Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: What lever action rifle…

Boolit Bub

What lever action rifle…

What lever rifle bore diameter matches its pistol counterpart? I have a Marlin 1894 44mag and a Ruger Super RedHawk 44 mag. No way same cast boolits work in both. My Marlin takes .433/.434 while the Ruger .431. Does the SAAMI specs for any pistol caliber rounds match pistol & rifle or are they all larger on the rifle?

Boolit Master

I think the only caliber that is different between rifle and pistol is the 44 mag. All others are the same to my knowledge.

Moderator Emeritus

Dman75,
    Welcome to the website.

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking?
    BUT, the measurement in question is "Groove" diameter, not Bore Diameter.
    and your SAAMI numbers are incorrect.
    Pistol is .429
    Rifle is .431

Quote Originally Posted by Dman75 View Post
    SNIP>>>
    or are they all larger on the rifle?
    I can answer this question.
    While they should be, the answer is nope.

I hope that helps.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    I think the only caliber that is different between rifle and pistol is the 44 mag. All others are the same to my knowledge.
    there is the venerable 45 colt.
    SAAMI may spec that they are all the same, we know that the manufacturers like to vary them some, LOL.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Boolit Master
    I know the .357Marlin, Colt DA and SAA I had all used the same dia bullets and did so fairly well. But, they all shot best with different loads.

My Henry All-weather slugs .4300 groove diameter.

Boolit Bub
    I realize manufacturing tolerances will be what they are+/- .002 etc. My numbers above were my cast boolit size. My groove dimensions are +.002 (.433)on the Marlin and pretty much spot on in the Ruger (.429). Thus my .004 difference. If I cast for the Marlin, loaded ammo does not fit cylinders of the Ruger. If I load smaller diameter the Marlin shoots like crap. I know I just need different sizes. I am thinking of a .357 Mag next but didn’t want to hunt for molds that were so far oversized. Took me some time to get the Marlin shooting good. Finally got the right size mold and a good load. Trying to cut the development time down some. Although I now know sooo much more than before from this site and reading everything I can.

Banner Sponsor

Is your Marlin a microgroove barrel? I wonder if that's why it's larger?

Boolit Bub
    No not micro groove. It’s of the Remlin era. Shoots pretty good now. Took my first buck with it last yr. Hoping #2 will be next week. Love hunting with the lever and iron sights. So much fun

Moderator Emeritus

I realize manufacturing tolerances will be what they are+/- .002 etc. My numbers above were my cast boolit size. My groove dimensions are +.002 (.433)on the Marlin and pretty much spot on in the Ruger (.429). Thus my .004 difference. If I cast for the Marlin, loaded ammo does not fit cylinders of the Ruger. If I load smaller diameter the Marlin shoots like crap. I know I just need different sizes. I am thinking of a .357 Mag next but didn’t want to hunt for molds that were so far oversized. Took me some time to get the Marlin shooting good. Finally got the right size mold and a good load. Trying to cut the development time down some. Although I now know sooo much more than before from this site and reading everything I can.
    OK, now I understand your post.
    You shouldn't have any problems with 357mag.
    ...and a little bit of information about me, I use to be a big fan of 44 mag, but 12 years ago, I started casting for a Marlin 44mag and ran into the same problems you had, plus the twist rate issue. Then in 2015, I decided to downsize my hobby and chose to sell all my 44 mag guns/tooling and switch to loading/casting/shooting 41 mag pistols and Rifles instead. All those problems are gone.
    Another thought about your current situation. Although I wouldn't do it, you could enlarge your Ruger 44 cylinder throats (and chambers if necessary) to fit your .433 boolits.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I always used the same dia .45 boolits in my .45colt cas loads, 250 gr in my 1894 rifle and 200 gr in my ruger vaqueros. I would have used 200 in both but the Marlin shot the 250s better.

Boolit Bub
    Who makes a 41 Mag? That’d be a fun gun.

Boolit Master

In the early 90's, I had a Marlin in .41 magnum. Sweet little lever gun. I wish someone would have kicked my butt before I sold it, and told me; Don't sell that!
    You stated that the loaded rounds with boolits to fit the Marlin would not fit into the chambers of the Ruger. Will they go into the chambers and stop at the throat? If so, you just need the throats honed out for the larger boolits. Try pushing one of the larger cast boolits for the Marlin through the throats. If they won't go through, get hold of the member "DougGuy". He does great work at a reasonable price.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Moderator Emeritus

Who makes a 41 Mag? That’d be a fun gun.
    Henry and Marlin.
    I am hopeful that Ruger comes out with a 1894 Ruglin in 41 mag, but that may be a couple years out.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Master
    If you like to clean after every outing, it’s very difficult two get a rifle / revolver combo to shoot well and to the sights with the same loads. Lead or leading should be thought of as throat / barrel alignment, barrel repair if it is required. Within the the last year, a new Henry X, No 1, 2x69s, a Bad Boy, and 2 Blackhawks, all shoot well with .4305 slugs. It just takes more rounds between them if they are clean to get there. All slug clean in the low, .429s for what it’s worth. All throats are .431 clean, .430 after fouling.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Henry and Marlin.
    I am hopeful that Ruger comes out with a 1894 Ruglin in 41 mag, but that may be a couple years out.
    Actually Henry is the only company currently making a 41 mag. lever gun.
    Marlin "did" make a couple of small runs in the 41 mag., but it's been a Long time since they did.
    I'd like to see Ruger make one, but personally I don't see it happening.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Pereira View Post
    Actually Henry is the only company currently making a 41 mag. lever gun.
    Marlin "did" make a couple of small runs in the 41 mag., but it's been a Long time since they did.
    I'd like to see Ruger make one, but personally I don't see it happening.

RP
    True.
    BUT, there is some Marlin's out there 'For Sale' today. Right now there are four on gunbroker ...all are Minty or unfired NIB, Which is typical of the used 41 mag marlins, few people who own them shoots them I guess? So it's like buying a new gun. BTW, one is a 2004 and one is 2005, which isn't really a long time ago, at least to me (an old geezer).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Much like John B, I have also had good luck in 41 Mag. My Marlin FG likes boolits sized at .411-.412. Ruger Redhawk likes the same as does the Ruger Blackhawk. I shoot lots of the older Lyman 41028 in all three guns. I also have RCBS 210 SWC mold and it does quite well in both pistols but the Marlin chokes on feeding it.

Guess I will add some more. In 357 my Marlin 1894C prefers .360 while the Security Six prefers 358. The 32-20's Marlin prefers .313 as does the little Savage 23C, Ruger BuckEye likes em best at .312 and a couple of Smiths like them really fat at .315, oh, and wife's Colt also prefers .315. In 45 Colt my Marlin Cowboy likes them at .454 and the Blackhawk wants .452. 44 Mag is not much better, Marlin needs .434 and Ruger BlackHawk at .432.