RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: Common powder

Boolit Bub

Common powder

What are some common powders used between 7 and 8x57 mauser?

Boolit Grand Master

H4895 and IMR4895.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Welcome to the forum jss227: Larry Gibson is correct as always.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks.

Boolit Bub
    How about 1680?

1680 is too fast.
    Medium burn rate powders work the best like 3031 to 4350 IMR, H335 to H4350,W748 to W760 and others.
    I’m using Norma 203B currently in my 8x57 for jacketed bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Back in the day, IMR 4064 was my go to powder for the 8x57. It will work with the 7x57 as well.
    Last edited by littlejack; 11-09-2023 at 04:06 PM.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master
    I've reloaded the 8x57 Mauser for 38 years, and I have used a great many propellants in it. I think you will find it more difficult to find a propellant that does NOT work well in it, than to find one that DOES. Since the round is in the same general performance/capacity/bore diameter range of cartridges as other military rounds, propellants that work well in them generally work well in the 8x57mm.
    For projectiles weighing 150 gr. or less, I found IMR-3031 to give excellent velocities and accuracy, though because it did not meter well, I obtained best results by hand-trickling the charges. This may be more work than you want. OTHER, better-metering propellants near the burning rate of IMR-3031 should give similar results.
    For projectiles weighing 170 gr. and above, I have used WIN748, AA#2460, IMR-4895, IMR-4064, and Hodgdon Varget, all delivering very good to excellent results. As bullet weights increased, Varget and IMR-4895 tended to shine brightest. In all these years, I have not had the chance to use H4895 in 8x57mm, but you may find that this becomes your "go to" propellant for the round. Among other virtues, it can be used in lower-velocity reloads with cast bullets, by using the "60% rule" to reduce the charge weight accordingly.
    I have never used propellants as slow as IMR-4320 (now discontinued) in my 8x57mm, but something similar may be required to get top velocities for projectiles weighing 200 gr. and up. I have seen data for 200 gr. and heavier bullets, using IMR-4350, but I do not think you need to use a propellant THAT slow-burning to get good results. On the other hand, you may find that IMR-4350 is a perfect fit for heavier projectiles (130 gr. and up) in 7x57.

If I simply HAD to run both calibers on one propellant, I would look for IMR-4895, IMR-4064, or Varget, and plan to use projectiles no heavier than 140 gr in the 7x57mm, and use 150gr. to 200 gr. projectiles in 8x57mm.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Bub
    Great write-up, thank you.