Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: two dogs and a dead cat on trail camera

Boolit Master

two dogs and a dead cat on trail camera

I pulled the SD card on a trail camera I have had out for a month there was a dead black cat in front of the camera . The camera is about 400 feet north of my house on it was a lot of possum , next up was deer including a small racked 6 point and a spike with a tiny fork on one side , Raccoons 4 at once in one night image , two Quill pigs (porcupines) and two bobcat and a coyote . Most images were in the dark including me heading out to my blind . I have never seen these dogs but heard serval barking today and running south and west of my blind , it is deer season here second day .

From what I could tell from tracks the dogs caught the cat in a wet grassy area about 50 yards away and the scuffle ended at the camera . I have never seen these dogs and the further one seems to have a oddly shaped face ? Any ideas what breed they might be?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dogs.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	135.0 KB 
ID:	320020
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Buddy

Free running dogs don't usually make it back home where I come from especially during deer season! Plenty of domestic house cats get dumped here on the farm by city folks who don't want to care for the nice cute "kitty" once the cat matures. Cats are desert for the yoties. Ya see them for a few days and then you don't. Too bad people dump their unwanted pets.

I had way more problems with dumped dogs than dumped cats. I had cattle and if they left them alone I returned the favor. First time I saw them chasing cows it was the 3 S's.

I did have a male cat of a neighbor's who insisted on pissing on my front door rug once. He got the same treatment.

If you've ever experienced cat piss you know exactly what the problem was.

Shag and Nasty?
    Whatever!

Not at all common, but they look like they could be a mix with Irish Wolf Hound, not that it makes a difference. If feral, they're quite dangerous no matter what breed may be in them.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Boolit Master
    Are you willing to chance a FAMILY member being bit and under going RABIES shots. What about GRAND kids..? They are up to NO GOOD..

Boolit Master

I have not had this many stray dogs and cats since the obama years when many people in the area lost their homes . I do know these dogs can be dangerous so can the feral cats . In 2010 I was charged by a 90 lb. Rottweiler in my front yard it was knocked flat by a Corebon 165 grain +P hollow point from .45 acp Just before animal control arrived. There was no problems the animal was feral a second dog was taken away it was someone's and was taken care of.
    Cats have actually caused me more problems I do not mind these dogs killing one a bit. I have had cats piss all over the front porch and back porch they kill rabbits and grouse in the yard too . I have also had them poop on the porches for some reason and one attacked my dog then came after me . it took three .22 hollow points to turn the attack two more to anchor the thing I missed once . Stitches and shots on Wally ,my Corgi, cost me $150

When I get in town I am going to have a print made to show around I currently have coyote size traps out that will hold a dog and if they do belong to someone I doubt they will be returned but the owners will be warned . I am sure these are the dogs I heard running south and west of my blind yesterday morning but I am wearing hearing protection with amplification and am not sure how far way they were .
    P.S. high winds and heavy rain this morning I think I will wait to head to blind ....
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Moderator Emeritus

I've only had one instance of two stray dogs on my property. Couple of yells and shots into an embankment and they never came back. Ranch 1/2 mile from our place (nearest neighbor) has a cat that comes around near our chickens. Scared it off twice, third time might be a bit more permanent if it goes near my girls.

Cats are tough animals to put down with a .22rf. I've found a 12ga. to be a quicker solution, though much more noise.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Boolit Master
    dogs and cats that were once pets seem to turn feral very quickly once they are dropped off in rural area. in the area where I am is very rural and there is a major river that has a low highway bridge over it and it is a haven for people to drop off unwanted pets. even the sheriff has come out to put down feral dogs for the old lady across the way. for years I tried to shoot a very wise old big feral tomcat, not easy at all. with the 22 I had a bunch of frustrating misses, cats being hunted in the wilds are fast, the closest I got I was able to get a couple #4 pellets into it with a full choked 12 gauge with my full power turkey loads. this cat was a big problem killing and maming several of my barn cats and completely wiping out several kitten litters. that cats gone now and the current problem is with coyotes and foxes.

Moderator Emeritus

Coyote explosion here so feral dogs and cats do not have a chance... someone dropped off a at 2 weeks ago. It would come to me to be petted then run... it lasted 3 days... gone and it wasn't a cat named Frisbee laying in the street! I heard the 'yotes hunting the night it disappeared! They have a different howl and bark when hunting. None are coming into town yet... if they do I may have some pelts to tan this winter!

Boolit Master

No such thing as feral dogs out here. They are low on the food chain in our woods.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Buddy
    I would NOT advertise what you are doing or what you have planned for the critters. Just do it quietly. Yes, follow the 3's rule.
    You do not need to get involved with the legal system. And if not the legal system, then you do not want to be looking over your back all the time or checking for nails in your tires or bits of poision food waiting for your dog.
    Dog owners who let their dogs stray, chase cattle or horses through fences, kill chickens etc. do not need to be informed of their animal's behavior. They already know.
    Neighbors up the road had two golden labs that put some cattle through the fences, and they were later found in the pasture at ambient temperature. Wasn't me. BTW, I like dogs.
    Forgot to mention. We have a cross breed of dogs now that are called Coydogs. Very difficult to shoot. No natural fear of humans. They breed over at the Indian reserve. Surprised? No.
    Last edited by Polymath; 11-17-2023 at 03:09 PM. Reason: addition

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    They have a different howl and bark when hunting. None are coming into town yet..
    They have a language they communicate with the barks.
    About dark, they'll just sing to let each other know where they are. Then there's a 'hey, come help me kill this' bark too.

If they aren't in your city yet,,,,, they will be.
    In the city, here- I've found they are on the move and hunt in daytime too, but usually alone.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I've a coyote who wanders across my property at odd intervals and usually leaves poop on my driveway. It's not steady dog, I've seen him every now and then when I'm either not armed or just not where I can shoot at him. So far no cows or calves hurt....

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

My late brother knew the law well concerning wandering livestock molesting dogs.
    I never agreed with his hanging shot dogs on the fence; but he did it anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I knew a farmer years ago that would drag them in the road and run them over when they got after his cattle . He said that way if someone looked for them it looked like a car got them . He did call a neighbor when his Doberman went after his wife told him to come get his dog it was bleeding in the yard . The guy called the police and ended up charged with causing his own dogs death by neglect .

Pat, pat, pat. You seen my.....what.....
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

We follow a family on youtube that is a animal sanctuary down near Houston.

Among the rescue live stock type animals, they have I think, 3 ostriches.
    They also have a coyote problem. The other day, some stupid coyote got in the pen with the ostriches.
    I'd heard they were vicious----- The male ostrich tore the coyote's head completely off.
    Then he strutted around all the next day, proud of protecting his area from the predator.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    We follow a family on youtube that is a animal sanctuary down near Houston.

Among the rescue live stock type animals, they have I think, 3 ostriches.
    They also have a coyote problem. The other day, some stupid coyote got in the pen with the ostriches.
    I'd heard they were vicious----- The male ostrich tore the coyote's head completely off.
    Then he strutted around all the next day, proud of protecting his area from the predator.
    They are vicious! Have killed people!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast