MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Contender Fore End Screw Length

Boolit Buddy

Contender Fore End Screw Length

All,

I can find several places that lists the G1 Contender Carbine Forend using a 10-32 screw but I need to know the length? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by nannyhammer View Post
    All,

I can find several places that lists the G1 Contender Carbine Forend using a 10-32 screw but I need to know the length? Thanks!
    Why not just grab a longer 10-32 screw and check it against your gun and a forearm? Then you can see how much too long it is, and know how much shorter it needs to be.

There were many variations in forends over the years so it's not a one size fits all. As Marlinman suggested the thing to do is start long and trim to fit. The thing to watch is to make sure the screw doesn't bottom on the barrel as it can pull/jack the dovetail lock loose.

Boolit Grand Master
    +1 on finding a longer screw and then shortening it. This is how I do (FWIW) it. Find your screw. Take a piece of thin scrap material and drill and tap it for the thread of the screw. Figure out how long it needs to be and then insert it into the scrap with extra screw length sticking out. Grind to length and then as you remove the screw to use in the for-end, the threads are chased out perfectly, all ready for use. Just my two centavos. Good luck.

Boolit Buddy
    Found the correct thread but all the heads were too big from the selection at Lowes. Since I'll most likely sell this set up I didn't want to drill the forearm or fabricate screws. Thanks for the hints.