Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The little 10 mil

Boolit Buddy

The little 10 mil

I carry a 10 millimeter glock in the pick up with me for protection as well as swine duty. I had Accurate cut an 180 gr rnfp for me and its the bees knees. I hunt with handguns but dont intentionally do so with anything smaller than 44 mag. I have shot a few hogs while bounching down the ranch road with this little 10 mil and I am impressed. Range scrap with smokes OD green powdercoat over a still load of longshot gets it done. 50 yard shot. Expansion is impressive. Likely a fluke as I load for extreme accuracy and dont fiddle with expansion. Hogs are a pain in the backside but they do make some pretty good sausage.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Great job! Sausage is sausage! Apparently loading for accuracy is in your wheelhouse - fantastic expansion on that bullet!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Yes, both the expansion and sausage look GREAT!

Boolit Buddy
    What's your recipe? For sausage that is.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymath View Post
    What's your recipe? For sausage that is.
    Well, I make German, italian, breakfast, brautwurst, Kielbasa, etc.

I generally use A.C. Legg mixes. For the German, I use a seasoning mix from a meat market that was in the family many, many years ago.They sell it at Fisher's meat Market in Muenster Tx.

For any wild game, Hogs or deer. Remove 100% of the fat. Mix the meat 50% with pork butts, etc.

I used to use about 90% to 95% game and the rest pork butt. Its healthy, but dry. The new wife likes her sausage like it comes from the store, so I mix it half and half.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, sausage making is a skill I have yet to develop.
    We made moose burgers the other night and I was thinking they might be dry without any pork mixed it, but they were not. one egg, minced onion, salt, pepper, some oat bran and they were just as good tonight.

Boolit Man
    Well done ! Good shooting and looks good sausage too. I am curious about the bullet ? What brinell do you figure? and the velocity?
    You seem to be a mythbuster, with a Glock shooting a CB. I have been told many times the polygonal barrels will not let you shoot lead bullets with any accuracy. That bullet did the job and not sure if it hit some bone or was soft enough to expand some on its own.

edit oops I just saw that you use range scrap.
    Last edited by cherokeetracker; 11-18-2023 at 10:11 PM. Reason: addition of info

Boolit Master

Good looking sausage. My press is a bit older, maybe 75 years or so. I do love the 10mm.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cherokeetracker View Post
    Well done ! Good shooting and looks good sausage too. I am curious about the bullet ? What brinell do you figure? and the velocity?
    You seem to be a mythbuster, with a Glock shooting a CB. I have been told many times the polygonal barrels will not let you shoot lead bullets with any accuracy. That bullet did the job and not sure if it hit some bone or was soft enough to expand some on its own.

Velocity is up in The real 10 mil territory but nothing over book.

I have a Glock 41 in 45 ACP with the poly rifling. I have taken hogs with it as well. Works just fine in the accuracy department without leading. The 45 ACP really lacks enough Oomph.

The 10 mil Glock is a generation 4 20sf. Supposedly they fixed the bulging cases in their gen 4. They lied or I got a bad example. I purchased 1 box of ammo with the gun. It put the Smiley on the brass of the first 5 shots. I promply threw that factory barrel in the dumpster. I ordered and installed a KKM barrel. It and its regular, lands and grooves. Brass looks as good as anything that comes out of my 1911s.

I did hit bone with that shot. I always try for bone with handguns.

Boolit Buddy

This 45 slug was straight wheels weights from a couple years back. My first powder coat slugs before I realized softer lead worked just as well. Zero Deformation I also remeber it missing major bone.

I am not out "Hunting" with the semi Autos. Just happen upon feral swine while out and about. 90% of my Hunting is with revolvers.

Last edited by Elpatoloco; 11-19-2023 at 02:11 AM.

Boolit Man
    Good shooting with the 45 ACP and the 10mm. I understand that primary pistols for hunting don't usually fall unto the semi auto relm. But if in a pinch they can work,,,, especially if they are accurate enough and the operator knows where and can place a shot where it counts. Like you I prefer to hit bones such as spine or head shot. ( we are still talking hogs ). I have not been able to experiment enough with the 45 ACP in the lighter grain pills. I have been told that the 185 works much better than a 230gr. Cannot prove or disprove.
    Awsome barrel choice, for the 10,, a KKM is very hard to beat. Do you have a preference in the 10 as far as say,,,, 180 VS 200 grain?
    I have wondered aboout a solid VS a Cast HP also but thought it irrelavent as long as the softer bullet was used. 11-15 BHN. or do I need to consider softer?

