Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Marlin 357's are here

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    Need to thin that forearm down a bunch and ditch the rubber on the butt to interest me , that and a reasonable msrp .

Peeling of that LOP rubber and going with a thin checkered plate would suit me. Frankly the common choices between a smooth metal carbine strap plate and crescent are historic but lame. A “shotgun” butt flat plate is perfect. The extra milling on the crescent and carbine wrap around preclude a better option with that same chunk of wood

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by BRatigan View Post
    I'm a Winchester guy but this rifle looks sweet. I am curious why they needed the butt pad but hey if it makes the gun more comfortable for folks than its just fine.
    I used to question the rubber butt pad also as my older JM Marlins didn't have them. But I own a Remlin with one and one advantage I have found is that in the summer months when sweat is rolling off of me the rubber pad tends to stay in place a little better.

Just sayin.....

Boolit Bub
    Give me a rubber pad over a steel plate any day of the week. Rubber pads hold on the shoulder unlike metal.

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    as far as the 41 every time I pick up my Henry I like it more and its grown on me through the years and I give it equal rating to the old marlin fg. I only wish I had waited for a carbine with the shorter barrel and loop lever. but as I expected when I invested in it when the big boy first came out the value has increased. now if only Henry would polish them one more step and put a deep blueing on them
    Like you I have one of the early model 41's, as I wasn't sure how long they would actually make the cal.
    I would have much preferred the 16" barrel also, as to the large loop. That I bought and swapped out.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

I could wish that they'd used the 336 action rather than the 1894, but at my age it's a moot point. Not buying anything new anymore.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    +1 on waiting for a rifle length without barrel bands! better looks better balance better shooting! A cowboy in 44, 357, 327, and 38/55 would suit me.

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    I actually like the overall looks of the rifle! Now if it's quiet while stalking through the woods, that would make or break a good hunt!

Looks wise, it beats the DAYLIGHTS out of the "Dark" series with picatinny rails stuck on all available sides.
    I like the looks of the new gun too Doug, although it would be a deal maker for me with the short magazine, but you couldn't chase me fast enough to give me a "Dark" gun with enough rails to hang a telescope on. I guess we are showing our age.
    Last edited by murf205; 12-30-2023 at 03:23 PM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by thadfz View Post
    I can’t get over the prices for the new Ruger Marlins. Not a working man’s gun anymore
    The henry levers aren't that much cheaper, seems levers have gone up more than others.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    Why even call it a Marlin?
    Yep,they are Rugers. And with the tarnished Marlin brand, I'd rather buy an honestly branded Ruger 336 or 1895 to separate it from "Remlins".

I also think Miroku makes Winchester copies. If Ford had made my Suburban,would it be a Chevy?

Just my opinions.

When I consider the labor involved in making a mechanically complex steel gun, I do not think the prices are out of line with the rest of the economy.

My Ruger Marlin is much nicer than my older ones. I bought mine for hunting and the barrel band won’t affect its killing accuracy-mine is a 30-30.

Years ago, I had the 357 Cowboy model with an 24 inch octagon barrel. It was plenty accurate for target shooting with the barrel band.

Boolit Mold
    Not sure if I want to wait on the 44 , 45 version of go ahead with the 357

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123