RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's Up With 32-20 And 25-20 Prices?

What's Up With 32-20 And 25-20 Prices?

It seems like components and esp loaded rounds are bringing in a fortune, especially for 25-20. I wish starline would do a run and slow down the hype over 25-20 - they've become more expensive than my .348! Never thought the day would come when 32-20 brass approached $1/each!

Boolit Master
    New reality.......
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Very tough, I know. if I could not reload my 32's the guns would set or be sold. As it is not a popular case, Starline may feel there is no profit in making them preferring to make other brass instead. I have tried calling them to no avail, same with others who used to make 32 and 25 cases available most all the time. Same with 218 bee cases, no longer there..Maybe 223 and 9mm takes most of their shop time these days, just a guess.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gc45 View Post
    Very tough, I know. if I could not reload my 32's the guns would set or be sold. As it is not a popular case, Starline may feel there is no profit in making them preferring to make other brass instead. I have tried calling them to no avail, same with others who used to make 32 and 25 cases available most all the time. Same with 218 bee cases, no longer there..Maybe 223 and 9mm takes most of their shop time these days, just a guess.
    That may be true for you, but I have several thousand 32 WCF and 25 WCF cases, around 2500 218 cases and I just ordered 32 WCF from starline today. I am a scrounger and tend to find what I need.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

It is a curious situation, I make 25/20 and 218 Mashburn Bee from 32/20 but these are just unavailable in Australia.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    That may be true for you, but I have several thousand 32 WCF and 25 WCF cases, around 2500 218 cases and I just ordered 32 WCF from starline today. I am a scrounger and tend to find what I need.

I am curious how you ordered 32-20 brass from Starline today. I just checked and it says "out of stock, no back orders".

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Mule View Post
    I am curious how you ordered 32-20 brass from Starline today. I just checked and it says "out of stock, no back orders".
    I received an email from starline that my backorder was released. I believe several other members received the same

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Sadly, they just continue to fade into the past. Far as I know, neither one has been chambered in a production rifle since the Marlin 1894 of the 90's. Marlin did a run of them in the 2000's and I seriously doubt they produced many of them. It has been many decades since the .32-20 and .25-20 were mainstream cartridges with ammo available everywhere at a reasonable price. My dad had a Marlin .32-20 back around 1990, and even then ammo was .60-.75 cents each and could only be found in a well stocked gun shop.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I too look often daily at starline for 32-20 brass, always NA. I did get my backorder of 38-40 yesterday that I ordered 3 weeks ago, was really surprised at that, considering some have been waiting a year or more for theirs.

Quality cartridge told me they can't get the raw materials. Starline told me they are way to busy making more popular cases to regularly pump out 3220 or to tool up for 2520. I've still got new winchester 2520 cases for sale but no, they ain't cheap.

Boolit Grand Master
    Obsolete cartridges will get increasingly difficult and expensive to source. It is sad to see, but companies are driven by profit and not nostalgia. I understand that even though it sucks.

In a recent thread a few people were recommending a .218 Bee to a fellow for a new gun build. Made no sense at all.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I have maybe 700 32-20's and I treat them like gold. I never EVER work the lever fast enough to actually eject one onto the ground. If Starline ever recovers and stocks some I'll buy at least 1,000. Yeah, the 25-20 is really scarce. I got lucky with buying Starline 32 Winchester Special right after buying a rifle so chambered last year. Some guy had a lot of them that he was selling through Gunbroker and I got 1,100 so I'm set for life with that one. A friend who also has a 32 Special bought several hundred from the same seller. OF course, people like that are part of the problem. They make a huge order from Starline, which helps to keep the shortage going, then sell at a premium through Gunbroker. Not much you can do about it though.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Quality cartridge told me they can't get the raw materials. Starline told me they are way to busy making more popular cases to regularly pump out 3220 or to tool up for 2520. I've still got new winchester 2520 cases for sale but no, they ain't cheap.
    I don't understand why they don't factor in set up production costs to the price of some of these oldies and make them anyhow. Starline got their start with such cartridges and it would gain a lot of customer loyalty if they would do seasonal runs of the same. I don't know the overall numbers they would sell but I bet they have a good idea and you know they would move fast because the supply chain has run dry. Again, Starline built their business on these type cartridges, it just doesn't make sense to turn their backs on their longtime customers completely.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 Rem View Post
    I don't understand why they don't factor in set up production costs to the price of some of these oldies and make them anyhow. Starline got their start with such cartridges and it would gain a lot of customer loyalty if they would do seasonal runs of the same. I don't know the overall numbers they would sell but I bet they have a good idea and you know they would move fast because the supply chain has run dry. Again, Starline built their business on these type cartridges, it just doesn't make sense to turn their backs on their longtime customers completely.
    It's probably simply a question of machine capacity. They would rather consume a shift running a size they are absolutely sure will sell quickly instead of an obsolete cartridge. I'll wager you will start seeing some of the oddball stuff being produced again if we ever get back to an overabundance of components in the marketplace, but there will be a continuing shortage until that happens.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by .45Cole View Post
    It seems like components and esp loaded rounds are bringing in a fortune...
    With allies in two wars and China itching for a third, ammo components will be dear for years. There are hoarders out there sitting on thousands of cases and wanting to order more. Starline won't be able to meet demand, and I can't see them shutting down a line to change tooling to an obsolete cartridge and then back. They can service the greatest number of people by cranking out the popular cases. We lose.

I was thinking of chambering a single shot in 32-20 but will have to settle for 38/357 instead. Starline has a "green light" on those, and I have empties of each on my shelves.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 Rem View Post
    I have maybe 700 32-20's and I treat them like gold. I never EVER work the lever fast enough to actually eject one onto the ground. If Starline ever recovers and stocks some I'll buy at least 1,000. Yeah, the 25-20 is really scarce. I got lucky with buying Starline 32 Winchester Special right after buying a rifle so chambered last year. Some guy had a lot of them that he was selling through Gunbroker and I got 1,100 so I'm set for life with that one. A friend who also has a 32 Special bought several hundred from the same seller. OF course, people like that are part of the problem. They make a huge order from Starline, which helps to keep the shortage going, then sell at a premium through Gunbroker. Not much you can do about it though.
    Run a garden variety 30-30 into a .32 WS sizing die and you got a .32 WS .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    Run a garden variety 30-30 into a .32 WS sizing die and you got a .32 WS .
    That is the wrong 32 caliber winchester cartridge!

Boolit Master
    I received an email from starline that my backorder was released. I believe several other members received the same

2000 cases on the way. I believe that if you put yourself on the backorder list you'll be notified when they make their production.

2000 cases on the way. I believe that if you put yourself on the backorder list you'll be notified when they make their production.

You must be talking 3220?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    You must be talking 3220?
    Yes, I believe that's the only one in this family currently available - unless you order 100,000. Then I believe they will they'll make 25 WCF or 218 Bee.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast