Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Shot a new Stevens 308, made in Turkey, range report.

Boolit Master

Shot a new Stevens 308, made in Turkey, range report.

A neighbor who has just moved in, bought one of the new Turkish made Stevens in .308 the other day, and bought it down to me to zero for him. He is a great guy, dont know much about guns and asked me to help him, so I obliged. He had bought the gun new, and added a Hawke 4x12x40 with standard crosshairs, at a LGS. They had bore sighted it and the first shot was close enough at 25 yds, I adjusted the scope and went to 100yds. The first shot at 100 landed 2" high and 2" left, not bad. I adjusted the scope, and held on the bullet hole, and lo and behold, cut the top of it. I asked him if he cared if I shot a 3 shot group with his ammo, and a couple with some of mine, he said by all means. The Remington core lokt 150 gr shot 3 touching at 100 yds with no paper between them. A handload of old Winchester 168 gr HPs and BLC-2 went into a ragged hole for a 1/2" group, and some PPU 150 gr shot a loose cloverleaf, less than 3/4" at 100 yds. For a gun that cost $379, it shot dag good, the single feed mag reminded me of a Tikka, and the recoil was light for a syn stock 308. With a little lubrication and break it, should be a good serviceable, accurate rifle. Just thought I would share.

Boolit Master
    dang savage and stevens cant make there own guns in the usa?? after 100 + years

The walnut stocked version looks great and is on sale for $379 at Gunbuyer right now
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	334445555.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	9.4 KB 
ID:	320243
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks for your report. Many of the cheap guns in the last decade or so have shown remarkable accuracy. My Compass is like that.

BTW, good job helping your buddy out!
    Don Verna

Shot a new Stevens 308, made in Turkey, range report.

savage/stevens is marketing this gun for beginning hunters. savage/ steven’s is also coming out with a turkish made semi-auto 12 gage. supposed to msrp for $550 I believe. if i did more small game hunting i would definitely be taking a look at that shotgun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by turtlezx View Post
    dang savage and stevens cant make there own guns in the usa?? after 100 + years
    Their .22 rifles have been made in Canada for quite a while.
    Thanks, Sam for the report.
    I’m still looking for one to handle at the store(s).
    It amazes me how the new inexpensive rifles shoot as good from the box as our “free floated/ glass bedded/tweaked on”rifles did back in the day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    The wood stocked model is a nice looking version! Dang. Gun money is dried up at the moment but this might be on the list for after xmas

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the report!

I think Outdoor Life named this rifle as the best inexpensive rifle of the year. The only negative thing I've read about it is that the trigger is heavy.

I actually think that it is a nice looking rifle. I'm tempted to get a wood one in 6.5 for my daughter/me. It has to be better than the Axis I picked up for cheap about 4 years ago.

I agree it's amazing how accurate inexpensive rifles are/can be these days.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My only caveat would be that Savage could decide to drop it any time, and you might be stuck with a gun you can't get parts for. Regardless of what a nice rifle it is, if it doesn't sell then it won't be around very long. The T/C Compass is almost certainly headed for the same fate, and I'm surprised Mossberg is still carrying their own bolt actions given they don't sell well at all around here
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Thanks for the range report. Thats pretty impressive. Glad to see you helping out a neighbor/friend. Happy Thanksgiving for yesterday!
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator