Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seating stem for soft Lead Hollowpoint 44 Special?

Boolit Man

Seating stem for soft Lead Hollowpoint 44 Special?

I bought some of Matt's Bullets to Load in 44 special .
    They are the 250 Grain Hollowpoint Plainbase that has a Big Hollowpoint ,Basically the same bullet as a Lyman .429640 but Plainbase and I ordered mine in .432
    The Bullets I am told are 20:1 and I noticed when making up a few dummy round's that first off the Expander on the Lee 3 die set that I have that the case expander was not opening the case enough or deep enough so I will be ordering a larger one to solve that problem.

I also Noticed that the seating stem is making the Hollow point smaller as Pressure is applied to start seating the bullet.
    I figure that at least some of this is caused by the expansion on the cases not being enough and when I get the new case expander a lot of that may go away.

However I may decide to go with an even softer lead hollowpoint say a 40:1 or may even try just a so called pure lead bullet.

I would like to know how yall modify the seating stem from a round nose to a round nose Flat Hollow point bullet shape ?

I remember Modifying the seating stem on another set of dies 30 Plus years ago for use with Bullets I cast from an LBT WFN mold ,I think I remember that I used some form of JB weld(either the putty or the regular JB)and the bullets were much harder(Water dropped clip on wheelweight's)But dont know if that Modification for the flatpoints will work for the soft Hollowpoint's .

I bought these bullet's for the Huge HollowPoint and so dont want the seating of it to lessen the size or shape of the Hollowpoint as I want all the expansion I can get at the 900 to 1,000 FPS that I will be shooting them from my Rossi 92 16 inch Carbines Barrel.

I modify my seating stems to be just a flat punch for such applications if I don't have a SWC plug that's suitably large. Filling the nose ith JBWeld would work just fine, as will facing it off square.

In a pinch, I've faced them by spinning in a drill and using the dremel tool against them.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Man
    Thank's
    I have some JB around the House and will do that this weekend.
    By the way I have looked at The BulletMatch and it is very informative.

Quote Originally Posted by bcraig View Post
    Thank's
    I have some JB around the House and will do that this weekend.
    By the way I have looked at The BulletMatch and it is very informative.
    Thanks.

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Master
    My RCBS seating die comes with round and flat seating stems. I think I got a Lyman set that does the same thing.

I've called down the RCBS and asked for some help in getting a seating stem to fit some bullets I had. They sent me 3-4 stems, everything they had that would be close to get me going.

I also have contacted Lyman with the similar requests, they didn't sent me what I needed, which was a #8 top punch for 30-30 dies, but they sent the #465 round nose, that I converted to flat quickly enough.

Lead Alloy Calculator

I will be ordering a larger one to solve that problem..
    This, along with a flat top seating stem should cure all your problems.... well, at least with seating that boolit anyway.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    at a pinch..the flare die has a flat that COULD be used to poke boolit into position....maybe???

Boolit Man
    Thank's to all
    I appreciate it

Boolit Grand Master

Several ways to do this and something to look at.

1) a flat punch may help but under heavy seating pressure may still deform some.
    2 JB weld will make a fitted punch easily. If you dont want the hollow point deformed then make the new stem with a plug to fill the hollow point. Be sure to coat the bullet with
    several coats of release agent. Wax or similar. Some of the newer epoxies will bond thru oil and grease based release agents.
    3) Look at the hollow points as seated now. Is the whole hollow point closed or just the top edge. Just the top edge may be a "plus"as this might help keep it from plugging up and not expanding. I believe speer made a bullet where the base of the hollow point was bigger than the opening for this reason

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Several ways to do this and something to look at.

1) a flat punch may help but under heavy seating pressure may still deform some.
    2 JB weld will make a fitted punch easily. If you dont want the hollow point deformed then make the new stem with a plug to fill the hollow point. Be sure to coat the bullet with
    several coats of release agent. Wax or similar. Some of the newer epoxies will bond thru oil and grease based release agents.
    3) Look at the hollow points as seated now. Is the whole hollow point closed or just the top edge. Just the top edge may be a "plus"as this might help keep it from plugging up and not expanding. I believe speer made a bullet where the base of the hollow point was bigger than the opening for this reason
    No, the hollow is not closed completely,I did not measure with the mic but I can see that is flattened somewhat.
    As far as hollowpoint bullet design think of the Lyman Devastor in Plainbase instead of being gas checked.

From what I understand the 250 Grain with 20:1 alloy will be about 10 Brinell hardness and will give good expansion at around 850 FPS-950 FPS or so depending on target medium and will fragment the nose from the same alloy at around 1,000 or so when shot into a tough Medium such as paper catalogs or phonebooks then continue to mushroom some much like A Nosler bullet Performs.
    Since I wanted a bullet and load that would give low recoil and good expansion at about 850-950 no more than a 1,000 fps I think that it will work for my purposes.

