Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone remember Jack O'Connor?

Boolit Master

Anyone remember Jack O'Connor?

My dad showed me a shotgun of his a couple of years ago that he claimed was owned by Jack O'Connor. He said he couldn't prove it, but swore he bought it on consignment in 1974 from Lolo Sporting Goods for $500. He said he didn't know how Jack got it, but assumed since he was a writer, he was given to him through a magazine or the manufacturer in exchange for some kind words in an article.

My dad then sold the shotgun to a lawyer friend who had it engraved to honor Jack's two favorite bird hunting states; Idaho and Arizona. My dad was upset that the shotgun was engraved and bought it back.

My dad passed in May, and I inherited the beautiful shotgun. I contacted Browning's Historian who agreed to research the shotgun. That was 2-3 months ago.

I just received a letter from Browning verifying that the shotgun was indeed purchased new by Jack O'Connor...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	safeletter.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	320412

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230528_231043.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	320413

I also reached out to a professional appraiser and dealer who owns O'Connor firearms and has sold many of them over the years. He said due to the engraving, the value was substantially lowered to no more than $10k. It was opined that it could have been worth around $50k.

I am thankful for the "low" value since it means I am not tempted to sell it and instead will actually take it in the field and pass it down as a unique family heirloom.

I am surprised by how many folks these days have never heard of Jack O'Connor, or Elmer Keith, or John Taffin. I own a few fine rifles crafted by Al Biesen, Roger Biesen, and Jim Zahm. Those are also names being lost to time.

It's a shame.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    My grandfather gave me the Book of the Rifle when I was 10 years old. Hard to beat his books or the others that you mentioned.
    Also fantastic gun with a better story!!
    Last edited by cwtebay; 11-28-2023 at 05:35 PM.

Great story ! O’Connor was one of the tops when it came to rifles and hunting. The Winchester M70 and the 270 Winchester were his favorites . Make sure to look into insuring that treasure.

I've read many an article written by Jack. Just good common sense gun advice that seems missing today from the hacks.

Strange, but I agreed with his wife's choice of rifles above his.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    I've read many an article written by Jack. Just good common sense gun advice that seems missing today from the hacks.

Strange, but I agreed with his wife's choice of rifles above his.
    Wasn't hers chambered in 7x57?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    A lawyer doing what he does best, i.e. costing other people money.

Boolit Master

I vividly remember reading his series of books when I was in high school. Been a fan of his and the 7x57 for many years!
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Wasn't hers chambered in 7x57?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Yup, Elaine I believe her name was, was a big fan of the 7x57 Mauser. I've no doubt they loaded them a bit warmer than is recommended today. My Lyman 39 manual, (1953) lists loads for it that push the modern .280 Rem, (with a warning to reduce by 20% for the old '93 Mausers).

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    Yup, Elaine I believe her name was, was a big fan of the 7x57 Mauser. I've no doubt they loaded them a bit warmer than is recommended today. My Lyman 39 manual, (1953) lists loads for it that push the modern .280 Rem, (with a warning to reduce by 20% for the old '93 Mausers).
    I always assumed she used the 7x57 due to the slightly lighter recoil. Doesn’t make much sense to hot rod a 7mm when he was shooting a .270 anyway.
    Don Verna

Outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master

Great writers and shooters of the past thanks for the memory .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Awesome story. Thanks for sharing. Interesting that the engraving lowered the value that much. I'd think it would just be part of the story of the gun.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Master
    Mr Oconner...arguably the father of the mighty .270w the queen of mountain rifles...his writings promoted it very well. wasnt beyond using the 280 either.
    Nick Harvey,Graham Henry are another two names to add to that list...southern hemisphere authors who wrote many great articles for the gun magazines over the years.

you make sure and use that shotgun...it was made to be shot,not just looked at. get it into your will NOW ,so it goes to right set of hands whenever you shuffle off to the big duck pond in the sky....be a tragedy for it to end up sold off to another lawyer ....

Boolit Master
    also....remember that fella who gave you appraisal will work on commission..... pretty much guarantee he could onsell shotgun in half a heartbeat for well more than 20k if indeed it was ever worth 50k..... a 10k lowball offer might have tempted another to sell it through him then and there.

If I remember correctly, Eleanor O’Conner used her 7x57 mostly, but occasionally used her “Big Gun”- a 30-06.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I grew up reading whatever Jack O'Conner wrote! He was "the" guy back in the day. I never took to the .270 like he did but his writing got me interested in the 7x57, which I still shoot.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I always assumed she used the 7x57 due to the slightly lighter recoil. Doesn’t make much sense to hot rod a 7mm when he was shooting a .270 anyway.
    I've been a 7x57 fan for almost 50 years and while I've never loaded it to the Lyman limits of 1953, I have loaded it warmer than what's safe in an 1893 Mauser with great accuracy and perfectly safe in a new Model 70 Winchester. While I love the 7x57 Mauser, I don't care a bit for a .270, I've owned two and the caliber does nothing for me. Prior to moving to the 7mm she shot a .257 Roberts, she wasn't recoil shy. Her ''big game'' rifle was a .30/06. Did she kill an elephant with her .30/06? An article in, ''African Hunting Gazette'' claims she did. (I really don't know) It is known she was a great stalker and only shot past 200yds. when there was no option to get closer.

Idaho.45guy...Fantastic heirloom you've got there!

A very interesting discussion, thanks all for sharing.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Master

Neat shotgun and letter!
    When she is not in the field, display her with the letter!
    Maybe get someone interested in doing a little reading!

Boolit Master
    I first was introduced to him through an article printed in Boys Life magazine. I soon graduated to the monthly articles in Outdoor Life. I’ve read The Rifle book, and followed him till he passed.
    He was also an avid wing shooter writing frequently about pheasant hunting. He was a fan of the 28ga and prevailed upon John Olin during a quail hunt in S.W. Ga to produce the Super X 1oz load.

Yes; Mrs. O’s 7x57 sporter , by Al Biesen, iirc, was built on a G33/40 Medium M98 Mauser action.
    I have a modern version of it by means of a Remington Model-7 in 7mm08. It’s a newer one (circa 2004) with a 20”bbl and laminated stock. It’s only 250fps behind my 26”bbl M700 in 7mmRemMag. It’s both the “luckiest” and favorite rifle I own. Cartridge too!
    It’s astonishing at the power and performance with 150gr bullets and just 45.0gr of IMR or H4350, or RL17. Flatter shooting and better terminal energy than a .308win. It’s the modern equivalent of the 7x57.

I too haven’t been overly infatuated with the .270. I originally wanted one but fate put me in the .30/06 camp. After owning several .270’s, I can’t say I’m disappointed. The ‘06 doesn’t really kill any better than the .270, but does seem to make game flinch more when shot…

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast