WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Shoe Cream/Polish Brand?

Boolit Master

Black Shoe Cream/Polish Brand?

I have been using the same jar of black shoe polish for my entire adult life - a sure sign In lucky enough not to need to polish shoes often. Still, I like the brand I have, Propert's... the only problem is that they apparently don't make it anymore. The jar I have looks like it was made in 1965, so maybe it's no surprise.

So the question is, what do you folks use for black polish on your fancy shoes? Have a favorite brand, or one to avoid?
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Master
    I have used Kiwi my entire life. Seems to get the job done.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    For spit shining parade boots we used Lincoln polish from the PX.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    +1 Kiwi. Probably have used others over the years but the Kiwi remains

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    I have used Kiwi my entire life. Seems to get the job done.

Same here.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    Same here.
    Same for me as well.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    1. Lincoln
    2. Kiwi Parade Gloss
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

I've only ever used the kiwi polish to shine shoes. I liked to light it on fire to make the polish soft, wipe it in to the leather with a cotton rag and polish and make it shine with a cotton ball and water.

I haven't used shoe polish in years. My red wing work boots are very neglected.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Recycled bullet View Post
    I've only ever used the kiwi polish to shine shoes. I liked to light it on fire to make the polish soft, wipe it in to the leather with a cotton rag and polish and make it shine with a cotton ball and water.

I haven't used shoe polish in years. My red wing work boots are very neglected.
    Same here except for lighting it. Haven't worn dress shoes since I stopped working except for maybe three occasions.

Boolit Master
    in usmc boot camp @ parris island; we used Kiwi. drill instructors said it is the best for "spit shine" other that waterproffing products, that is all that i have ever used

Being of the old 101st Airborne, anything not painted was polished, to a highly reflective shine, all inspection leather was spit shined, period. Best not catch you using a spray or brush applied polish, either. Used a lot of Kiwi, every year. When the son went to Jump School, I gave him my old pair of inspection Cochran jump boots, that I spit shined from the top to the bottom, as they should be, to wear at his graduation. Pinned his wings on, as is tradition, father/son. He was the oldest student in his class and I was the oldest Jump School graduate present. Had a party on me, down town, after the ceremony, for the Pararescue, Seals, Scout Snipers, Rangers, etc.

First time done, a proper spit shine can take hours, later with practice, it only takes minutes. If you use a T shirt, one side cuts and the other side polishes with melted Kiwi and water in the can lid. No short cuts, polish one spot at a time, connecting the spots. Before you start clean with a tooth brush and flowing water, every speck of drift or dust.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master

Kiwi. Still use it more than 5 decades later.

Worked great everywhere except 29 Palms. Go to formation or Parade ground in highly polished shoes or boots - 15 minutes later, they were flat black as the sun and heat would melt the polish.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

Kiwi!!!

As a PMI on Parris island, grass week was hell on the shine. Range week not so bad!

Boolit Master
    Only ever used Kiwi.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Master
    My first experience with shoe polishing was with my WW1 veteran great grandfather. He was Canadian cavalry (joined in 1916 because the US was dragging their feet in his words). He would make sure that your church shoes were impeccably clean with brushes and wet cloths, dry them thoroughly and begin his "wee little circle" method of polishing in front of the fire. Would allow them to warm until glistening, then go at the polish for real - finishing up with a boiled rag until you could reflect the firelight. I believe that I was 13 when he passed, but I'll bet I can still repeat his process!
    His polish choice was Kiwi as I mentioned above, the smell of that - pipe tobacco and scarlet oil still brings his face and voice back to me.

Boolit Grand Master
    Regular Kiwi for me. I don't like the parade gloss version, it seemed to crack when my boots flexed.

The only thing I put a spit shine on anymore is my last pair of leather dress shoes that I bought in 96. They still work for wearing with suits when I go to a wedding or funeral.

My everyday Redwings get a brushed polish job once in a while, when I get to feeling too guilty.

Robert

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    For spit shining parade boots we used Lincoln polish from the PX.
    I just had the mother of all flashbacks to Fort Lost in the Woods! There was some other liquid that was sold right along side it in a small plastic bottle that would add a gloss on top of the spit shine. Too much would crack the polish, though, so it was pretty much for ***'s that didn't know how to spit shine.

We always used heat guns to melt and smooth the wax until a guy tried a torch, lit the whole big can of wax on fire, then kicked it all over his barracks room to try and put it out.

Boolit Master
    Kiwi, for me, too. Including being taught to spit-shine shoes by a young (but older than I was) Marine friend several years before I enlisted in the USAF. Melt a little candle wax into the can of Kiwi Black used for the spit-shine. Gives a good hard base to shine.

Boolit Grand Master

I was really good a spit-shining. I went the lazy route and switched to Corfam's.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys! A tin of Kiwi is on its way, advice is much appreciated!
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast