MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blue Dot warning

Boolit Master

I have over the years read several complaints that Blue Dot can go wild in high pressure loadings in Magnum rounds . I imagine that like all the other old Hercules powders there have been changes since Alliant took over . The new 2400 looks different and seems harder to ignite in low loads and Re-7 looks nothing like the older form .

I had trouble with carefully weighed charges or Blue Dot in 357-44 B&D it would shoot very well then one shot would be way over pressure so way back in the 1980's I stopped using it in high pressure cartridges . I do like Blue Dot in 12 gauge & .45 acp thogh I have recently found WW-571 / HS7 works a bit better .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

In theory, why might this issue exist with Blue Dot specifically? I had considered trying some in 45 Super, since it was one of the powders originally experimented with, back in the 80s.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by HumptyDumpty View Post
    In theory, why might this issue exist with Blue Dot specifically? I had considered trying some in 45 Super, since it was one of the powders originally experimented with, back in the 80s.
    Felix offered this explanation/speculation back in 2008 (post #21).
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...l=1#post370874
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Felix offered this explanation/speculation back in 2008 (post #21).
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...l=1#post370874
    Thank you, good read

Boolit Master
    I agree; thanks for linking to the older thread. BD is one of my favorite powders, and it certainly is in my interest to know as much about it as possible.

That is very interesting, thanks JonB. Since I am not already invested in Blue Dot, it doesn't really sound like it's worth the potential issues, given how many other powders are available to me. But for anyone who already has some stockpiled, this information seems rather important to have.

Boolit Master

As I promised, here is my question answered from Alliant: Word for Word: That is correct we do not use blue dot in 41 magnum. This powder acts different in extreme temps thus not safe to shoot in 41 magnum. Perry L./Technical Service Rep. Gues I will have to live with that, james

Boolit Grand Master

So, only the 41 Magnum is used in "extreme temps".....
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    So, only the 41 Magnum is used in "extreme temps".....
    I'm think'n us fellas that shoot 41 mag are just a bit out of the ordinary

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I'm think'n us fellas that shoot 41 mag are just a bit out of the ordinary

Seems that way. Unfortunately, I don't have a 41 magnum pressure test barrel. However, I do have 357 and 44 Magnum test barrels. Yesterday I loaded 10 rounds each of Hercules and Alliant Blue Dot at 17.3 gr under a 240 gr cast bullet. Will be pressure testing them soon.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Larry Gibson have you ever pressure tested 9 mm with 115 grain bullets and blue dot gunpowder? Specifically 7.5-8 grains of blue dot with 115 grain FMJ bullets?

If you have can you please share your results?

I suspect that the max powder charge is due to case capacity limitations and not so much about pressure maximum limitations at least as it is concerned with 9 mm Luger.

I have noticed that the blue dot max powder charge comes up even with the case mouth which then gets compressed when the bullet is seated.

Boolit Grand Master

"Larry Gibson have you ever pressure tested 9 mm with 115 grain bullets and blue dot gunpowder? Specifically 7.5-8 grains of blue dot with 115 grain FMJ bullets?"

Sorry, have not. Have tested specific loads with Remington 115 FMJs over Bullseye, Herco, Unique, Red Dot and HS6. I'm out of 115 FMJs but do have 115 gr XTPs. I can test that load with the XTPs or can with 115 FMJs if you want to send some?
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

That would be awesome would you be interested in testing a variety of different cast hollow point bullets that I have cast and powder coated??

I have 359 hammers with the flying ashtray hollow point, couple of different 30 caliber hollow points, 358429 with and without hollow points, 357-125 9mm hollow points.

Boolit Master

Looking forward to your tests Larry. I have been a .41 magnum fan since it first came out. Elmer himself recommended it to me and I was not nor ever been disappointed with its performance. james

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Recycled bullet View Post
    That would be awesome would you be interested in testing a variety of different cast hollow point bullets that I have cast and powder coated??

I have 359 hammers with the flying ashtray hollow point, couple of different 30 caliber hollow points, 358429 with and without hollow points, 357-125 9mm hollow points.
    What cartridge(s)?

Test a specific load or work up a load?

Assuming with Blue Dot?
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

What cartridge(s)?

Test a specific load or work up a load?

Assuming with Blue Dot?
    The 30 caliber hollow points I have been testing them in 308 Winchester and 300 blackout they may have uses another 30 calibers as well two of the different hollow point designs are gas check bullets. The promising one is the RCBS silhouette I'm shooting them in 308 Winchester with IMR 3031 from a Ruger predator. I have one plain base 30 caliber mold as well. Cast and checked a bunch of these interesting little hollow points designed for 32 Magnum I want to try them in 300 blackout.

The 359 hammers and 358429s I use them in 38 special and 357 Magnum. These look so good with the hollow points. The 357 hammers I load them over 16.5 g of h110. It's like holding on to a firecracker.

357125 I load a 9 mm and 38 special.
    There's 145 Grain hollow point I have not tested it yet but I have a bunch casted coated in a bag.

Yesterday I alloyed up 80-90 pounds of a much softer alloy so I'm going to cast a bunch of bullets and test them. I'm glad that it finally cooled off some it gets pretty hot around the melting pot.

Boolit Grand Master

I can test in 308W, don't have a 300 BO test barrel

Also, can test in 9mm, 38 SPL and 357 magnum.

What loads are you interested in having tested?
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

I can test in 308W, don't have a 300 BO test barrel

Also, can test in 9mm, 38 SPL and 357 magnum.

What loads are you interested in having tested?
    Anything that you would be willing to test for me I would be grateful for. I don't want to make a bunch of work for you to have to do. The additional data points would be really cool to see. If you enjoy testing I'd like to send you a variety of different bullets.

The majority of my pistol hand loading is with Hodgdon h110, IMR 4227 and Winchester autocomp. I just got bullseye so I'm going to learn how to use that also.

I've been using IMR 3031 for what I estimate to be 2,000 ft per second in 308 Winchester with gas check RCBS sil cast bullets. I found my accuracy load at 34 grains.

Boolit Grand Master

Can you be specific about the load(s) you'd like tested?

Pressure testing is a bit more involved with equipment, components and time than chronographing so I need specifics to see if I have the equipment (test barrels) and componants to conduct the test..
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

I really want to see a pressure test results with 308 Winchester using IMR 3031@25 g, 30 g, 32 g, 34 g using the powder coated gas check RCBS silhouette bullets I've been casting. I have been loading these short at 2.54 overall length in order to fit the throat of my rifles.

I also really like to see a pressure test of 357 Magnum using Hodgdon h110 / Winchester 296 at 15 g, 16 g, 16.5 g using the powder coated deep hollow pointed 359 Hammer bullets I've been casting.
    This I seat it and crimp at the crimp groove.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast