Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sporterized type 99 Japanese Arisaka

A.K.A. Bullshop Jr. SierraHunter's Avatar

Sporterized type 99 Japanese Arisaka

I had to go to fairbanks the other day to drop off a trailer I had sold. The roads are super crappy out, so the wife had no interest in tagging along for the 100 mile ride at 35-40 mph. I got done with dropping off the trailer, and really had nothing else to do in town, and as unsupervised men do, I had to go to the toy store.

At my favorite stop, I was browsing and came across a rifle I had seen in there a few times before, which was this nicely sporterized type 99 Japanese Arisaka rifle. The rifle had been cut down to 19 inches, nicely blued, and fit with a left handed full length stock. I like weird, oddball things, and this one jsut kind of called to me. I had already walked away from it a couple times since I don't need it, just a cool gun I wanted, but I decided to make him a offer of $350 and he accepted it.

The rifle is built on a 4 digit series 3 action from the Nagoya arsenal, so its a fairly early type 99. The mum is not fully ground off as common with most surplus rifles, just crossed out. it still has the military barrel chambered for 7.7x58 jap.

It's a very neat little rifle. Its set up with a williams reciever sight, and weights in at 6.6lb with the 19" barrel. The stock fits me very well. I haven't seen many sporterized Arisaka rifles, and this is by far the nicest I've ever seen. I was able to get my hands on a few boxes of factory ammo, and while I havent put it on a bench yet, I was able toshoot 2" groups offhand at 60 yards, so it shows promise.

I've got dies on the way. Im really looking forward to starting to play with this rifle.

For some reason I couldn’t attach photos wirh my laptop. Let’s try again from the phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great find & in my opinion a bargain @ the price you paid. I also have a weakness for full stocked rifles in the classic style. I had a few rifles in the past with the Williams 5D sights (bought when they actually cost $5.00).

Good find.

DG

Boolit Master
    Sierra,

A Very NICE Jap sporter. Ya did well... I like the 7.7 and handload for my stash. I do not see many sporter Japs lately.

Be well.

Adam

Boolit Mold
    Love the full-length stock - that’s a beauty, I would have walked out with it too! My Arisaka is a 1943 Nagoya in original military configuration with a struck but still present mum. They are neat rifles and a very strong action too.

That's the most well done one of those I've seen.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

A very well done "sporter". Be interesting to see how it does with cast.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy

Made a lot of brass out of 30-06 for a Jap 99 LMG. Lube the neck and shoulder well. Ran em into the size die with a big old Lachmiller press. Trimed the necks and loaded them.

I’d be proud of that one and hunt with it, too.

Boolit Master
    That one was for sure done nicely!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    A very well done "sporter". Be interesting to see how it does with cast.
    I am also interested to see how it does with cast. I have some pure lead wadcutters I cast up for my k38 target masterpiece and Im gonna try to use one of those to slug the bore on this rifle. I don't currently have any 30 caliber molds, and I think knowing the bore dimensions would be good before ordering a mold.

I’ve got one, too. That is soooooo cooool! I like! Good luck.

8x57 cases are a easy fix for the 7.7 jap. just lube and run them into a 7.7 jap resize die.

Boolit Master

Very nice.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    Very nice indeed and rare, a sporterized military rifle not done by (Bubbas' Diesel Repair, Custom Gun and Gas Bag Shop).

Hope it shoots as good as it looks.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

I had a little free time today, so grabbed the Jap and walked out to the back of the property. The temp was about 4 degrees out, and I didn’t feel like shoveling off the bench, so I threw up a target and shot unsupported prone just for the heck of it.

This was the first 5 rounds fired at 100 yards prone with a cold barrel. I think it’s gonna be a shooter.

I have one not sporterized. It's got an issue where it shoots real low and to the right. I think it needs to be shimmed in the stock or something.

Boolit Master

That looks all the world like a "school" project, like from a gunsmithing school. Its way above average, which is why I suggest a school project (college level). Is it glass bedded as well? I'm a little surprised it wasn't checkered as well. For cast shoot .314" and heavy.

Long ago in internet history, listserve history, were some more serious collectors of things Japanese. It was easy 25 yrs ago that I first saw mention of the X'd mum. I looked at yours and it fits the visible evidence of having been canceled by a bayonet blade smacked hard with a hammer. The suggestion was that those bayonet canceled Arisaka were from the island campaigns via USMC.

More thinking on the subject.... I've seen only two methods of canceling the mum. The more common is via abrasive, grinding the mum. The second is by the X'd mum. If there's a 3rd way I can't recall it at the moment. I'm not a diehard Japanese collector but having two different methods of canceling the mum suggest two different reasons for the difference. We know from anecdotal evidence that many MANY Japanese rifles were picked up from a pile by NAVY sailors departing Japan as occupation troops post war. If the X'd rifles were also picked from a pile in Japan... never mind!

Dutch
    Last edited by Dutchman; 11-14-2023 at 12:04 AM.

Cool gun ! That left side fluted stock would probably fit me well too as I’m a lefty but all but one of my bolt guns are right handed. I owned a 99 once when I was very young but never fired it as ammo was non existent around the places I could buy at. That’s a very nice blue & walnut compact rifle . Should do well for most anything that I would hunt in AK.
    Jedman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast