Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: Nose Design / Marlin Feeding Of .35 Remington

Nose Design / Marlin Feeding Of .35 Remington

Asking for pictures if possible.
    For Marlin lever actions chambered for .35 Remington, what's the longest boolit design with the widest flat point you have gotten to feed reliably?

I have a 280 grain spire point NOE mold and I'm thinking that perhaps if it was hollow pointed (with WFN) it mite be the cat's meow in the Marlin.

Boolit Master
    My 35 Remington bullet is Accurate mold 36-200A. It's .44 inches long in front of the crimp groove. I'm sure nowhere near as long as a 280 grain. It feeds perfectly in my Marlin 336 however the front driving band does hit the rifling requiring me to trim cases shorter than Min to chamber. My gun is a pre Safety button model.

https://accuratemolds.com/bullet_det...bullet=36-200A

That's a good looking boolit. Accurate surely must have engineered that one with the .35 Remington in mind.

Putting pencil to paper the SAAMI maximum cartridge length is 2.525" and the case length being 1.920", that'd leave a maximum of 0.605" of bullet sticking out front. In 2017 did a design work-up to fit the chamber but didn't get a mold made. The nose just barely did go over that. The drawing isn't to scale but shows where I was trying to go, calculating the lead weight per section and the dimensions needed to avoid sticking down into the powder space or jamming on the rifling. The "bore rider" portion diameter was to suit my piece, a 1953 production rifle with standard rifling rather than micro-groove.
    Last edited by Good Cheer; 11-15-2023 at 06:33 PM.

The spire point mold could get hollow point plugs to make it the boolits hollow point WFN. The blackened part is approximately where the plugs would need to come to. Better make dummy rounds first to see how bad crimping is, then file off the noses and see how they cycle. But, any how, the more input the merrier.

Moderator Emeritus
    The RCBS 35-200 is probably the most commonly used cast bullet in a 35 Rem. Lee makes a copy of it also. Accurate or NOE makes a hollow point version.

Boolit Master
    Looks like you put a lot of thought into that sketch. If I understand correctly, you actually calculated the volume of the bullet then used the density of the alloy to arrive at the total bullet weight? What are the numbers on top - maybe they are volumes?? Yeah, if that was designed based on a chamber cast for your rifle it should chamber perfectly. As you stated though the question is will it feed and extract.

Such a long front driving band wouldn't even come close to fitting in my rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    I have used a Saeco 352 (approx 245gr checked and lubed) in a 35 Rem. It doesn’t have a really wide nose. The two limitations you have with an 35 Rem are the 1 in 16” twist and the no throat chamber. The Saeco I referred to has a short front driving band and even this fouls when crimped into the crimp groove. I get around that by using a Lee FCD. It’s very accurate in my levergun.

If you wanted a heavier bullet I would base the design on the Saeco but I’d delete the front drive band and widen the nose, ie end up with a bore riding design. This should get you to over 250gr.

You might find this article of interest.

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell35RemingtonLevergun.htm

MP Molds has a useful mould to consider:

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/mp-...p-hp-gc-2-cav/

This one would need the Lee FCD like I mentioned or have your chamber throated.

Boolit Master
    RCBS used to make a 35-250 that should chamber in the 35 rem. a good candidate for lee factory crimp die in 35 rem case. somewhere ive got one these molds.

Moderator Emeritus

Mine came with a handful of RCBS 250 bullets that fed well. I have the Saeco 352 that is a shooter in it as well.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post
    The RCBS 35-200 is probably the most commonly used cast bullet in a 35 Rem. Lee makes a copy of it also. Accurate or NOE makes a hollow point version.
    That or the Lyman 358315 which is 204gr. I have both.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".