RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: I did something nice for a mink

I did something nice for a mink

I was walking by a shed in the dark and heard a strange sound. It sounded like a thud with some scratching and that same sound kept repeating. I've been carrying more but of course not this time but had a good flashlight.
    I pointed the light in the shed and moved to try and see as much as possible. It was a single stall shed with a farm tractor backed in and shed is open to the south.

I got closer and closer figured out a mink got into a garbage can and wasn't able to get out. My guess was that it was a rat and was thinking tuff luck but I thought I should make sure. The can had a cover and on the cover was a box that had gopher bait and traps in it but the cover was just a peice of metal and left a gap big enough for stuff to go in there.

I took my phone and pointed in the can with the cover in place and snapped a picture and was surprised to see a mink in their. I don't know how long it was there but was in the shed Sunday to get the bait for gophers.

I suppose it thought his goose was cooked especially with me there but I pulled the can over with a rope so it could get free.

Mink https://imgur.com/a/2sdTkk1
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master

Cute little rascal.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Having gone out to the hen house on multiple occasions and found chickens with their throats torn out, I have a different view of mink. The chickens were avenged.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Hanover NH has a brook called Mink Brook
    a steep splashing stream up on Moose Mountain.
    Wife's co-worker had a mink farm high up on Mink Brook,
    and the minks might sometimes escape.
    NH Fin and Fur fined him for losing minks, the farmer asked
    "How can you tell they are my minks?"
    "Because there are no minks in Mink Brook"
    "Then why do we call it Mink Brook?"
    Turns out, the neighbors on Mink Brook didn't like minks.
    Dratted misplaced yuppies...

We took the kids to visit, wasn't far from my house, nice walk, the guy would pick up a mink with welding gloves on, and the mink would start shredding one of the glove's fingers, rip pieces of leather off. He didn't put his fingers in the glove's fingers, impressive stunt to show a kid, how fast a mink can shred leather. "And this is a tame mink I raised from a pup".

Moderator Emeritus

If I had caught it in a gopher trap and gone to check on the legalities of selling the pelt without a trappers license, I would not have been happy.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by .429&H110 View Post
    Hanover NH has a brook called Mink Brook
    a steep splashing stream up on Moose Mountain.
    Wife's co-worker had a mink farm high up on Mink Brook,
    and the minks might sometimes escape.
    NH Fin and Fur fined him for losing minks, the farmer asked
    "How can you tell they are my minks?"
    "Because there are no minks in Mink Brook"
    "Then why do we call it Mink Brook?"
    Turns out, the neighbors on Mink Brook didn't like minks.
    Dratted misplaced yuppies...

We took the kids to visit, wasn't far from my house, nice walk, the guy would pick up a mink with welding gloves on, and the mink would start shredding one of the glove's fingers, rip pieces of leather off. He didn't put his fingers in the glove's fingers, impressive stunt to show a kid, how fast a mink can shred leather. "And this is a tame mink I raised from a pup".
    Yeah I figured it could be rather feisty so wanted to have some distance between me and the mink. I didn't want him to do the math and realize that I was the reason he was stuck in there. So the length of rope had me outside of the shed.

It seems to me there was a mink farm in our area too. I can remember kids in school talking about one and likewise it was looked on negatively by neighbors. It stopped in the late 1970's or so

Boolit Master

Not a mink but I get Ermine here every now and then I had one in the pole barn did not know what was leaving white bird like droppings put in a few leg hold traps and caught the ermine. The trap was to large and caught and crushed the chest killing it . I have seen them in my wood pile and Wally ( my corgi) had cornered one under the sand filter for the pool the sounds it made reminded me of a Mongoose . I pulled Wally away and let it be .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    Ermine (Weasel) are my friends. I have a cabin on a lake that I use as a hunting/fishing/vacation get away. The original cabin was a shack, made of whatever I could scrounge in the way of building material. I used a lot of peeled pine poles for studs and rafters. The end result was that the local varmint population came and went at will. I often had a weasel take up residence in the winter. No more varmints!! Just the odd bird foot and/or feathers, no sign of varmint parts at all. In the late 1990's I had a proper cabin built and it is (so far) varmint proof, BUT-----
    R.D.M.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I got fooled by the headline.
    I thought it was going to be about a chick who was hoping to receive a fur coat.
    Snort!