RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any advantage to 460 rowland over 45 super?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Rowland doesn't seem to care what the frame of the pistol is made of, but, he does put limits on the slide and does not seem to recommend stainless slides.
    Well he has a conversion kit for the Fn Fnx 45 which comes from the factory with a stainless slide

Boolit Bub
    I ran across a good show on You Tube about super and rowland. The music sucks but worth putting up with for the content. The channel is Go big or go home. And the show is 5 variations of 45 ACP. I think the trademark stuff explains alot.

I understand the op wants to shoot 460 performance without the cost and I get where Rowland wanted make 460 power possible without the risk of a lawsuit and create something with his name on it.

When I got my Clark set up I felt pretty safe knowing they set up the kit. I have always liked the way that outfit operated. What I realize now is, a fella better be pretty up to speed on the dynamics of alot of variables to be sure he is safe with 460 performance from super. I know I wasn't and feel kind of lucky I didn't try stuff with super ahead of time. Maybe I am getting soft in my old age, three $$ something for the kit and the extra for the brass didn't bother me at all knowing what I do now. I didn't understand what I didn't know.

My last thought is, 20 years from now, my kinds and grandkids will be cleaning up all my old **** and someone might dump all the 45 ammo into a big bowl like Hickok 45 does, for a big final send off for me. What if there's a 45 ACP built back when they needed 3 lugs in the barrel because the metal was ****.

This is a good thread to learn alot about how everything works together, Be Iowa nice, keep it going with good info and ideas and call out the BS, we might all learn something and save a few fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Longranger44 View Post
    Considering the fact that 357 Sig runs at the same pressure I'd say most pistols, obviously Glock FN Springfield HK and 1911s since they are listed by Rowland
    This is some really poor logic. The 357 Sig may run at the same pressure as the Rowland, but there's significantly more meat in the chamber walls of a 357 Sig barrel than the same gun chambered in the Rowland. Sad thing is, some young guy who doesn't know any better will read that and go and get himself a missing finger... or worse.

That being said, I think you're basic premise is sound. As long as the gun is set up to deal with the slide velocity that Rowland level loads dish out, you're good to go. It's not my cup of tea, personally, as I see the chase for velocity as a fools errand in a handgun, especially in a semi-auto. But if you've got yourself convinced... have at it.

Boolit Master
    Absolutely NOT sure you may get away with for a few shots but at some point your gun and maybe the shooter will suffer major catastrophic damage as result.

There way more to getting energy safely from a gun than just the case capacity. You need to take time to educate yourself.

I am not trying to be a jerk here but there a ****loads of videos and stories online showing guns blow to pieces by folks who just look at case capacity and don't research the engineering or science behind the developement of loads.

Short example the compensator on a 460 Rowland conversion serves a very specific purpose, what is that purpose?

Spring rates and buffer tubes do what?

Same loads (powder weight and bullet weight along with same seating depth) in a 45 ACP vs a 45 Super has what impact on case pressure and slide velocity? How about projectile velocity? What is the pressure thus the breech face force?

In these several questions are your answers.

Boolit Bub

357 magnum, 44 magnum, 454 casull, and 460 Rowland all have what in common?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123