MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Which ones to keep and which to scrap?

Boolit Buddy

Which ones to keep and which to scrap?

This project is fifteen years in the making and I am just getting around to it. I about 90 gazillion spent .22 cases all the the way from shorts to WMR. But ninety per cent is long rifle. I have settled on BT's 69 grain bullets which means the long rifle length.

Out of all that what manufacturers should I sort for and keep and which should be scrapped? I only need 40 gazillion for home grown bullets.
    Fifty years a lawyer and you still look down your nose at your fellow citizens who study and know law better than you. Every
    citizen is an attorney.

Boolit Master

Separate some by headstamps and weigh them and see what ones are the most consistent.

Boolit Master
    In my experience Ely match brass is the most consistent

Boolit Buddy
    I do them by head stamp. I weigh each one and core together add lead shavings before core seating to get my desired weight.

Boolit Master

I now separate by head stamp BUT you can still run into cases that are of different lengths I forget what brands I have the most trouble with . Remington cases seem to give me the most trouble and Federal the least trouble much of that was taken care of when I started annealing the cases before derimming.
    I am making most of my bullets in the 50 grain weight range as vermin is my most common target . Loaded to 3000 f/s from my Mini 14 they exit a coon broad side but not lengthwise each has been D.R.T. along with several skunk and possum . The skunks did spray/leak I find shot loads best for them .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Buddy
    I have been using BT’s set up for 55gr and have been swaging every .22 case I can find. I just finished my 2,500th bullet yesterday. I have found even with mixed headstamps the bullets are consistent enough for my usage. I do inspect and weigh every bullet and sort by culls (visible flaws such as poorly formed tips or firing pin scar holes), perfect 55.0gr, and everything else. Obviously there is some variation in the “everything else” category but they’re good enough to keep a bouncer jumping around at the 100yd range. I would be confident hunting coyotes with them.