Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seating stem for soft Lead Hollowpoint 44 Special?

Vendor Sponsor

A Flat Nosed Punch should work . That boolit is the Lyman Devastator Right?

If it was a SWC and you were having problems with closing up the HP, I say bore the nose punch out so it was just contacting the step on the SWC's Base.

Could you post some pics of your boolits and cases so we can see what is going on?

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 11-29-2023 at 01:40 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    If that was a fired and unsized case of course you can. If it is a sized case, check your sizer.
    I cant,Here are some images of bullits and cases and comparisons.

This is with a case directly from my Carbine without resizing and there is no way that the .432 bullet if is going to seat in the case with just finger pressure, even if belled and chamfered without a press and certainly will not seat by finger pressure.

Top 2 images Bullet and case and Just case ,Straight out of the Carbine
    Next 2 Images of bullet's
    Next 2 images are of The Bullets hollowpoint and a error of duplication
    Next 2 images are of seated bullet hopefully showing shavings of .432 bullet right in the cannalure and where I used a rubber band to hold Seated bullet next to unseated bullet so it can be easily visualized how the round nosed seating stem is Closing up the hollowpoint .
    Bottom 2 images are of an inverted bullet in case and other image shows bullet ballanced sitting on top of the 44 special case taken right out of the rifle unsized.

Nope ,there aint going to be any pushing the bullet down into the case easily with finger pressure ,much less being able to push in flush with the finger !

By the way is see the images are a little small and I do not know how to make them bigger now that they are up.
    Can anyone tell me How I an make the images bigger for better ease of seeing ?
    Last edited by bcraig; 11-29-2023 at 10:11 PM. Reason: add pics and info

Boolit Master
    so maybe??? youve got a tight chamber in gun...and loosish casting mold.....eg the specs of each are good but at opposite ends of the spectrum.... chuck your fancypants measuring stick/micrometer at both and the answer will leap out at you....Ive found loading some purchased cast in .44 magnum a right PIA and others dead easy.... possibly your solution will be as simple as a correct sizing die to swage/squeaze the cast boolit down to a size that suits your guns....

I use postimages for image hosting. It works easy enough.

It does sound like you have a pretty tight chambered gun. If that's the case, consider yourself darn lucky.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Milky Duck View Post
    so maybe??? youve got a tight chamber in gun...and loosish casting mold.....eg the specs of each are good but at opposite ends of the spectrum.... chuck your fancypants measuring stick/micrometer at both and the answer will leap out at you....Ive found loading some purchased cast in .44 magnum a right PIA and others dead easy.... possibly your solution will be as simple as a correct sizing die to swage/squeaze the cast boolit down to a size that suits your guns....
    My Fancu Pant Measuring stick/Micrometer told me that I needed a .432 bullet after I took my Fancy Hammer and fancy pure lead bullet and drove it through the Bore and Measure the Lands .
    The bullets do not need to be sized as the Matt's Bullets size them Larger than the Lands measurement that I took which was a Little less than .431 so I dont think I want to be shooting smaller bullet's than .432 and feel like .432 bullets will suit my Gun.

Without having to throw anything at the Issue ,although it could be other things ,I feel like I have been trying to put a bullet of .432 into a case that is more than likely .429-.430.
    Cant figure out how to do that without either shaving lead down or Making the Hole bigger in the case.
    Probably just by using a case expansion Plug so the case will allow the the Bigger bullet to seat easier and deeper.

IF I knew what the case wall thickness of 44 Special Starline Brass is I wo
    uld betterknow what the issue is.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I use postimages for image hosting. It works easy enough.

It does sound like you have a pretty tight chambered gun. If that's the case, consider yourself darn lucky.
    That would be nice.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by bcraig View Post
    That would be nice.
    Been a while since I used imgur and didn't remember which size to go with.

I do remember that whatever size I used last time would take a third of the page and wanted to make sure I did not do that again.
    Next time I will just try original size so they wont appear so tiny!

I am sure there has got to be a way to make the existing images bigger but I sure dont know how to do it!!

Maybe there will somebody that will read this and tell me how to do it.

If your groove is less than .431... you'd probably be just fine using a .431 bullet.

My Winchester 92 44 Magnum measures .4302 across the largest section (smaller than .430 across the other two sections) and I use .430 sized bullets without any issue. Granted I've not experimented significantly with it, but my 44 special loads using .430 sized RCBS 44-250-K shot clean as a whistle, and of course so did the gas checked bullets I had on hand sized .430.

The point is, (not trying to say you shouldn't use .432 bullets) if you happen across some .431 bullets, don't turn them down, they might work just dandy for you.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bcraig View Post
    My Fancu Pant Measuring stick/Micrometer told me that I needed a .432 bullet after I took my Fancy Hammer and fancy pure lead bullet and drove it through the Bore and Measure the Lands .
    The bullets do not need to be sized as the Matt's Bullets size them Larger than the Lands measurement that I took which was a Little less than .431 so I dont think I want to be shooting smaller bullet's than .432 and feel like .432 bullets will suit my Gun.

Without having to throw anything at the Issue ,although it could be other things ,I feel like I have been trying to put a bullet of .432 into a case that is more than likely .429-.430.
    Cant figure out how to do that without either shaving lead down or Making the Hole bigger in the case.
    Probably just by using a case expansion Plug so the case will allow the the Bigger bullet to seat easier and deeper.

IF I knew what the case wall thickness of 44 Special Starline Brass is I wo
    uld betterknow what the issue is.
    in theory the wall thickness doesnt matter as your expander plug works on inside of it..not the outside.
    had really left field thought while waiting for trout to play ball this afternoon(trout didnt only an unwanted eel) see if a 6mm plastic airsoft pellet will sit inside the nose cavity of the boolit..... just for seating.... the seater will be pushing in pellet that should ,if it drops by any amount into cavity,be pushing on inside of cavity instead of the lips.....
    see what you mean re not wanting to squeaze boolit smaller....so yeah your only option is making the hole in case bigger.... fine line indeed.

Boolit Man
    I got the .434-.430 powder through expander Plug from Noe and after changing out the Factory Lee ExpanderPlug with the Noe Parts and setting it up with a few tweeks to the Lee die I have the cases where they will seat a bullet by hand in the case,no problems with the case being too small for the .432 Bullet.
    Also filled the Bullet seating stem with JB Steel Putty to make it a flat instead of a rounded bullet profile so that issue is solved as well.