Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lever action 22

Boolit Buddy

Lever action 22

Hope it okay to post about 22's I have been looking around for a lever action 22. I should have bought a Marlin or Winchester when they were making them but I didn't. There are several that fall in my price range. Some I know a little about, others I didn't even know the made a Lever 22. Henry and Rossi I know a little about. Chiappa and Heritage Manufacturing I didn't know they made one. Browning don't look bad but at the upper end on price. Any body know anything about any of these? Or maybe one not listed. My hope is that Rugar will make a new 39A

I have a Henry with heavy octagonal barrel, fitted with a Leupold 1X-5X scope it is an excellent and reliable rifle.
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Edit: my friends Rossi is a .357 not a .22. His .22 lever gun is a Henry golden boy. Also very nice.
    Last edited by marvelshooter; 11-17-2023 at 12:36 PM.

Boolit Master
    The Browning (Moroku) BL-22 is the top of the heap now days, but I know several who have Henry rifles and love them.

Boolit Grand Master
    Wish you had posted a few months ago as I sold a few this year. I only have one .22 lever action left after downsizing.

IMO the Henry is a decent gun at a decent (for today's economy) price. I sold mine because I was not using it but I had no complaints.

The 9422 is a great gun but they are expensive. Only available used.
    Don Verna

My first 22 was a Browning lever action 22. Not sure the model, but it is now 42 years old and still works fine. I have shot thousands of rounds through it. Not sure if the new ones are as good, but they probably are. Spend more and cry once. Go cheap and cry twice.
    BNE
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

I'm very pleased with my Marlin Mountie. Mine is the short barreled, take down model. Used guns are widely available, and there are several on Gun Broker and Guns International right now.

Boolit Master
    I might get flack for this but.... Wal Mart has the Golden Boy Henry with heavy octagonal barrel for around 499-559 all over. I have one and love it. Its almost to nice to just gab and take out to shoot. I honestly can say the most fun anyone can have with a 22 bullet IMHO. I have a Rossi in 357 and love that but its not a 22.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Buddy
    A few years ago I bought a Henry "youth" model with a shorter stock for the Grandkids. That rifle is just crazy good. The Boys love shooting it and so do I. I'll be getting one in .22 mag soon .

Boolit Master

I bought a Henry Youth model about a decade ago. My grandson put maybe 500 through it that summer. Works flawlessly. In the safe waiting for the next grandchild wanting to shoot it. BTW, I like to carry it when on a walkabout along creek and fields.

Moderator Emeritus

Find a Marlin 39a if you can. Marlin's just fit me best. I do have a Henry (actually two) but for some reason I just don't care for them. They are well made, etc but just don't feel right to me and have them for kids/grandkids. Good luck.

Marlin 39a but they've gotten mighty spendy.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

If you can stomach the aesthetics (I can't), the Henrys are good shooters. Recommend you find a good 39A, pay the asking price, and not hold your breath waiting for Ruger - it's unlikely to come and less likely to be cheaper.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    94/22's can still be found at semi-affordable prices. A nice one locally is $679 (& no sales tax).
    Their values will only go up, unlike the cheaper stuff that is still being produced.

Boolit Master

The top of the lever action 22's as far as I am concerned is the older Marlin 39a's. I have one that the action is smooth as butter and the trigger is very light after having been polished and adjusted by an old time gunsmith in the late 60's. It is a 1966 model. my .02 and experience anyway, james
    Last edited by TNsailorman; 11-18-2023 at 12:22 PM.

Boolit Master

I picked up a Marlin 97 in a trade ( about $200 ). It needs a little work, missing one screw and may need a liner. Last year at a gun show I saw two at different tables and both were priced over $3500. These two were not in good enough shape to be considered collectable. Is anyone willing to pay that much for a possible shooter?

I have both the plain Jane Henry H001 and a Goldenboy. Although they have gone up a little in price since I bought my H001, they are still the best deal around for a new levergun. Not as nice as a Marlin or Winchester, but they work !

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post
    94/22's can still be found at semi-affordable prices. A nice one locally is $679 (& no sales tax).
    Their values will only go up, unlike the cheaper stuff that is still being produced.
    All the ones I have seen around here, in the last couple years at gun shows, were over $1200

Boolit Master

At least a $k here. I wouldn’t take less for mine even if I would sell it.

My ranking 9422, 39a, Browning BL22 then Henry. Then all shoot. The Henry is zamack pot metal alloy. The BL22 is alloy in the lower action but a steel upper .

Boolit Master
    I purchased a Henry lever .22 through their hunter ed program. A month later, I threw a lowball bid on a Marlin 39a and got it. While I will keep both, I am happier with the 39a. I have since taken the scope off of the Marlin and put on a Skinner peep.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    7br aka Mark B.

On the internet, I am 6ft tall, good looking and can dance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast