Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Scammed. need some advice

Boolit Bub

Scammed. need some advice

Walked in and wife was on phone and upset. She got an email saying she had bought something and call this number. Scammer appeared to be able to see her screen on I-phone 10 or 11, or at least was telling her which button to push. She may have been on with him for a half hour or more. We called bank and Paypal and other financial contacts. My question is could he see more info on the phone than was visible on the screen? My concern is like social security, Medicare number. We are currently having the phone "wiped clean" at the request of the bank. What are some other things to worry about?

Thanks for any help. I will keep this updated. We are not very knowledgeable about this
    Farmer66

Boolit Buddy
    Depends on the method of access used by the scammer. If you have screen sharinging of sometype downloaded and they call you and they trick you into connecting with them they can only see what you see.

If they were able to ssh/vnc into your system they can access whatever they want. And you may or may not see them remotely controlling your device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggest concern would be having shared any password or if you sent money. Without installing any software or going to a website that installs a remote access software, they would not have any access. Change all passwords you use and enable multi-factor authentication (e.g. google authenticator) if available for that service/website. Monitor credit card statements as well.

I personally would not be too concerned about SSN or medicare - that is already information that is available on the darknet with 10h of Millions of complete records.
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Moderator Emeritus

Does she know what buttons she pushed or what was accessed? Anything like settings with stored passwords?

Boolit Master
    rightho...first off... the good wife will be very upset... chocolates,flowers and chamomille tea needed.
    then explain if anyone rings and wants ANY sort of details,they need to tell you/her where they are from,what office,in what town/city..... you ask for spelling of thier name.. write this down as given and read it back.
    then hangup phone,look up companys phone number and ring them,asking for employee X if at this point they are legit,you can continue conversation but be sure to writedown what is said etc... make sure to read it back to them...do this with all phone dealings with companies...if any issues when ring them again, read out your notes,including time date and persons name.... the new person on phone has just been given a headsup you arent the person to muck around with as you will call back and speak to boss.....with details.
    good luck with scammer,sounds like you have done the right thing.
    I have great delight in asking scammers,if they have windows in building they are in...if they open.... then saying well open it and jump out you ...."person who has unnatural relations with members of pig family"..tends to get them rather upset for some reason and they dont ring back

Boolit Bub
    She is upset and embarrassed so info is difficult to get right now. It was Paypal and she got the number to call using Google on her phone. No passwords were discussed so that is helpful. Scammer said they need to catch the crook, the home phone was ringing off the wall. Scammer says to call the bank on the home phone and do not mention him or they will freeze the account, so the scammer will get away and not be caught. Incredible!

Cancel and replace all CC, change EVERY password you can think of, and yes, do 2 part authentication, i.e.,,you need your phone to log into the website.
    But don't give anyone who calls you any information.. none. Don't click on ANY email link. Delete the email and close the browser, then open it up and log into that site to really see I'd there is a problem. 99.999% of the time there isn't. Amazon isn't gonna shut down your account t...

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    In my experience ,for users who have strong secure passwords,and arent conned by the scam caller,are most likley to have money taken via Pay Pal,and PP is likely to be resistant to refunding the stolen money,and to take the longest when they do return money.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    In my experience ,for users who have strong secure passwords,and arent conned by the scam caller,are most likley to have money taken via Pay Pal,and PP is likely to be resistant to refunding the stolen money,and to take the longest when they do return money.
    I have had the opposite reactions from them. Case in point, I ordered a pressure canner last night on what should have been a legit site (referred by Google shopping). Placed the order and used PayPal. Something went funny and screen went to an empty cart. Got an email confirming the purchase of a "streaming service" with a person's name for the correct amount. They had also set up automatic payments (hate those) for about $390 a day for the next seven days! I called PayPal and they immediately refunded my money and canceled the vendor after looking into it for just a few minutes. They have done good in the past also.