Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about Ruger 45 Blackhawk convertible

Boolit Master

Questions about Ruger 45 Blackhawk convertible

Looking at picking up a 45 convertible Blackhawk in used/LNIB condition, probably 2014/2015 manufacture per serial number prefix if I remembered it correctly. It also comes in the gray plastic clamshell case.

Any issues to look out for? I plan to pin gauge the cylinders just to see where they are before purchase. I already have an N-frame 45 colt with the generous 0.456-7 throats.

I am sure I will have to segregate ammo for the two, but that isn't too big a deal.

Thanks.
    Last edited by BK7saum; 11-13-2023 at 11:34 PM.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Ruger .45 throats always run tight .450-.451". Plan on sending both .45 Colt and ACP cylinders to DougGuy for honing if you want the gun to shoot well
    Last edited by Outpost75; 11-14-2023 at 12:32 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

My convertable had throats of 0.450" and I bought a Clymer reamer to open them up to 0.452". The 45ACP cylinder, even with that huge jump to the rifling is the most accurate pistol that I have.

Mine gets regularly used for single action (45 short colt!) matches every month.
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    As noted,, often the throats do need "tuning" to make them shoot more accurately. Sometimes you will get one that doesn't need the throats opened. I always recommend shooting test ammo before making any modifications. Especially the .45 acp cylinder.

Otherwise,, those are excellent guns. Study it for any normal problems as you would with any gun. I'm a sucker for the Ruger .45's,, especially the convertibles. If the price is very fair,, I always figure I can correct just about anything easily.

The previous owner of my Ruger 45 convertible had the acp cylinder trued to .452 by a local GS and the colt cylinder to .452 by Doug P.
    I don't know if they needed it but it is the most accurate pistol that I have.

PS, I traded a M69 for it and couldn't be happier.
    "My two most favorite people are Navy Corpsmen and Marine medivac helicopter pilots" - MEJ 1967.

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." Col Jeff Cooper, USMC.

Boolit Master

Well, picked it up today. All chamber cylinder mouths measure less than 0.451. All pass a 0.450 pin gauge but not a 0.451.

Boolit Master

The 45acp cylinder had been shot, with minor leading in a couple of chambers. The 45 colt cylinder looks to be unfired.

Boolit Master
    My Bisley 45 Colt I have grouped more like a shotgun until I had the throats opened to .452.5 and forcing cone cut to 11 degrees. It is a tack driver with cast bullets.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    Well, picked it up today. All chamber cylinder mouths measure less than 0.451. All pass a 0.450 pin gauge but not a 0.451.
    That's to be expected really, that's very common for Ruger, cylinders that tight are a multi-port sizing die. I typically hone them to .4525" for use with .452" boolits.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Doug will do a fine job for you! Get them honed.

Boolit Buddy
    Brian,
    Have DougGuy open up the throats and never look back. Mine is so accurate it's scary. I also use the ACP cylinder more than the Colt these days. Traded off the automatic ACP because I got tired of looking for ejected brass. I picked up some of Starline's 45 Cowboy Special brass and load a 240 gr swc with a roll crimp. Not a 45 Colt in power but does almost everything I need with the ACP cylinder.

Enjoy it. They're great packing guns.

I don't know if this applies to the .45, but my .357 and 44 mags have problems with the base pin walking out a bit. Gets to a certain point and the cylinder locks up.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Sasquatch, I called Ruger last week with the same problem. They’re sending me a new base pin and latch. Ruger is the best in the business for backing up their product!

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    I don't know if this applies to the .45, but my .357 and 44 mags have problems with the base pin walking out a bit. Gets to a certain point and the cylinder locks up.
    Belt Mountain makes a Locking base pin - little allen screw. Works very well.
    Long ago I bought one, hopefully still in business.
    Linebaugh pins were Very similar. Never back out, never loosen.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    Wolff makes an extra power cylinder pin latch spring. I think you could get one at Brownell's or Midway.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Old news - But the worst Gun Trade I ever made was a Ruger 45 Colt/45 ACP I purchased new in 1977. Fantastic shooter using Govt .45 ACP Ball. .45 Colt shot well too; but back then could not afford factory and I only set up to load the .45 ACP with a Lee Wack a Mole.

I traded for a Ruger .44Mag that had been Magna Ported in 1988. Since I only shot cast Boolits then in handguns; it was constant leading. Traded it off for a Mauser 98 with scope.

Bottom Line; I would TAKE A CHANCE on another Ruger 45ACP/45LC if the opportunity arose.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

I love my Bisley convertible. It has .451” throats all the way around both cylinders. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3158.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	319982
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    Looking at picking up a 45 convertible Blackhawk in used/LNIB condition, probably 2014/2015 manufacture per serial number prefix if I remembered it correctly. It also comes in the gray plastic clamshell case.

Any issues to look out for? I plan to pin gauge the cylinders just to see where they are before purchase. I already have an N-frame 45 colt with the generous 0.456-7 throats.

I am sure I will have to segregate ammo for the two, but that isn't too big a deal.

Thanks.
    Assuming you are querying re the convertible I have -- Ruger Model 5241 .45 Colt/.45ACP Flattop ss 5.5” barrel S/n 520-28xxx Cat # KNV8-455X- I have shot 90% or so the .45 Colt, and if the cylinders are not perfect -- I'm not a good enough shot to ascertain this. Vis the other 10% -- primarily when I'm low on or out of 45 Colt I put in the .45 ACP cylinder, and after maybe six shots -- I also note the revolver shoots better than I do with this cylinder as well. I had, when I bought it, coged on sending it to someone like DougGuy -- I've heard so many great things about his service!!! -- but frankly, I really haven't experienced the need.
    I'd suggest you buy the revolver; take it to the range; and let the holes in the targets be your guide.
    geo

Boolit Master
    Keep in mind I've mostly been an auto guy and have had a 1911 of some type for over 50 years.

Back in the 80's I had wanted a BH for a while. Found one for a good price (new) and it came with the acp cylinder. Shot that thing for quite a while, almost all LC. I did fire the acp cylinder a few times and it was just as accurate as the LC cylinder. But, I fired acp in my 1911's and LC in the Ruger.

The reason I got the Ruger was for a heavy .45 and it lived up to its reputation. Unfortunately my wrist and forearm started to show the results of repeated heavy loads. When I wanted something that was acp power level, I carried a 1911 so the Ruger was sold off.

If you love revolvers, I think it's an excellent choice. Used to be acp ammo was easier to find and cheaper than LC ammo. Doesn't seem to be as true these days.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    I'd suggest you buy the revolver; take it to the range; and let the holes in the targets be your guide.
    geo

Buy the revolver and see if your boolits will even go in the cylinder throats from the front. THERE is your guide.

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    when I bought it, coged on sending it to someone like DougGuy -- I've heard so many great things about his service!!!
    The reason my work has received so many glowing reviews is that revolvers that I have worked on the cylinder(s) and hammer shoot MUCH improved groups when compared with pre-throating work groups. THERE is your proof!
    Last edited by DougGuy; 11-15-2023 at 10:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast