WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: .380 LCP reliability issues

.380 LCP reliability issues

A couple weeks ago I bought a used, but apparently barely used Ruger LCP in .380. Their isn't a scratch on it, it appears to be virtually new.

I was excited and took it out to the range today. I thought I'd burn up some cheap Blazer FMJ. Inserted the mag, pulled back the slide, and the round jammed directly into the feed ramp, wedging the slide open. It took some effort to get it worked loose and finally into the chamber.

I chalked this up to cheap ammo, so used some Remington FMJ. Same issue. The first round jammed at least half the time, and occasionally a later should would too.

I've been trying to research the issue, and have heard everything from "it's a break in issue" to "send it back for warranty repair". One Youtube tutorial showed doing a gentle polish on the feed ramp, and suggested that if it were lightly oiled the problem should go away.

I just carefully polished the feed ramp with a bit of 2000 grit paper--just enough to polish away the black coating on the ramp.

I haven't had a chance to test it after polishing/lubricating the ramp. But having 5 or 6 jams out of 20 rounds doesn't give me a lot of confidence.

Before anyone asks, I was operating the pistol correctly. Pulling the slide all the way back, and letting it fly back into battery. Since this problem is mostly happening on the initial loading, and not upon firing, I also think it isn't an issue with movement of the (tiny) grip in the hand, or limp-wristing it.

I've heard so many good things about the LCP, I would be shocked to learn I had an actual lemon. But their is something about the way it currently functions, and that was after using 4 different brands of ammo, from cheap Blazer, through expensive Hornady hollow points.

I've heard new guide rods and springs were a remedy, but it isn't clear to me how these would have an influence on the cycling of the pistol.

In any case, I hope it's either an issue with the rough feed ramp, or at worst with a faulty mag. I just went through 3 rounds of warranty repair on another (non-Ruger) revolver, and don't really want to deal with it again!
    Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing!

I think you have a bad magazine.

Boolit Grand Master
    Without actually examining the pistol I am going to guess that Recycled bullet has the right answer. It sounds as though the magazine lips are not releasing the round soon enough, allowing it to drive into the feed ramp at too shallow an angle to allow the cartridge to mount the feed ramp. A new magazine is only about 30.00 $ plus shipping.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 11-14-2023 at 03:19 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    FYI, Pro Mags worked perfectly in the two LCPs I had.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

It very much seems to be the case. When the slide goes forward, the round stays parallel with the slide. It doesn't want to slant upwards where it can hit the ramp at an angle. It just nose dives straight in and sticks there.

I will start with new mags (and, as I said, I've carefully and very lightly polished the ramp with 2000 grit). Hopefully that's the issue. That would be the cheapest and easiest fix.
    Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing!

Boolit Master

Does it function the same with the magazine loaded to less than capacity?
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Grand Master

Is it a Ruger magazine? It will have a Ruger symbol on the left side and have ".380" and "Made In USA" on the right side of the magazine.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    I thought I was having a mag problem with the LCP Max when I first got it. I called Ruger. Before I could finish describing the problem I was having, the guy stopped me and said they'd send a new mag. I asked him about returning the one I thought was a problem, he told me to keep it. The new mag arrive in a couple of days.