Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: two dogs and a dead cat on trail camera

Boolit Master
    This morning was good to see three little old ladies with their broken down rescue dogs going around the mile together. My toothless chihuahua, a three legged terrier, and a belly dragging mutt, taking their mommies for a walk. Nice out at 10AM, 70F, I drove the car around the neighborhood looking for wildlife, could not find the yotes anywhere but plenty of geezers out. Coyotes like quiet, not a dog park.
    It's a medical emergency if one of these geezers falls down and they routinely do.
    That's life in the old folks village.

The Sheriff auxillery has a bicycle patrol that rides the washes and alleys and they are very interested in the puma, too. The Pima County Sheriff does a very visible job of patrolling, we are on one of the illegal trails that parallel Rt 19, Border Patrol flies a small plane that hovers nose into the wind, just hangs high up there without a sound, looks like a UFO with a small blinking red light. With modern optics in the desert air they can see from Nogales to Tucson, and keep track of the mayhem on Rt 19. I wonder if they could spot a puma with night vision.

I had forgotten what a great weapon at 50 feet a wristrocket is, 5/8" smooth stones are everywhere.
    With practice two shots in three seconds, my early training is returning.
    Sheriff said don't break any windows. Count on me...

Boolit Master

.429&h110 I remember those rocks on the desert well they were mostly black in my area I did not have a wrist rocket but did have a slingshot . I did get a wrist rocket at about 12 years old here in Michigan was never bothered by anyone about it . Years later I saw what Michigan's crazy laws were on carrying them I do not know if any of those laws have been repealed or enforced ? I heard coyotes out at 1:30 pm today it is cloudy but rare to hear them in daytime here.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

When I first read the title of this I thought you'd captured Fermin Garza and a mountain lion on cam.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Master

searching Fermin Garza did not help me get it , I did see it tied to front sights which have not been needed yet ...

I do not know how the dogs owners treat their dogs as they run all day from a mile away (next road) I have been told they return each night. Last day of deer season I had a lump of snow approach looking through rifle scope I discovered it was a nearly all white skunk and it was blind with a raised blue covering on the eyes . I saw this in many skunks and raccoons a few years back and contacted the DNR biologist who pretty much claimed I was full of it . My attempt at a head shot at 35 yards with 30-06 when low on the skunk hitting a rock and shredding the skunks underside making a stinking mess . Yesterday I saw that those three dogs had gotten into the carcass so they are now smelling terrible when they get home ! I guess I am glad I did not go back and bury the thing!

On a side note to those of you that also have to deal with skunks I have found that if you spray the area down with bleach it does kill the skunk smell well and may or may not harm grass and other plants depending on what they are .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

That's a good idea! Leave the skunks for loose dogs to roll in. The lazy owners should get tired of that!
    Known traffic menace

Boolit Master

alfadan I was just being lazy in this case but it worked out . I could smell a faint skunk smell off my back porch this morning at 4:30 am when I let the dog out . The skunk is a bit over 250 yards from the house . I have found it best to bury the dead skunks far out or just burn them to keep the smell down .
    I think it was summer of 2011 there was a huge population of skunks here ,and other places, I killed 13 of them in my yard in August alone my yard stank until October! That was when I started burning them rather then burying them .

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by firefly1957 View Post
    alfadan I was just being lazy in this case but it worked out . I could smell a faint skunk smell off my back porch this morning at 4:30 am when I let the dog out . The skunk is a bit over 250 yards from the house . I have found it best to bury the dead skunks far out or just burn them to keep the smell down .
    I think it was summer of 2011 there was a huge population of skunks here ,and other places, I killed 13 of them in my yard in August alone my yard stank until October! That was when I started burning them rather then burying them .
    Might be nasty being downwind of that burn site!
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

dverna Actually I have found burning to be the best skunk disposal method and have had no smell from the fires I have used a HOT open fire but now use wood in a well vented burn barrel . I also burn my deer remains completely up in same barrel as I am seeing more and more evidence that deer are feeding on deer carcasses. This could be why we have CWD and why it is most common on deer farms .

Boolit Mold
    When I was young feral dogs would kill calves and sheep. 12-gauge no.4 buck stopped that.

Boolit Master

mc1911 when I was young some rural friend had their kids rabbits all killed in cages by dogs that ran free they asked for help it was 110 Sierra bullets that did the work two of us sniped them as they came into the yard and beyond as they left . Backhoe did the rest it was 1974 so I am guessing SSS worked just fine!

Later I found out the county was after the same group for an attack on a kid two dogs had licenses the others did not . They were not from within a mile and a half of were they were tearing up rabbit cages . A few years ago I started casting #4 buckshot and am very happy with how it works on vermin out to 50 yards .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123