RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: I began hunting with cast 8 years ago

Boolit Buddy

I began hunting with cast 8 years ago

As I was tagging a nice 6 point last week I tried to remember how many bucks I've killed in the last 8 years. That's how long I've been hunting with my own cast bullets. With the exception of one small buck I killed with my .44 mag I've tagged 13 deer with my old '94 30.30 or Remington 700 in '06. 14 total when I add the .44 mag deer. Out of all of them the 44 mag deer had the most bloodshot meat. The .30 deer were all pretty much eat to the bullet hole situations.

All of my bullets were a 50/50 mix of pure lead and wheel weight with a pinch of tin. NOE supplied the two moulds. The .44 was a 260gr rf while the 30.30 and 30.06 both shot the 311165rf with great accuracy and results. I'd say about half of the 13 were killed with the 30.30 and the other half with the 30.06. I know 13 doesn't divide into halves but you get the idea. Shortest shot was maybe 5-7 yards with the 30.06 and the longest was around 150 yards with the 30.30 and just happened to be buck number 14 I tagged last week. Of the 14 bullets I only recovered 1 and it held together and good expansion. Blood trails have been dead right there out to maybe 150 yards.

In 8 years I will have been allowed 16 bucks. I'm at 14 and still have a few weeks to go. Not too shabby. My only regret is not starting to cast my own bullets many years ago. About 90% of what I have learned has been right here on this site. So, if you are new to casting or hunting with cast you have everything you need right here with a bit more reading and or reaching out to others for advice as I have done along this journey.
    USAF (Retired) 1985-2005

Boolit Master
    Good story & a big Congrats on your accomplishments!!! -06

Congratulations on all those bucks. Thanks for sharing your story and the bullets you use. Was it a full power 44 or downloaded?
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Master
    Great story...I personally have Never harvested a buck...Grand Dad didn't allow that behavior. He shot a Buck...we all shot Fat Does Only...Force of Habit...I still harvest Fat Does...Only. I do Not feel slighted in the least.. plus is..I get to shoot More!!!
    Almost exclusively Cast.. but...not all...and, IDK how many...Some! Mostly 35 Rem.
    Good On ya...and Glad you have had success in your Endeavor with Cast Projectiles..good to encourage those "Lookin In"

Boolit Master
    Don't have a lot of fawn factories running around here in my area. If it doesn't have horns I usually don't shoot. One buck can take care of several does.& make lots of meat. I guess it all depends on the volume of the herds where you hunt But it's the meat that interests us. We have learned how to fix it without it being tough. -06

Boolit Buddy

Congratulations! Also good recollection. I prefer cast in the 44mag, mostly using Lee 310gr gc cast of wheel weights on a full charge of H110. I can usually eat to within 1" of the hole, but i aim for the upper neck or head, to minimize the damage. This shot is not for most( extreme trigger finger dicipline to not take a shot one is not confident of and familiarity with rifle and bullet path), but a big appreciation is achieved when butchering and locating the deer. I do frequently pass on shots that are not a sure thing because the deer is moving or obstructions in bullet path.
    I helped a relative bring a deer to a processor one time -- was very appaled at the condition and stench of a good number of deer carcasses! Was really glad my dad emphasized importance of aiming and not taking a shot i was not confident with. After seeing & smelling at that processor i was glad we process our deer!
    Thank you dad for the many things you taught me!

Boolit Buddy
    I don't mind shooting a doe. I'd actually be fine with two for the year. I have a friend that lets me hunt on 80 acres and his one rule is no does. If that were not the case I have had a chance at 6 of them in the last few days and would have been happy to shoot one.

The 44 mag info. 94 ae carbine. I did some load development with that rifle and cast bullet. The sweet spot was not a hot load or even close to the top end. The standard behind the shoulder shot produced a lot of bloodshot meat.
    USAF (Retired) 1985-2005

Thanks for the update Pac.

Around here, we are over populated and modern gun season only runs across 3 weekeneds/2 weeks. We have been unlimited does for 6 or 8 years now. Still 1 buck. I hope a lot of people are really blessed by being able to shoot and unlimited number of deer.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Simply love hunting stories and what guys shoot. When on the farm long ago, our Dad would not allow us to shoot center fire rifles just our 22's for varmints around the farm. We could shoot his early Ruger 44 though with supervision. Dad was a caster and would down load boolits letting us shoot deer from a tree stand. I still have all his molds and casting tools including my grandpa's who was a caster as well.

Boolit Master
    Bazoo; Be nice if we had a population as strong as yours. Year before last I hunted 9 days & didn't see a deer. -06

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Friends call me Pac View Post
    As I was tagging a nice 6 point last week I tried to remember how many bucks I've killed in the last 8 years. That's how long I've been hunting with my own cast bullets. With the exception of one small buck I killed with my .44 mag I've tagged 13 deer with my old '94 30.30 or Remington 700 in '06. 14 total when I add the .44 mag deer. Out of all of them the 44 mag deer had the most bloodshot meat. The .30 deer were all pretty much eat to the bullet hole situations.

All of my bullets were a 50/50 mix of pure lead and wheel weight with a pinch of tin. NOE supplied the two moulds. The .44 was a 260gr rf while the 30.30 and 30.06 both shot the 311165rf with great accuracy and results. I'd say about half of the 13 were killed with the 30.30 and the other half with the 30.06. I know 13 doesn't divide into halves but you get the idea. Shortest shot was maybe 5-7 yards with the 30.06 and the longest was around 150 yards with the 30.30 and just happened to be buck number 14 I tagged last week. Of the 14 bullets I only recovered 1 and it held together and good expansion. Blood trails have been dead right there out to maybe 150 yards.

In 8 years I will have been allowed 16 bucks. I'm at 14 and still have a few weeks to go. Not too shabby. My only regret is not starting to cast my own bullets many years ago. About 90% of what I have learned has been right here on this site. So, if you are new to casting or hunting with cast you have everything you need right here with a bit more reading and or reaching out to others for advice as I have done along this journey.

I hope to hunt next deer season with cast bullets.

Boolit Master

I have used 200 grain cast bullet (311299 at 0.314" ) in a 1910 Ross 303 to harvest does.
    At one time we were issued 4 mule deer doe tags in a season. Cast bullets (50% wheel weight, 49% lead, 1% tin) would usually result in one shot kills. Shots were 30 to 110 yards.
    With the increase in mule deer population came an increase in the wolf and cougar population.
    A pack of ten or more wolves usually kills and eats 2 mule deer a day. Gonna have to start calling wolves....
    They will come to a doe bleat deer call, or a fawn bleat deer call.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...