WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Lyman 55 measure with 45acp

Boolit Master

Lyman 55 measure with 45acp

I love using my Lyman 55 for most everything except 45acp. I have what I believe are the two available drop tubes, a short unthreaded one and the longer threaded version for use with the adaptor on the press.

In both cases neither one has a discharge end that’s big enough for a .45 case to firmly get up in the coned section to receive the powder, but rather the expanded case sets to the outside of the cone area and some powder spillage has occurred when not precisely aligned. The instruction manual/parts list shows a large and a small, but the pix I have seen both look the same as what I have.

I also figured out 223 doesn’t work as well either as that case fits up inside the measure and the powder bridged horribly on the first case. To get out of that one I actually dumped the charge into a case funnel and into the teeny neck.

Am I missing something on the .45 acp? I’m about ready to look for someone with a lathe or 3D printer to custom make something.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'll try to remember to look at mine tonight.

I haven't loaded a lot of .45ACP with it, but I don't recall having any problems.

Robert

No real answer yet. I did at least look at my 55 today and remember I needed to check on it, but I had the dog on a leash and he needed to go out.

Robert
    Last edited by Mk42gunner; 11-08-2023 at 08:17 PM. Reason: update

I just finished loading a batch of .45 ACP and I wrapped the threads of my Lyman 55 with enough Teflon tape to fit snugly in the Lee PTE die. I used AA#2, a very fine ball powder.
    It worked pretty well, enough to make me want to make a sleeve/bushing for an even tighter fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Texas,

There is someone that makes a threaded adapter to Lee die that sells it on that auction site. I don’t have one but thought about it.

Search on Lyman Lee adapter

Quote Originally Posted by j4570 View Post
    Texas,

There is someone that makes a threaded adapter to Lee die that sells it on that auction site. I don’t have one but thought about it.

Search on Lyman Lee adapter
    The one I saw has the female 7/8”-14 thread;
    My Lyman 55 has the smaller “310” die thread.
    Thanks, though!

Boolit Master
    Just to shut down that line of discussion....

I am not doing this on any press at all, though i do have the nessissary bushings and adaptors to do so. On press adapting discussions are irrelevant to my original post.

This is the simple act of holding the case against the drop tube to receive the powder charge.

Boolit Grand Master
    MMW, there were actually two sizes of threaded drop tubes as well as two of the non threaded. I haven’t loaded any 45s on my Lyman 55 for a few decades, but I can’t remember having trouble getting the case mouths to fit as needed into the opening of the larger drop tube. I can’t get to my reloading stuff right now, but when I can get back to it, I’ll check (assuming no one else beats me to it with an answer!)
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

The are 2 sizes of drop tubes; .22cal & .30cal,
    I use the .30cal to load 1.0gr charges of Bulleye for .32S&W and 70+gr charges of IMR4831 for .300WbyMag.
    Never had a bridging problem or any other kind of problem. Have used a Lyman 55 since the 1960's.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Quote Originally Posted by metricmonkeywrench View Post
    Just to shut down that line of discussion....

I am not doing this on any press at all, though i do have the nessissary bushings and adaptors to do so. On press adapting discussions are irrelevant to my original post.

This is the simple act of holding the case against the drop tube to receive the powder charge.
    I’m sorry, I ran into the same problem so I solved it with what I had. Doing it on the press was my only option other than holding a funnel to the case one at a time.
    My 55 has the .22 caliber drop tube.
    .45 case butts up against it square- no nesting.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I’m sorry, I ran into the same problem so I solved it with what I had. Doing it on the press was my only option other than holding a funnel to the case one at a time.
    My 55 has the .22 caliber drop tube.
    .45 case butts up against it square- no nesting.

No worries, just want to keep the conversation on track. We are a drifty bunch and can often go down some deep rabbit holes.

I think I’m finding out there are two different sizes of each type (threaded and non threaded) but the parts listing is not to clear. I may end up contacting Lyman to see if they can help. I do have an RCBS measure that does work quite well so I’m not dead in the water, but it is annoying not to be able to use the #55. I would think that given the life of the measure this conundrum is not documented more.

Boolit Master
    I have two of the 55’s. One is the newer gray version and one is an older orange version I picked up NIB a couple years ago. The new one only has one drop tube and it won’t accommodate a .45ACP, but the original Orange version came with two drop tubes and they both will work with a .45ACP.

Boolit Grand Master
    I looked at mine today, it is old enough that it is orange colored and did come to me with both drop tubes.

The one installed has a hole about 30 caliber (makes sense, I was loading .38 Special with it last time). Just for kicks, I compared the lower opening to a 7mm BR (.473" casehead). The case head would not go into the reverse funnel, neither would the shoulder.

I know I have loaded .45 ACP with it, I guess I was just extra careful in lining the cases up.

Maybe giving a deburring tool a twist or two in the lower end of the drop tube would help?

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Here is my old Lyman 55 on the left with a 45 ACP case. It’s from one with the metal top and orange in an old style cardboard box. It has a single mill spot to hold it in the measure. The one on the right I’m not sure where I got it. It has the groove all the way around. I can’t remember what my accumeasures have so it might be from there. But it has the same hole and funnel shape.

Not much spare room there but I did load 45 ACP with it years ago before I got a progressive. I don’t remember having any problems.

Jason

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6516.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	319775

Boolit Master
    I grabbed some pix to illustrate the issue. Turns out I have both the "Large and Small" versions in the longer threaded style. I'm beginning to figure out that the outer dimensions of the drop tube stay the same but the inner hole is either the large or small. This would explain my one attempt at .223 the powder charge was not "bridging" the case neck went up into the drop tube with room all around, turns out my short unthreaded style is a "large" as shown in the pix below, if i had used the longer threaded "small" i wouldent have had a problem. All 3 of the drop tubes do the same thing the .45 case just will not go up onto the cone for a positive connection and a clean drop. The RCBS on the left and the 9mm case on the right demonstrate being "up in the cone"

I did contact Lyman via the Web and got a nice reply stating essentially they no longer support the #55 and suggested looking on evilbay for parts, Oh well.

May look into some of the local geeks to see if I can get a 3D printed sleeve that can get me to where I want to be.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lyman Drop tubes.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	319791

Boolit Master
    Checked my 55's and one is flared enough that 45 ACP fits into the end although there is not a lot of room to spare. The other two are like the OP's. Also have a set of plastic drop tube made by Frankford Arsenal that are sized for caliber and replace the Lyman drop tube, but are not threaded for for a bushing adapter. Only work if the measure is clamped to the edge of the bench. Checked and they do not show these drop tubes on their site and a quick search of Ebay was unsuccessful. Don't know what tools you have access to the but solution might be to open the flare to the full diameter of the drop tube.

Boolit Mold
    I too have an orange 55 I needed a set screw for the micro dial. I contacted Lyman inquiring about it was told there are no longer any parts available for this model since it has been out of production for years.
    USN (ret)

Boolit Buddy
    Here’s where we had a discussion about those screws

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...Lyman-55/page2