MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 358311 favorite powders?

Boolit Master
    Depending on the power level sought, 3.0-4.0/Red Dot/158 gr. LSWC or LRNFP will give you almost anything you could reasonably want from a .38 Special.
    The lighter charges tend to approximate the recoil of the 148 gr. HBWC loads. 3.5/Red Dot is very close to factory standard velocity. According to Alliant, 3.8/Red Dot/158 gr. develops +P pressures. Their old reloading data used to indicate that 4.0/Red Dot/158 gr. was +P, but they revised it downward. Since Since I own no .38 Spl. revolvers, I have just stuck with 4.0/Red Dot/158 gr. as my "general purpose" .38 Special load.

When it is time to buy propellant again, remember that Alliant Promo is basically Alliant Red Dot, without the red dots, and is somewhat less expensive when bought in the 8# jugs. You can reload enough .38 Special and .45 ACP to fill every bathtub in your neighborhood with 8 pounds of it. It is also quite useful in reduced velocity rifle loads, and of course, most shotgun gauges.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    They've done a lot of Red Dot loadings like that. The explanation I've read is that due to the new methods of measure pressure they've seen more very short pressure spikes than they were able to detect with the old methods. My 4.2gr Red Dot over 115gr FMJ for 9mm is a good example, this is a much heavier recoiling load than I experience with most factory loaded ammo.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    You can't go wrong with 231/Hp38 and a 358-311. Size .358, 3.8 grains, crimp in the crimp groove, and then just shoot 'em. That is a wonderful practice load that you can load for 10-14 cents a piece, even with today's 8-10 cent primers. This is one of the most accurate .38 Special bullets extant. At one time, I was using it at 50 yards for PPC competition where it seemed to do better than the 148 grain wadcutters, at least for me.
    Hp38 3.2-3.4 grs,with 358311,,very accurate,,that ol 311 will outshoot a 148 wadcutter!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12