Boolit Man
    I want to add something here also. I guided for hog hunting and sometimes used my 10mm as a coup de gras and have tried several different bullets. Placement was nearly always in the ear or right behind it. BB's 220 gr was hard to beat. But that is a hard cast. And quite expensive too I might add.

Boolit Buddy
    Good shooting with the 45 ACP and the 10mm. I understand that primary pistols for hunting don't usually fall unto the semi auto relm. But if in a pinch they can work,,,, especially if they are accurate enough and the operator knows where and can place a shot where it counts. Like you I prefer to hit bones such as spine or head shot. ( we are still talking hogs ). I have not been able to experiment enough with the 45 ACP in the lighter grain pills. I have been told that the 185 works much better than a 230gr. Cannot prove or disprove.
    Awsome barrel choice, for the 10,, a KKM is very hard to beat. Do you have a preference in the 10 as far as say,,,, 180 VS 200 grain?
    I have wondered aboout a solid VS a Cast HP also but thought it irrelavent as long as the softer bullet was used. 11-15 BHN. or do I need to consider softer?
    I know nothing of making bulkets expand or hollow points to work. I just load for accuracy. The expansion was a bonus. Maybe because I was using softer lead. I had tried the softer stuff as I saw it mentioned on this site with powdercoating. I will stick with this load in the 10.

Only rounds to ever pass through that gun are the 5 hollow point store bought that the brass was wrecked on an 7 bazillion of these from Accurate.

I do not hot rod semi Autos. I had a friend in college who ate a slide off a 1911. Wears a joker smile down one side of his face!

With that said, I believe I am about to purchase a MP hollow pount mold for the wife's 350 legends and try to make them work.

It is also my opinion that wild hogs are ZERO percent tougher than a whitetail to take down. I have dispatched hundreds with the behind the ear shot, in a trap with a Walther P 22.

Boolit Man
    Where was shot placement with the 45acp? What do you think that pig weighed?

Great job making meat!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jhunter77 View Post
    Where was shot placement with the 45acp? What do you think that pig weighed?
    Shot placement was right through the lungs/heart area. He was facing me. Head on. Hog was farther than I guesstimated as I was holding high to try and hit him in the noggin. Hit him square in the Chest. Shot him on ranch road out of truck window. He ran about 20 yards and laid down. I could hear him gasping but he had expired by the time I got close enough to finish. Pig was approximately 200 lbs according to my arms O meter. I like to not have gotten him loaded. He did not stink, so I cleaned him. He smelled when cooked so thats the last boar that I ever cleaned. Bullet got 8 to 10 onches of penetration.

Boolit Master
    Nice work on making meat and making meat.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the post and pictures, great hunting story!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Nice! I never tried my oversized group buy HP boolits yet in my 20. Kept getting light leading a thousands over so I gave up the project. My buddy shot a small buck with factory jacket seller and Beloit 180 grain HPs last year. Said it hit the ground at the shot and never moved! I’ll have to get my 20 milled for a dot or trade it for a MOS set up gen 5. Never fails bought the 4 th gen and the 5 th came out months later.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Nice! I never tried my oversized group buy HP boolits yet in my 20. Kept getting light leading a thousands over so I gave up the project. My buddy shot a small buck with factory jacket seller and Beloit 180 grain HPs last year. Said it hit the ground at the shot and never moved! I’ll have to get my 20 milled for a dot or trade it for a MOS set up gen 5. Never fails bought the 4 th gen and the 5 th came out months later.
    Do you Powdercoat?
    I had that Lyman "ball" mold for 15 years before I got a good slug out of it (The 45 acp).
    It throws undersize no matter what alloy I ever tried. I grew tired of messing with it. Shelved it and forgot it. Powdercoating the slugs bumps up the size just enough to make fantastic projectiles.
    I hear you on the optics. I have gone to an Ultradot on my dedicated Hunting revolvers. I'm only 50 years old, but some days the eyes just will not focus on the rear sight, front and target. Its more than slightly aggrevating for me.

I did the same and got a Gen 4 right before they came out with the 5.

I conceal carry full size Autos. Its a pain, but I cannot shoot the small carry guns with enough accuracy to suit me. I cant imagine trying to carry a sidearm with a dot sight strapped to the top of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast