Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Another first smelting

Another first smelting

I did my first smelting of WW today and it was a success. I used all the information I got from you guys here on the Cast Boolits site. I fluxed a few times with candle wax, and that seemed to get it really clean. If I understand correctly, the wrinkly stuff floating on the top in this first pic is the tin from the WW? It went into the muffin tins with the rest of the melt. I accidentally let the temp get up as high as 825 degrees, but then I turned it down a little. I think I had picked out the only zinc wheelweight in the bucket, so I don't think any zinc got into the melt. I didn't see any 'oatmeal' floating on top anyway. I plan to cast my first bullets next weekend. I blackened the muffin tins over a fire, and none of the ingots stuck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0211 copy.jpg   IMG_0220 copy.jpg   IMG_0223 copy.jpg  

Boolit Master

It really is simple, and satisfying. Watching molten metal to me is a joy.
    Tin melts lower than lead, the scales were described in the Lyman's book as antimony, at least if I remember correctly.
    They look good and frosted. Should be a good mix to cast with.
    I like to make a "melt pie" with what I cannot get out of my pot. I use it to planish on. A lead pad comes in handy. Later on, when I get more to melt, I put that in the pot and crank it up.
    Looks good, didn't see any Tinsel Fairy.
    So far so good.

Boolit Grand Master

Congrats on your smelt. A nice pile of ingots is one of life's simple pleasures.

That's an awful lot of pot for a Coleman stove. Be careful you don't overload it.

Great job and a nice pile of ingots, welcome to a new world.

Next time I'm going to put some bricks or something under the grill, for extra support. I didn't fill the pot this time because I was worried about the weight. But I didn't have any splatters or tinsel fairy.

Lookin good RegCom7!!

Seeing all these posts of you guys makes me want to get out and smelt what I've accumualted over the winter. I'm just waiting for some warmer weather!
    "A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys." ~ Charlton Heston, 1997