Load DataInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Anyone shooting/shot the 6.5mm/.266 123gr Slick coat bullet from Hunters Supply

Boolit Buddy

Anyone shooting/shot the 6.5mm/.266 123gr Slick coat bullet from Hunters Supply

Interested if anyone has any information/opinion to share on the 6.5mm/.266 123gr Slick coat bullet from Hunters Supply. FAQ states How fast can I shoot the "Slick Coat" bullets? Have been tested in rifles up to 2400 FPS with great results, so far! The bullet page itself notes to 2000 FPS. -- Thanks
    Link to said bullet.
    https://www.hunters-supply.com/266-65mm-123-p-2229.html

Boolit Master
    I would be leery of the claims of high velocity with a plain based bullet. Their advertising says that they have fired this bullet at 2000 fps. The FAQ does say that it has been fired at up to 2400 fps with "good results". What exactly are those "good results"? OK, if the gun went bang and the bullet went down range, are those "good results'? What size was the group? A round that can't hit a paper plate at 25 yards is just a noise maker. Also, what cartridge was it fired from? 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Swedish, 260 Remington, 6.5 Creedmore? Automatically, if this velocity was fired from a 6.5x55 the accuracy would be highly suspect because of the very fast barrel twist rate. I've shot 6.5 cast loads that were so awful that I gave the mold away - but those loads were "tested" in my rifle, so saying that loads were "tested" doesn't really mean that much. Without some photos of the targets we don't know what "good results" means. You could say that if only 3 out of 10 bullets were tumbling, that would be "good results". All this being said, these bullets could be the best thing since sliced bread, but their advertising is so vague that it could mean anything. Also, even if these bullets might (or might not) be woefully inaccurate at such high velocities, that doesn't mean that they won't be really successful at more modest cast bullet velocities.