Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: range scrap and hitek vs pc

How do the 30cal bullets look?

Boolit Buddy
    Well I shot 150 rounds, I got the 135 grain bullets supersonic and pushed them a little harder than normal to cause leading if it was going to happen, well I shot ar9, cz shadow 2, s&w single stack. Had 75 hitek and pc. only had 2 colored silver streaks in the s&w and it has always had a picky chamber. So I am happy and will just run strait range scrap and pull the load down a little. Thanks everyone

Quote Originally Posted by mike_kaleigh View Post
    Well I shot 150 rounds, I got the 135 grain bullets supersonic and pushed them a little harder than normal to cause leading if it was going to happen, well I shot ar9, cz shadow 2, s&w single stack. Had 75 hitek and pc. only had 2 colored silver streaks in the s&w and it has always had a picky chamber. So I am happy and will just run strait range scrap and pull the load down a little. Thanks everyone
    So which one works in your guns better high-tek or powder coat?

Quote Originally Posted by turtlezx View Post
    if lead doesnt work out just mix it 1 to 1 with your ww should take care of hardness and water drop
    If you have any lead shot, a little of that added to the pot should bring it up to WW hardness.
    Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Buddy
    sorry about the delay, just got busy over the holidays then wrecked my dirt bike. Lucky I am just soar. But the powder coat worked better, slight better accuracy and no leading. seamed like the pc was more durable. I think this is a solid win for powder coating.

Quote Originally Posted by P Flados View Post
    I use 100% range scrap & PC for full power 9mm.

It took me a ton of time & effort to come up with the right technique and tools (custom oversized expander was final answer that worked) to get rid of leading, but now can use what ever led I have.
    This ^^^^^^

My (limited) experience with Hi-tek has shown me two things. You have to be careful loading it to not scrape it off with the case mouth and your bore needs to be squeaky clean and smooth. Fouled, leaded or pitted barrels will not shoot Hi-tek accurately more than a few shots. The alloy doesn't matter.

Boolit Master
    Hi Tek is more sensitive to contaminated lead than PC. "Range scrap" can be anything. Alloy does matter.

I have had alloy that had to be soaked in muriatic acid overnight , only then the coating bonded properly. You could not see any problem except leading. Bullets were soaked,acid turned black. My contaminant was Niobium, got the alloy analyzed.

And the alloy matters in hardness,too. Compared to Hi Tek, I can shoot softer lead when PC:d, everything else being equal.

But the ease of batch coating and the uniformity... Hi Tek is fantastic. It just won't fix too soft lead.

To the OP: You let the bullets harden four days after coating? I let mine wait for two weeks to harden up before I load. Not to mention shoot.