Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: 0.368 Ron Long muzzle loader moulds

Boolit Mold

0.368 Ron Long muzzle loader moulds

Morning All
    From sunny Queensland Australia, I managed to pick up what was described as a 0.380 Ron Long target muzzle loader, but when slugged it turned out to be 0.363 bore and 0.368 groove with a 1:18 twist and a 32" barrel.
    I am having trouble find a suitable mould, the closest I have seen is a 9.3mm mould (0.368") from CBE. Can anyone provide any information on a suitable mould or the gun the serial #LKH41.
    Cheers Dik

You mght also try the American Longrifles Forum. Pretty knowledgeable folks over there.

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php
    Last edited by scattershot; 11-26-2023 at 08:40 PM.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    What about a .357 ball? You could probably patch with .010 twill.

Boolit Master
    With that fast twist barrel , I would think you would shoot best with a slug better than a patched round ball.
    Good luck in finding a slug that fits well.
    You also might want to try Paper Patched .357 Boolits.

Boolit Master
    What Lags said ,works/Ed

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Diko View Post
    Morning All
    From sunny Queensland Australia, I managed to pick up what was described as a 0.380 Ron Long target muzzle loader, but when slugged it turned out to be 0.363 bore and 0.368 groove with a 1:18 twist and a 32" barrel.
    I am having trouble find a suitable mould, the closest I have seen is a 9.3mm mould (0.368") from CBE. Can anyone provide any information on a suitable mould or the gun the serial #LKH41.
    Cheers Dik
    Ron made some very good locks. I would guess, and let's stress the guess part, that the lock is a Long Lock. He was well known for his locks. Ron also made some barrels from 12L14 steel. They are fine for BP. If Ron made your rifle, he would have an engraved name on the barrel and Denver, Colo. One other option is "someone made the rifle and used a good Long Lock. I can't speak to the barrel bore and groove. 0.363" - 0.368" ...Only 0.005" groove size above bore suggests very shallow rifling.
    You pulled the barrel and pushed the slug out the muzzle?
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

I would guess any 9.3mm would be a good starting point. What is the twist? Round ball molds are around in . I have never had one in .368 but seen them for sale.

Vendor Sponsor

1-18 twist
    Chill Wills

I recently sold a Lyman / Ideal #366408. It might have sized down pretty good.

My guess is a heavy .358 mold paper patched and sized .362 will be what works.

Boolit Mold
    Morning All
    I will take photo of the gun and post them shortly. I will also take photos of it in pieces, Chill Wills I don't remember seeing Ron's name on anything.
    I also picked up 3 other guns from one of our departed brothers, 2 x 50 cal Green River muzzle loaders (finter & a cap) and a Parker Hale 451 Volunteer which I am busily getting ready for the range.
    Yes Lags I agree with you paper patch would be the way to go with the 36 given the barrel twist, but the project is hamstrung by sight issues at the moment and wanting to test out the other purchases.
    Thanks to all, Cheers Dik

Boolit Mold
    Morining All
    I have been trying to post some photos but I am told "upload of file failed". I will find another way to upload without my file extension.
    I am now thinking this 36 cal rifle was a kit job because I was working on the GRRW 50 cal flinter and noticed the rifle's serial number started with LKH the same as the 36 cal.
    From what I have read Green River Rifle Works (Australia) obtained everything from Green River in the States and sold them in Australia as completed rifles or kits. I did ring up Allan the last owner of GRRW for a chat, he could confirm the year of assembly for the cap lock by the serial number (no LKH) but could not confirm the flinter which started with LKH (kit gun?).
    Kind regards
    Dik