RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bore scoping my leaded Mosin barrel

Boolit Master
    It's not often that I disagree with Larry Gibson, but in this instance I don't think that the problem is the powder coat. If there's enough crud built up in a barrel that it looks like a horseshoe rasp I think that it wouldn't matter if the bullets were lubed, PC'd, or even jacketed, the bore is going to tear the bullets up. Now I've been wrong before, and I will be again, but in this instance I think it's the bore, not the PC.

In all honesty, the only way any of us are going to really know for sure is for Wolfdog to get the barrel clean and then find out.

Boolit Master
    If a bullet jacketed, lubed, PC'd, HiTek or gas checked is too small for the inside of the barrel, it will gas cut and lay down metal.

Boolit Grand Master

Yup, I stabbed a sacred cow......

One way to find out is now that Wolfdog91 has the bore cleaned is to lube the very same PC'd bullets and try that same load again. Even a normal coat of LLA will tell the tale.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I too think good cleaning to get rid of the corrosion and scale build up will improve things. It will foul quicker than a good bore no matter what you do but smoothing things up a bit will help. I think there is still enough rifling to do it's job.

I had a Mauser with a bore but similar to yours, it shot OK but fouled badly. I actually poured a lap and used some fine compound, just didn't get very aggressive with it. This took the sharp edges off the pits and helped control the fouling, shot better too.

Boolit Master
    Clean as clean as it will get, kiss that crown a touch. Paper Patch?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Yup, I stabbed a sacred cow......

One way to find out is now that Wolfdog91 has the bore cleaned is to lube the very same PC'd bullets and try that same load again. Even a normal coat of LLA will tell the tale.
    Sir, did you view the video? That bore is nowhere near clean.

Boolit Master
    Larry: There's no cow so sacred that I won't put it on the BBQ. Your last post really hit home because I'm one of those weirdo's that does lube my powder coated bullets. They get a swirl lube of 45-45-10, and there's never a trace of leading. You've got some good advise.

jsizemore has a good point. Wolfdog should slug the bore to make sure he's not shooting under sized bullets.

If you want to knock the high spots off the bore, you can:
    Wrap a patch on a tight fitting brush, rub in some lap compound, generously apply oil, stroke from chamber to muzzle (one way) numerous times.
    I wouldn't do this on a good bore, but it's not a good bore...

If the chamber itself is badly pitted, I have done:
    Piece of scotch brite on a slotted jag, revolve a few times slowly - it Can scratch the chamber but can knock off sharp edges on pits/protrusions.
    Follow w/ tight fitted brush w/ patch, compound (like 600) & oil
    Follow up w/ JB on a tight fitted brush w/ patch & oil -- much more revolutions that either of the first two.

Worked for me before. Unusable rifle to usable.

Boolit Grand Master

Wolfdog91 already slugged the bore and is using bullets .001 over groove as per his description in https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...t-out-my-Mosin

In that thread he states; "Checked this morning and after casting water dropping PC and water dropping again they where around 15bhn if I remember right. Sized and gas checked too .314 ( bore slugged at .313 would have went to .315 but I forgot it order a .315 sizer bushings and since I'm only home for a short amount of time I just said I'll work with this till next month ) powder coated then sized again to make sure it's still a good .314. Expanded my necks with my NOE .315 x .311 expander plug. No crimp"

The bullets BHN is fine and it is not "undersized".
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Bub
    I’ll throw my 2 cents in the hat from my experience with a Mosin 91/30 that was doing something similar to what the OP is experiencing. I soaked a patch with kroil and ran the patch through the bore until I felt the oil was lathered into every pore of the bore. I let it sit for about an hour then ran the chore-boy until I stopped feeling resistance. You might have to add a little more chore boy so the copper came grab more surface area between the lands and grooves.

Boolit Master
    I just do not see a powder coated bullet being able to conform to a badly fouled/pitted barrel. Get a bore guide to protect the throat, a couple of TIGHT bronze brushes and some Hoppe's bore solvent and wear out the brushes and get the color out of the barrel. You show jacket fouling and lead fouling and more than likely rust in the pits. Until you get to bare metal, you just are not getting the barrel clean and the fouling will build up much quicker as you have seen. Good luck and let the Hoppe's soak and do the job it is supposed to do.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    Larry: There's no cow so sacred that I won't put it on the BBQ. Your last post really hit home because I'm one of those weirdo's that does lube my powder coated bullets. They get a swirl lube of 45-45-10, and there's never a trace of leading. You've got some good advise.

jsizemore has a good point. Wolfdog should slug the bore to make sure he's not shooting under sized bullets.
    I too don't mind smearing a lube groove of a PC'd boolit with Lube if I think it's gonna help it out. I swear by PCing since I started it. But sometimes I feel it can use a little help. And there's nothing wrong with it. At best it helps keep lead fouling out. At worst I spend a little time adding some lube to a boolit that don't need it.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Welp my bornscope crapped out on me for some reason, gotta feeling I wrapped it too right or something when I put it up last welp time to return that and guess I'll order a Ridgid one next
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    Welp my bornscope crapped out on me for some reason, gotta feeling I wrapped it too right or something when I put it up last welp time to return that and guess I'll order a Ridgid one next
    Yes, one has to be careful with them. Fiberoptic cable. Any sharp bends or a kink and stick a fork in 'em. They're done.

Boolit Master
    "Welp my bornscope crapped out on me for some reason"

What?! I'm shocked! Those things are made in sweat shop warehouses in China from the finest child labor that a yuan can buy. How dare they sell you such a piece of junk.

Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    "Welp my bornscope crapped out on me for some reason"

What?! I'm shocked! Those things are made in sweat shop warehouses in China from the finest child labor that a yuan can buy. How dare they sell you such a piece of junk.
    Doesn't matter where fiberoptic cable is made, if you bend it in too tight of a radius or kink it the result is broken fibers and there's no fixing it.

The internet most of us are using right now is predominantly fiberoptic cable and sourced from overseas. Proven technology, but you have to play nice.

Alternatively there's copper cable. Those bundles would be the size of a fuel tanker trailer, outrageously expensive and much more prone to failure. Let alone the army of technicians to install, maintain and repair it.
    Last edited by Hannibal; 11-13-2023 at 08:48 PM.

If the fiber is broken you get distortion. If just quit working, a real connection/electronics broke. Evidently CLR is good at removing copper as some precision shooters use it in their rifles. Barrel may be only good for paper patched stuff anymore.
    Whatever!

Just saying this is how the guns been shooting....

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    If the fiber is broken you get distortion. If just quit working, a real connection/electronics broke. Evidently CLR is good at removing copper as some precision shooters use it in their rifles. Barrel may be only good for paper patched stuff anymore.
    Avoiding CLR right now due to past issues I've had messing with it. It really works.... problem it's it REALLY works . Not off the table but avoiding it for now. But on the subject of the precision guys I took some of their advice and picked up some of this stuff

Supposed to be the best stuff ever a long with kroil and JB

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Grand Master

IOSSO and JB Bore Paste are about the same. IOSSO seems to be a little more aggressive but not by much. I use and like both.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer