Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Old 30-06 brass

Old 30-06 brass

As I am cleaning up and sorting out stuff, I have run across a bunch of old 06 brass. Some of it military stuff dated '18 and '19. It looks to be in good shape, age tarnished but not corroded. Many other old stamps as well.

What do you think, old brass still viable for loading or just good for looking pretty?
    Rusty

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20231029_100601.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	319571

Name:	20231029_100608.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	319572

Name:	20231029_100611.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	319573

Boolit Grand Master

It probably has more collectors value than shooter brass. That being said, it should be fine to use.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

The 1918 is crimped for aircraft use. Very collectible. Brass in time will become very brittle and that old is corrosive primed. If you want to use it it would be best to break it down before firing then do a neck anneal.
    Facta non verba

Boolit Master

Back in the 1980's I picked up a bunch of 30-06 Brass at a small 2nd Hand store, Gun Store, Jewelry Store in Yerington Nevada that had come from the Hawthorne Army Depot (Prior to that it was a Naval Depot). Many Hundreds of rounds of 30-06 Brass from the 1917 to late 1930's head stamps. Also had a few hundred that were 03/Government. In my younger days and given lack of appreciation for the age of the Brass - I simply sized and loaded them for use in my M1 Garand and High Power matches until they were worn out. These were all "Demills" form the Depot in Hawthorne is what I was told.

Would be nice to have those 03/Government cases back just for Display and Discussion.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    Back in the 1980's I picked up a bunch of 30-06 Brass at a small 2nd Hand store, Gun Store, Jewelry Store in Yerington Nevada that had come from the Hawthorne Army Depot (Prior to that it was a Naval Depot). Many Hundreds of rounds of 30-06 Brass from the 1917 to late 1930's head stamps. Also had a few hundred that were 03/Government. In my younger days and given lack of appreciation for the age of the Brass - I simply sized and loaded them for use in my M1 Garand and High Power matches until they were worn out. These were all "Demills" form the Depot in Hawthorne is what I was told.

Would be nice to have those 03/Government cases back just for Display and Discussion.
    Same for me but mine was loaded GI ammo. In the 70's I was gifted about 3.5K of various GI 30-06. The oldest was 1918 with a bunch from the mid 20's and late 40's. The black tip slayed may rocks and old farm equipment on the junk pile. The tracer was mostly used on carp at dusk. That taught me a very healthy respect for ricochets. I still have and still use some of the brass from the 40's. Never had an issue with any of it that I can remember.

I wish I had saved some for the collector's value.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Might be worth more to sell to a collector, although I am still shooting some SL '42 ammo.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Name:	06 brass.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	319575
    Well, now to find a collector...

Boolit Grand Master

Military weapons collector shows would be a good start.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Shooting some 40's ammo with cast here, works fine. I've not had any older, much from the 50's and 60's though.