Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: 12 ga. L.C. Smith

Boolit Bub

12 ga. L.C. Smith

Need some advice from you guys. Just acquired the afore mentioned "Elsie." She is a 1913 model SXS with hammers and is Damascus Twist steel. She is in very good shape and locks up very tight. I want to put her in the woods, but am very reluctant to shoot even low dram equiv. modern shells. I figure that I need to load up some FF Black loads with about 1 oz of shot and maybe 2 1/2 dram equiv. up to 3 dram max. (70 gr to 85 gr). I have primed paper hulls and just need OP cards and fiber wads. Should I proceed or hang her on the wall?
    Last edited by JoseBob; 11-09-2023 at 06:48 PM. Reason: wrong word

Boolit Master
    The British still proof test older, out of proof, damascus barreled guns prior to sale. Most pass their test and go on to be used to take many birds. That said British shotshells are loaded to much lower pressures than American loads. Many older shotshell reloading manuals have lower pressure loads that will not strain a sound damascus gun. Burst barrels on damascus guns are relatively rare but have happened, generally most have been caused by rusted or badly dented barrels combined with shooting American high pressure loads. The oft repeated adage, take it to a knowledgeable gunsmith, would be good advice except in todays world most gunsmiths would know more about Damascus, Syria than about damascus barreled shotguns.

I'm not saying that it is always safe to shoot damascus barreled guns regardless of type of powder but in my experience if it is safe with black powder then it is safe with correct smokeless loads.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master
    I would not hesitate to shoot BP in it if the barrels appear to be sound, i.e., no obvious pitting, dents or visible damage.

Boolit Bub
    There are no dents and no pitting inside or outside the barrels. She was missing a hammer screw that I found one that fit perfectly and about 3/4" of the butt plate top. The screw is still in place. I do Rendezvous so am no stranger to BP. So I think I will try her out. I guess I was just looking for approval or justification. So, I appreciate the feed back and will post on the results. May be a few days as our deer season opens this weekend. Draw a fine bead on em, Son!!! Bobby

If the barrels are sound (ring test them yourself) and the action "on face" (with no cracks/etc) it should be safe to shoot with special/low-pressure ammo from the likes of RST (google).

I've been using RST ammo in both my 28ga 1914 Ithaca Flues SxS & my 20 ga hammergun, w/o issues.

(both have fluid steel barrels, though)

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Mold
    All LC's were proofed for Nitro powder. Without seeing the barrels and doing some measuring of wall thickness and bore diameter I can't say your barrels are safe, I have shot several LC Damascus guns a lot with low pressure smokeless shells.

Head over to the LC Smith Collectors site. Lots of good info and helpful people.

https://lcsmith.coffeecup.com/index.html