Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: H&R 929 revolver function trouble

Boolit Master

Question H&R 929 revolver function trouble

Picked up this revolver in a trade. It was missing the sear & sear spring, so I replaced them. Everything else seems to be in proper place, and and all parts are there as compared to the exploded view.

The problem is when attempts to operate revolver in SA or DA mode, the cylinder will not rotate. The cylinder stop operates for the fraction of a second as it should, and the lever attempts to rotate the cylinder, but doesn't complete the action before the cylinder stop engages again. It obviously is not fully engaging the cylinder notches- why?

I am looking deeper into it this morning with additional observation and disassembly. Any advice would be appreciated. I have exhausted options in my physical reference library, but have not reached the end of my powers of reason and experience- yet.

Thought I might ask the experts here. What do you suggest?
    USMC 1980-1985

Boolit Master

Well, I didn't get to it like I thought.
    Nobody have any suggestions?
    No one else with any experience on this particular handgun?
    USMC 1980-1985

Boolit Buddy
    Charlie
    I have one of those revolvers, about ten years ago I had the same problem. If memory serves me correct, if you don't put the revolver back together right it bents the spring that controls the cylinder paw. Let me dig out my records and I will let you know what to look for.
    Chuck

Boolit Master

I know which spring you are refering to- there is a small hole in the trigger guard for the spring to slide into, but it looks like the spring has been bent before. I noticed that when I disassembled it. I will wait for your additonal input. I may be able to correct that problem tomorrow. I realized that it was not getting enough forward pressure, but could not see anything that would impede that motion, or assist it further.
    Thanks.
    USMC 1980-1985

Boolit Buddy
    Charlie
    Here is a link to a schematic and parts list. http://www.e-gunparts.com/productsch...Model=1560z929 but it looks like you found the problem already. I am still looking for the paperwork on the part I ordered. Its amazing the stuff you collect over the years.
    Chuck

Boolit Master

Thanks for the link, but I have that in use already. That is one of the first places I go for up-to-date exploded views that aren't in one of my books. I print them out and use them as I take something apart or put back together. NRA Firearms Assy/Dssy manuals are wonderful, too, especially for function and step-by-step breakdowns.

I didn't say that I found the problem, just that I think you are correct in where it is located. I have to look tomorrow for sure.

When you find the paperwork, let me know.
    Thanks.

Charlie
    USMC 1980-1985

Boolit Buddy
    Charlie
    The part I replaced was part number 17 in the nra book. Hope this helps
    Chuck

Boolit Master

I've decided to go ahead and replace the lifter and the lever/ spring assy. I think the problem is the lifter, but won't know for sure until I do. The lifter is not always catching, for some reason. When I get the new parts, I am going to compare to see.
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    USMC 1980-1985

Boolit Master

It is a weak lever spring causing most of the function problems. I need to reshape the new lever to match the old, or perform the most difficult task of switching the spring.

Discovered that some previous hack had opened one of the chambers up larger than spec. It will now accept a 22WRF round. Being a 9 shot, I wonder if this could be done to the other eight and have near magnum capabilities? I would think the cylinder capabile of WRF pressures, but not WRM.

Anybody with ideas?
    USMC 1980-1985

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

H&r

I have had 100s? as I grew up.my friend has one in mag. they are a pita to assemble.you have to be very careful every thing stays in place.I dont know if they are still made as Marlin owns them now "opps" rem owns marlin.
    WILDCATT

Boolit Master

Thanks for the comment- I've taken it apart so many times, that I've got the assembly down pat. Parts are getting honed just from reassembly!
    Yea, did some measuring and check fitting, and found that a 22 WRM will also fit.
    Going to bore out the others as there is room, and since the cylinder is already damaged, then it can't hurt to see the end results.

Need to find a replacement 22 LR cylinder and ejector assembly for a H&R 929- anybody got one lying around?

Boolit Bub
    If it is one cylinder bored out what about a sleeve for it and save the rest?

Boolit Master

Charlie S;
    I've got a cyl that I can't use. Picked it up at a G/S, thinking it would fit my H&R999 but WHOOPS! Guess not.
    I've made no further attempts at ID-ing it. How many of them can there be?
    TBIYC.
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Boolit Master

PM to Pepe Ray
    USMC 1980-1985