Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: which rifle?

Boolit Buddy

which rifle?

I will be hunting over a food plot between 2 fence lines. My shot will be 40 yards or less.
    Will a .25-20 using jacketed bullets kill a deer if shot placement is correct? OR.....
    a 30-40 Krag using cast bullets?

Boolit Grand Master

After my dad had heart surgery he used a 25-20 to like a nice whitetail buck. I used the same rifle to take one also. That being said the 30-40 is a better option in my opinion.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    I'd go with the 30-40 without more details on the loads for each. Even with that, I'd probably still say the 30-40.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    The 30-40 by all means. They are known for shooting heavy boolits well. Get the alloy right & it is a slammer. Powder coat helps. -06

If you do your part, the .25-20 will work being that close.
    However; whatever the .25-20 can do,,,,, the .30-40 can do better.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    They both have the cool factor, that's for sure. If you are confident in the 25-20 and you have proper shot placement, you should be good. 30-40 will give you more margin of error to get the job done. I'd say you need to make the ultimate decision as you know your shooting abilities & shot discipline. I think the hardest thing to do as a hunter is to know your limitations of your equipment and self and to not try and force something outside of those.

Boolit Grand Master
    Having both caliber's, although I have only shot cast in my .25-20; I have to say the .30-40 is a better deer round.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Will powder coated cast expand enough to do the job?

Boolit Master
    If I had a pet deer that I was crazy about, I would not want you to shoot it with a 25-20 at 40 yards because I know it would almost certainly die. However, if I were hunting and wanted to feel confident that a deer I shot could be recovered I wouldn't want to use a 25-20. It's just too marginal in my opinion. I have a 32-20 that I've considered but even with that step up I'm not comfortable.

The 30-40 gives a nice margin of safety so that's what I'd use.

Boolit Master
    All my cast deer hunting loads give between 2,000 and 2,135 ft/sec and they expand like jacketed in factory loads when shot into gallon water jugs. This is with 50/50 Clip-on-WW/Pure Lead plus 1 or 2 % Tin. I don't see how powder coating could change that with the same alloy.

Boolit Master

I'm curious about your "shot placement" Where exactly were you going to poke the critter with the 25 ? brains? spine? heart? Oddly, I think all three of those somehow get a lot bigger when you up caliber. You got a scope? and loads to justify having a scope? I'd probly go with the 30-40. good luck

.30-40 with a flat point boolit
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master
    I am not a fan of using marginal calibers. Deer are not difficult to kill. Some poachers around here use a .22.

Think about your capabilities and experience. Make the decision based on what you know and don't know.

Unless there is a good reason not to use the .30-40 why would you consider the .25-20?
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Powder coating is a very easy process. If I can do it it's got to be easy, I'm not a high tech person. Any coating will establish some resistance to expansion, but after the pressure of the rifling there should be little to no resistance to the expansion. Never heard anyone with any complaints in this department. -06

I would use the 30-40 as long as you are confident in its accuracy. The one problem I see in using the 25-20 is the bullet. If it’s a factory loaded jacketed bullet it is designed for smaller varmints and most likely you would be lacking in penetration.
    I have a single shot rifle in 256 Win mag that I can load 87 or even 100 gr. Rifle bullets in out to 2.00”+ and can get velocities near what factory 25-35 loads deliver . I would use it for deer in a controlled condition such as a 40 yard shot and calm deer that I can wait for the perfect shot and angle .
    It is a legal caliber in the upper half of lower MI where I hunt sometimes and it’s something I plan to do one day if I have the right conditions. But it probably has twice the energy of a 25-20.

Jedman

I know it has been and is capable and I have one (25-20), but
    I'd take the 30-40.
    And I get groups like this.

RP
    Last edited by Pereira; 11-09-2023 at 09:49 AM. Reason: added pic.

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Master
    Had an acquaintance in Colorado who poached elk with a 25-20, shot them in the heart at 25 yards or less, they would walk off, lay down and die. Use the 30-40 with a flatnose bullet, any of the 30-30 bullets, 311041, RCBS 30-180 Flat Nose or NOE clone(my personal preference), the Lee 309-170, run a gas check 1600-2000 fps, much more reliable on deer at any range.

Boolit Buddy
    I would use the 30-40 as I believe that the 25-20 would be marginal on deer sized game. If you are confident in your abilities with the 25-20 go for it. Good luck on your hunt.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

At 40 yds you could load the 30/40 with a very mild heavy cast load with very reduced recoil if recoil is a concern. The heavy cast boolit will do the job. Practice.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Master
    World record whitetail was killed with a 25-20, world record elk with a 30-40. Both records stood for a good chunk of a century.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk