Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: The Other CCI Quiet load

The Other CCI Quiet load

In order to not drift another thread, I wanted to share the results from shooting four of our .22 handguns with the 710 fps Quiet ammo.
    Offhand at twenty feet, the results are ok for me shooting offhand.
    Six o’clock hold worked for all except the Wrangler Birdshead- it shot low.
    Interestingly, the Taurus PT 22 functioned with them, despite having strong recoil springs.
    I had a twitch on one shot from the H&R

This was a nice break from moving deadfall to the brush pile!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My favorite is the CCI CB Long cartridge. I don't know if they still make them. I use to practice with my Winchester Model 52D in the back yard. With that heavy barrel there was no perceptible report. The loudest sound was the firing pin striking the cartridge. In handguns and a Marlin lever rifle there was a report, but it was mild.

Boolit Master

My best results were also with Winchester CB Long, but I had a very hard time finding them and went to the CCI Quiet.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master

CCI makes a CB Long load also and it is excellent. I really enjoy the CCI "Supressor" load. 45 grain hollow point bullet with lots of Smack!
    Good Luck,
    Rick

As I posted on the other thread, my main use for Quiet these days is in an old Iver Johnson 55 revolver, for porch pest control. I don't think I've ever shot paper with this combo, but it hits where I aim on the pests.
    Cognitive Dissident

They hit harder than I thought at 40 yards from my 25” Remington 510 barrel.
    Yes, the propane bottle was empty before the shot.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm surprised you got it to shoot in the Taurus. They wouldn't function in my S&W 41 with the low power recoil spring. They do functiion in my 10" Ruger MK II and I also found them to be accurate.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Other than a frequent light hit requiring another trigger pull to set the round off; the little Taurus pistol is impressive. I still need to figure that out…..
    Back to the Quiet ammo high tech tests;
    It went right through a 10”white pumpkin

Entry and exit shown.

The 710fps loads are great for old guns of dubious strength.
    They work great in my Stevens Little Scout.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    I'm surprised you got it to shoot in the Taurus. They wouldn't function in my S&W 41 with the low power recoil spring. They do functiion in my 10" Ruger MK II and I also found them to be accurate.
    The model 41 is notorious for not functioning with lightly loaded .22 lr.

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    The 710fps loads are great for old guns of dubious strength.
    They work great in my Stevens Little Scout.
    I recently did some rehab work on a friend's Little Scout, one of the original pre WW1 models. Handed it back with a few boxes of Quiet, and the strong admonition never to shoot High Speed ammo in the little rifle again!
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickinTN View Post
    I really enjoy the CCI "Supressor" load. 45 grain hollow point bullet with lots of Smack!
    Good Luck,
    Rick
    This is my go to load for woodchucks in my yard. Never seen on slip away!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Buddy
    I have found CCI Standard Velocity to be basically as quiet as the quiet stuff. I hope you guys don't clean out all the retailers of it now that I've said that, although I have thousands on the shelf.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by downzero View Post
    I have found CCI Standard Velocity to be basically as quiet as the quiet stuff. I hope you guys don't clean out all the retailers of it now that I've said that, although I have thousands on the shelf.
    You are not giving the barrel length.
    From a 24 inch CZ452 I have fired standard velocity and CCI segmented quiet ammo. The quiet ammo is about the same as a typical pellet gun and is stated to be 80DB. Standard velocity is a bit louder in my rifle.
    Below is what I use.

There is a semi-auto loading that may be louder; Muzzle Velocity 835 vs 710 for what I use.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    You are not giving the barrel length.
    From a 24 inch CZ452 I have fired standard velocity and CCI segmented quiet ammo. The quiet ammo is about the same as a typical pellet gun and is stated to be 80DB. Standard velocity is a bit louder in my rifle.
    Below is what I use.

There is a semi-auto loading that may be louder; Muzzle Velocity 835 vs 710 for what I use.

My samples are 4.5 and 16 inches

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RickinTN View Post
    CCI makes a CB Long load also and it is excellent. I really enjoy the CCI "Supressor" load. 45 grain hollow point bullet with lots of Smack!
    Good Luck,
    Rick
    I just checked; I see it offered for sale. It is listed as being less powerful than the CCI quiet load

CB 22 Long 29 Grain
    Part # 38

Grain Weight: 29
    Muzzle Velocity: 710

The muzzle velocity of the quiet and CB long loads are listed as the same, but the long load does use the lighter 29 grain bullet of .22 long and also of the short.
    So the long might be quieter. I like the quiet segmented bullet for shooting squirrel/tree rats. Any solid body shot makes not only a non-survivable wound, but also one that will quickly cause them to die
    link
    https://www.cci-ammunition.com/rimfire/cci/cb/6-38.html

I have used the Win 45 grain subsonics with good success. However, I found that, contrary to the Win claims, the powder or its priming compound is in fact corrosive and if not throughly cleaned after each shooting outing it will rust and pit a barrel. Lost a 510 barrel to a box of the Win Subsonic non-corrosive ammo. Was wondering why they printed big letters, Non Corrosive in their ads. I had a spare short barrel, that had, had a messed up muzzle before I cut, threaded and re-crowned that replacement 16 1/2" barrel.
    With a fair supply of PMC Target, Standard Velocity, 40 grain ammo, I mostly use that ammo with a 510 short barrel and a can. Has good accuracy at 100.
    The 40 VS the 29 has 63% more energy at the same velocity and distance from the muzzle.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers