Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Glue for "plastic" foam sheets

Boolit Master

Glue for "plastic" foam sheets

I am fiddling around with a project that requires some stabilizing. I will use the type of white stiff "plastic" foam used in stabilizing stuff for shipping. I need to be able to "stack" bits and pieces to contain things from moving around in transit, so I need to glue layers of material to get depth. I know it can be done as I have reclaimed this type of foam and it was glued in layers. So far I have tried ordinary white Elmer's glue, Gorilla glue and they both just snap apart after they dry. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master
    the poor mans solution is to wrap the item real good and airtight in bags/plastic. Place in the shipping box and fill the remaining space with Insulating Foam ie Great Stuff) the minimal expanding type should keep dainty things from getting crushed. Encapsulate the item as much as you think it needs then trim the top overflow so you can close the box and you now have secure shipping.

Ive never had much success with gluing foam for the kids projects for school except with good old general Elmer's, the hard part was waiting for it to dry.

Boolit Buddy
    I used a foam adhesive that comes in a caulk tube.
    I don’t remember the brand but it’s in the aisle with caulk.
    It worked

I'd try construction adhesive. It's more of a paste when it comes out of the tube so you might need to spread it around a little but it should hold.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

I'd try the old Elementary school rubber cement that does, or did come in a brown jar.
    They might even have it at the grocery store.

The spray foam is the real deal, but its kind of pricey.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Bub
    I've used contact cement. Used to get it in a brown bottle with a brush. I'm using it from a qt. can I bought twenty years ago to glue down outdoor carpet on a front porch. Brush on both sides, let it dry a bit and stick it together. Use those small acid brushes from Harbor freight for the little jobs. I think it's called Plibond 20 or something close to that.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Clear RTV. Pray you never have to get the pieces separated, after the RTV sets.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Grand Master

Try dissolving some of the Styrofoam in acetone and using it as a glue.

Boolit Master
    3M makes a spray adhesive for foam I use with closed cell foam. Works real good for me. Can't find the can or I would tell you exactly.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

If you are talking about closed cell foam, then use a heat gun.
    Hold the two parts close together and direct the hot air across both surfaces. Once they are warm and shiny, press them together. It will bond very firmly. It’s an art form if you want it to look pretty, but not too hard to learn how to do.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master

For glue recommendations for any material, use: https://thistothat.com/
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

If it like carseat padding foam they make a spray glue for sticking layers to gather when redoing car seats, check an upholstery supply shop. As I recall it is made by 3M.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

I disemble those sheets I get in packages for fly tying and for putting in the bottom of boxes to hold fly's.

Factory appears to use a hot melt type glue, very thin layers.

So I would try hot melt glue.
    One of my later tool purchases from Harbor freight was a Bauer 20 volt cordless hot melt gun. I've been pretty happy with it.
    Quite handy to not need a cord, takes less time to get up to temp. Battery's last a long time.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

I am guessing that you are using white beadboard, sometimes referred to as Styrofoam. If that is true, don't use construction adhesive. Locktite PL 300 is the proper adhesive. It comes in large and small caulking tubes.

Boolit Master

How 'bout two-sided carpet tape? I've used it to secure foam block inside cardboard shipping containers and for sticking styrofoam target cut-outs onto scrap particle board.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Beadboard aka white styrofoam is not the same as the plastic closed cell foam he is talking about.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by swamp View Post
    3M makes a spray adhesive for foam I use with closed cell foam. Works real good for me. Can't find the can or I would tell you exactly.
    swamp
    Exactly. 3M 77 Spray is what I would go for.

I'm surprised that the white Elmer's glue (alaphitic???) doesn't work. Years ago I used to use it, thinned with water, and brushed onto foam cores to glue balsa to it in larger RC planes. The wings of 8-10' planes were built with balsa over foam, and were amazingly durable. I was never able to get the balsa to separate from the foam.

Boolit Master
    Liquid Nails has caulk/adhesive that's for fiberglass and foam. If you feel the need to get the entire surfaces stuck together then go to the flooring department to get latex adhesive for putting latex backed carpet down. Might want to get a grooved plastic spreader while your there.

Boolit Master
    Thanks to all who have (will) reply. You all have given me a lot to choose/try from.
    R.D.M.