Boolit Master
    When I run into a fat nose I use a drill and pointed grind stone to open up the stem=then order a replacement. I cast my 44 boolits at .436 and size .432 for the throat size. It depends on the gun what I size for. You should be able to screw the die down more and bell more and the .432 should work. Maybe see if one will seat without resizing and give a good roll crimp if using in the same gun.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 11-28-2023 at 01:23 AM.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by 45DUDE View Post
    When I run into a fat nose I use a drill and pointed grind stone to open up the stem=then order a replacement. I cast my 44 boolits at .436 and size .432 for the throat size. It depends on the gun what I size for. You should be able to screw the die down more and bell more and the .432 should work. Maybe see if one will seat without resizing and give a good roll crimp if using in the same gun.

No, it will not come anywhere close to seating straight from the rifle.
    Just sits on top of the case without coming even remotely close enough to seating.
    It will bell enough to get the bullet started in the case with a chamfering but the flare is at a very steep angle and will not go deep enough to be able to seat the .432 10 Brinell hardness bullet into the case without shaving the bullet..

Boolit Master
    No, it will not come anywhere close to seating straight from the rifle.
    Just sits on top of the case without coming even remotely close enough to seating.
    It will bell enough to get the bullet started in the case with a chamfering but the flare is at a very steep angle and will not go deep enough to be able to seat the .432 10 Brinell hardness bullet into the case without shaving the bullet..
    Have you slugged your barre? I use Dillon dies. I Have some spare RCBS presses and think I have some RCBS dies and will see what they do with a .432 flat base boolit. I have 185-310 gr. boolits. You may have a die problem. I do use a little car wax when I tumble the cases that makes for smoother loading.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 11-28-2023 at 03:15 AM.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by 45DUDE View Post
    I use Dillon dies. I think I have some RCBS and will see what they do with a .432 flat base boolit. I have 185-310 gr. boolits. You may have a die problem. I do use a little car wax when I tumble the cases that makes for smoother loading.
    I am using Lee 3 die 44 Special/44 Magnum dies,I think the only die problem I have is that the bullet flaring or bullet case belling is designed to bell the case enough for a .429 to a .430 Hard Jacketed bullet to be seated and not a relatively Soft Cast Lead bullit that is .432 .
    Hard to Imagine a Case flaring of only .429-.430 being able to seat a soft cast 250 Grain bullet of .432 deep enough without shaving some of the bullet.

But I am going to get a Noe 430-434 I mean a 434-430 case expander Plug that I will be using for the Matts Bullets .432 Hollowpoint 250 Grain Hollowpoint.
    To see if that will expand the case enough and deep enough to properly seat the the soft lead bullets without shaving the bullets.
    Last edited by bcraig; 11-28-2023 at 03:46 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Yup, that expander should solve your problem - and if you have a slight rounding of the HP consider if that will assist in loading as well. I'm guessing also that that slight rounding may cause the rim to collapse into the hollowpoint upon impact and expanding, perhaps increasing penetration slightly.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I just picked up a hand full of fired 44 brass. I can easy push a .432 boolit in with my finger. I checked the flair on my brass using my Dillon and it's .436 at the mouth.

Boolit Man
    I dont know what to tell you other than that will absolutely not work in my situation.
    I suppose there could be a lot of maybe's.

I am using 1 fired brass from My Rossi 92 chamber,
    The brass is Starline 44 brass ,I dont know what the case wall thickness is,Maybe that has something to do with it.
    Or that the Ammo was only loaded By HSM to about 850 FPS from their Revolve with I believe was a 5.5 inch barrel which maybe did not present enough Pressure to to really enlarge the case,dont know what the dimeter of bullets that they loaded were ,Maybe they sized their brass on the small side ?

I do know that a case is too small unless I put a pretty good belling and a a good chamfer on the case before the .432 bullet will start to seat in the case as a matter of fact I opened up the belling on the case so much that it would barely fit inside the seating die.

Was the 44 fired brass that you used to easily put the .432 bullet brass that had been full length from your gun ?
    Was it fired from from a Rifle or Pistol? Could it have been fired with a High pressure load from an oversize shamber to stack tolerances to the upper end of fired case dimensions to easilly accept a .432 bullet?

All I know for a fact is that I am unable to seat a .432 soft lead bullet completley inside of my cases without shaving some lead.
    off in the process .

When you say that your flare is at .436 and you are able to seat the .432 bullet by hand do you mean that you are able to seat about 1/8 into the case to start the bullet into the case and then to seat the bullet all the way using the press ?

Surely you are not able to easily push the the bullet all the way into the case by merely using easy Pressure from just your finger then just crimp the bullet ?

Boolit Grand Master

If that was a fired and unsized case of course you can. If it is a sized case, check your sizer.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I can push the .432 boolit flush with fired brass.<NO SIZING> Brass is from my Marlin Carbine-29-2 and SRH.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 11-29-2023 at 01:40 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast