Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: What's Your Most Funnest .22 Rifle?

What's Your Most Funnest .22 Rifle?

If it's the one that always brings a smile when in your hands, that's the one. Maybe or not the most accurate, or the highest priced .22 you own. Might not be the best looki'n or that prized collector's piece or family heirloom. I mean the funnest shooter, the one that's the favorite gun to relax with and just shoot that always satisfies, hit or miss. And why.

Currently mine is this old 1940 born Remington 121 ''Fieldmaster''. I almost didn't buy this one. It was beside a Remington 581 that I had been looking for for over a year. The dealer thought that when I ask to see the Remington .22 that I meant the 121 which he was going to hand me. I corrected him and was about to make an offer on the 581 when he sweetened the deal offering a $!00. discount if I bought both. Done deal. I planned on making some money on the 121 getting it at $250. below going price. That was until I got to know it a little and shot it. I had always liked the Remington Model 12 and it's offspring, the 121, but never owned one. The first ''cool'' factor is the way the inner tube magazine latches into the outer. Not a silly twist nub in a ''J'' shape groove, but a spring loaded hook that simply snaps down into a cut-out. Quick and easy, much easier than any other .22 tube magazine araingement I've ever used. Secondly, the skinny little rifle snaps right up to my shoulder presenting it's sights almost like a well fitted small gauge shotgun when shooting off the hind quarters off hand. Thirdly, I shot it into a paper target at 25yds, it was on, and from there I began plinking at small pieces of shale on the backstop 60+ yds away destroying them with ease getting a better shot to hit ratio than with my Marlin 39A which has a 4X scope.

My ''funnest'' shooter.

Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Boolit Master
    I bought a model 12 from a coworker for $120 several years ago and gave it to my son who collects old winchester .22’s. Told him I wanted him to have a superior design. Lol
    Actually I love them all. I do think the Remington design was superior for the time period though.

Banned

smith ar22 braced pistol hands down. nwish they didnt cave to the left and quit making them because i need another one

Boolit Buddy
    1972 Ithaca Model 72 Saddlegun. Second rifle I ever purchased as a young'un with my own money (teenager could do that back then) and every shot still pulls up memories. More fun than a Dixie cup in the bathtub for a toddler.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

modified Remington one piece at a time

512 receiver + barrel - 521 internals + stock - 513 bolt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1826.JPG  
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

A .22 Little Scout made by Stevens bought non-working, it had a barrel that did not belong on it unchambered.
    With a lot of work and experimentation I made the barrel work, not to mention making all the springs and guides for the receiver.
    It works now and shoots CCI quiet ammunition and it sports a red dot sight and the barrel is threaded for suppressor use.
    Now how much funnier can you get than that?

Boolit Master
    Mine would be my Remington 552 semi-auto. I also got it in a double deal where a wholesaler was offering free shipping if you bought two Remington long guns together. I got the 552 along with one of the old wood stocked Model 700 ADLs. This was in 1990.

The 552 is so slim and easy to carry and shoot. I bought an electric powered shooting gallery from Caldwell in December 2012 and this is the rifle I like to use it with. Those little targets keep popping up no matter how many you shoot. It's great being a grown up because you can buy all the toys you dreamt of when a kid.

Super Moderator

My favorite is a Winchester Model 62A that I inherited from an Uncle after he passed away. It's a great little shooter, and a family heirloom to boot. The kids and grandkids all enjoyed shooting that rifle, it's one I would never get rid of.

I bought a simple Romanian M69 trainer at a gun show in Glendale about 15 years ago that some local dude had refinished the stock with a glossy urethane of some sort and mounted an old basic Weaver 4X scope. I think I paid $125 for it. It has been the most dead nuts spot on accurate .22 I have ever owned. It's just a joy to take out and blast with because it is so boringly accurate. My only lament was that it only came with 1 magazine. And I was exceedingly bummed out a couple months ago when I misplaced that single magazine. Fortunately, Csspecs now makes replacement clone mags for it, so I bought a few, and now I'm happily back in action.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00346.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	320019
    When democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote.

An old Mossberg 144 that I stuck a half decent 4-12x scope on.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion8 View Post
    1972 Ithaca Model 72 Saddlegun. Second rifle I ever purchased as a young'un with my own money (teenager could do that back then) and every shot still pulls up memories. More fun than a Dixie cup in the bathtub for a toddler.
    My brother bought one of those about the same time from, ''Joe-The Motorist Friend''. He sold it some years later. He wishes he kept it now!

Boolit Mold
    I have a Marlin 981T that is a tack driver. I should have kept looking for one with a wood stock, but this one has been nice all the same. Nicest shooting .22 I have, and it goes forever with the tube magazine.

I had a Marlin 39 that got away about 20 years ago that I really liked,
    but the Henry Golden Boy I have now is hard to beat.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    My favorite is a Winchester Model 62A that I inherited from an Uncle after he passed away. It's a great little shooter, and a family heirloom to boot. The kids and grandkids all enjoyed shooting that rifle, it's one I would never get rid of.
    I had one of those once, wish I woulda kept it. They are fun little rifles! I do have a Rossi 62C I use as a rat/mouse gun with birdshot and a small flashlight taped to the barrel. Like it's Winchester predecessor, it can slam-fire quite nicely.

I've been around and shot many Stevens model 87 'Gill guns'. Not the best by any means and they'll beat a scope to pieces but I still like them for the memories and nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    I've been around and shot many Stevens model 87 'Gill guns'. Not the best by any means and they'll beat a scope to pieces but I still like them for the memories and nostalgia.
    Klick-Klack rifle!

The first really successful plastic gun, my Nylon 66 in Apache Black.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    Klick-Klack rifle!
    Yep! Exactly right. It's amusing to me to shoot one because of that very thing.

Boolit Grand Master
    I guess mine would be the Savage-Springfield Model 120A that I got for Christmas in 1974, I was ten.

I have no idea how many rounds of .22 Short and Long Rifle (very few if any Longs) have went through that $33 rifle, but if I had a nickel for each I could probably buy a newish pickup. I don't shoot it lot anymore, but I do make sure it gets to speak to a target on Christmas.

I've had some of the guns listed and while they were all fun, that simple little manual cocking single shot is still the funnest gun I have ever shot.

Robert

Mine is a Taurus M62 carbine stainless. It is just a fun gun to shoot and accurate too. What makes it fun...is it will slamfires like a Win Model 12 shotgun. It only shoots long rifles but you can go thru 12 rounds just as fast as you can pump it. It breaks down so is small enough to go in a day pack or an atv saddle bag for easy transport when roaming the hills or woods.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast