods Ass'n show in Chicago...1976 IIRC...before the shooting sports broke away to create the SHOT show. Incidently, Elmer Keith was also there and recall that both he and O'conner were noticeably 'hard of hearing'. (Ear protection, anyone?)

I know that everyone has one gun that they'll alway regret letting go and mine is a .270 M70 'Featherweight that I traded off in a moment of weakness. Rifle was a real tack-driver for the first three shots then, even after glass-bedding and free-floating the barrel, would string vertically until the barrel cooled back to 'room temperature'.

Bill
    Last edited by Kraschenbirn; 11-29-2023 at 02:39 PM.
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Rem View Post
    I would think everybody on this forum would know Jack O'Connor. I used to enjoy his feuds with Elmer Keith over rifle choices. snip
    The "feud" with Elmer Kieth sold many Guns and Ammo and Outdoor life subscriptions to folks who would only have one subscription. As a courtesy Kieth and O'Connor sent rebuttals through the mail to allow for each to have a running conversation in the issues as they were printed.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Grand Master

I grew up reading articles by those guys. I met Bill Jordan at the Tulsa Gun Show several years ago. I shook hands with him and he autographed my copy of his book "No Second Place Winner". Sadly all of those guys have gone on. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by 303carbine View Post
    I too prefer the 7x57 Mauser over a 270, I bought a Remington 700 Classic in 7x57 a couple decades back, I took many a Blacktail with that rifle.
    I gave it to my son when he was old enough to hunt on his own.
    I had two, an Interarms MarkX was my introduction to the 7X57 and I hunted all sizes of game with it from groundhog to black bear. Plenty accurate with a Weaver 3-9x40 scope atop it. I think i traded it in for a Winchester M-70 .30-06 and recycled the Weaver, (which I STILL have). The second 7mm was a Winchester M-70 FWT from the 1980's. I didn't plan on selling or trading it, but I loaned it to a neighbor/friend for a Montana hunt, (all he had was a Marlin 336 in .30/30). He fell more deeply in love with it more than I ever would have and I ended up selling it to him. Then he retired and moved to Montana with it to be near his daughter and her family after I said I would buy it back if he ever decided to sell it! The seed has been planted, I bought a box of Remington 175gr. ammo off a neighbor this summer...
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

I am also a 7x57 and 28 ga. fan, but never cared for the 270.

Boolit Master
    Skeeter Skelton was another writer you don't find many people talking about anymore, but he was quite a storyteller, too.

I had a Winchester model 70 in .270 and never liked the noise when it went off. The neighbors would always call the house and want to know whether something had exploded.

Friend of mine had a 7x57 when I was in high school and we harvested a lot of deer with it - had a milder recoil and not nearly as loud. I use a 7mm-08 now on deer and I like it much better overall than the .270 - one shot kills are the norm.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast