Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hip replacements......let's hear your stories!

Hip replacements......let's hear your stories!

Met with the surgeon today.....it's as bad as I expected. Bone on bone...left hip is done. He said on a 1-10 scale....it's a 10. Actually seemed a bit surprised I was still walking on it. Heading in on Dec. 1 for install of the new one. He'll do the anterior (front side) and said he cuts no muscle...I'll walk out same day of surgery.

I'd love to hear others' experiences....
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

I know a then person who had his hip and knee replaced. About a year out he took a fall and snapped his femur, the surgeon had to wrap & lace the femur together for about 8" to get it normal like again.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master

It works, don't sweat it.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I had both of mine done about ten years ago. I was walking in the hallways the next day after each. Hip replacement is one of the most successful major operations done today. You’ll feel so much better afterwards. You should be excited to be finally getting it done. Good luck and heal fast.

i have 2 total hips that came a few years after a tough logging accident. the relief of the back ground pain I'd been living with was truly eye opening... it will give you another shot at living a full life... get out and walk everyday as you recover...

Boolit Master
    go get it done, words cannot convey the relief you get, had mine done (Birmingham type) walking as soon as spine block wore off. done 10 yrs a go,walk as soon as they will let you when they aren't looking run. LOL best wishes for speedy recovery

I work in a hospital in PT and have seen thousands of them. Many have less pain the day after surgery than before. That anterior hip is the better than a posterior because you have less restrictions. Git er dun!
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Moderator Emeritus

I am having MRI's done on the lower lumbar and both sides of the hip in a few weeks. Get to be there at 7am and was told will take two hours straight with no break. Shouldn't be a problem as the only position I can do for that long is flat in my back. They are trying to figure out why I can't sit, stand, etc for more than 45 minutes or so without pain. Already had L4-5 done (get me walking right) and nerves burnt above and below but nothing has helped that aspect. Wish you the best of luck. From others comments, you should be fine.
    Ron

Boolit Master
    Old horse wreck caught up with me. Right hip replaced in Dec 2020. Had the 'conventional' rear cut. Used a walker a couple weeks, a cane a few more, then walking freely. Hip works great, I can spend hours on my feet, hunting elk in the mountains at 74 thanks to the hip surgery.

Thanks for all the feedback! I am excited to have it done.....had the right one scoped about 7 yrs. ago and doc told me than that my left was actually in worse shape. He said I'd know when it was time to tackle the left one......and yep, it's time. Past time actually....but I had a pasture conversion / fencing project that just had to be done before I go down.

I've been thinking about the things I used to enjoy.....looking forward to getting back on the Ducati, playing golf with my son, hiking....and the list goes on!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    Wife's hips were just about locked five years ago, one was broken and pinned from a fall, other just wouldn't move, so she slept with oxycontin, life was not good. She could drive a car, but could not get out of it, requested we bury her in it. We moved to Tucson because Tucson Orthopedic Center has a lot of practice does robotic implants so both of her legs are within a millimeter of the same length. Length was a problem in the old days, geezers walked in circles, pulling around the short side. First hip took 40 minutes, kissed her goodbye, to kissed her hello. Second hip two months later took 80 minutes because they had to get the titanium pins out, and waited a month for the bone to heal before we did any fiscal therapy, she had to learn to walk all over again, the muscles were gone. Nowadays, at 78 she can walk the dog a mile, do two miles in walmart, and most important: get out of a car.

Most important!
    After an implant start out in a pool! As soon as the incision is dry get wet, walk neckdeep in the pool.
    We live in a village with a pool designed for grizzled grannies, and they use it, tough old birds.
    Start with floaties on your arms, just get the motion back, and build muscle.
    (My shoulders are much better, without surgery, just from swimming. Is it snowing where you are...sorry)
    (Our pool is heated to 80F, hot tub 90, cool out today, barely 80 out)
    Arizona pools have ducking chairs, you need not walk, the chair puts you in the pool.
    You find out who your friends are, who will push the up button, please?
    Just because you can walk the day after surgery, doesn't account for the weak ligaments tendons and bone loss.

We had a big poster in my shop, I want a copy: "DON'T FALL FOR ANYTHING!"

Boolit Master
    My wife, who passed in2018, had her hips done. She did not do her physical therapy as she was supposed to do ,but she didn't hurt so she was happy. Me and my children would highly recommend do the PT . You will walk much better with no pain and do more thing.

Boolit Master
    Old people at church are talking to doctors about hips knees shoulders hands, one nice lady has a broken bone in her foot that has been two months in a boot so far. Doctors will decline to put new knees in too fat, too old, too sick old people. The big bugaboo for implants is infection, it happens, but not a common complication. I don't go about liking hospitals, but the third floor of Tucson Orthopedic is remarkably clean, I have seen some hospitals that were as clean as a bus station. You have to have heart and lungs enough for surgery, after some age, we just aren't up for the adventure anymore.

Boolit Master

My mom has but one original joint left in her. Knees, hips and one shoulder, she's 84 gets around just fine.

Buddy just had his hip done was up and walking two hours after the procedure.

Good luck.

Boolit Buddy
    Had mine done at 33 years old(I'm 44 now). Was truly life changing. Broke it in a accident when I was 17 and set up arthritis and a cyst on the bone that kept locking me in the bent over position. Ran with my kids in a wheelbarrow as I had never been able to do it until then. 2 months dragging brush, 3 months back on the job, 6 months 100 percent. Mine was not done anterior so I had some down time.

Boolit Master

My wife had one last year. She had multiple ankle surgeries over the course of ten years, caused by tumors eating up the joints, culminating in an ankle joint replacement as well as fusion of the subtalar joint. It was a decade of pain and surgeries.

So finally the ankle was fixed to where she could walk without ankle pain, BUT now she was experiencing hip pain. They found a tumor in her hip that had destroyed that joint too. So, last year she had a hip replacement, at a relatively young age for that procedure. Comparatively, it was the easiest surgery of them all, by far. Recovery wasn't bad, and she gets around really good now.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I keep hearing people being operated on the front or back. As far as my scars show, it seems like I was operated on from the sides.

Boolit Master

Easy peasy.
    I walked as soon as I woke up and had coffee and a sandwich.
    I walked 300 feet with my walker and climbed and descended 7 stairs.
    I was operated on at 7 AM and was home 30 miles away by 3PM.
    I was driving in a week.
    I was 79 years old.

I had to get one after I broke the ball off when I fell on the ice and broke my hip they had screw me my bones together and then the ball was die on me and the top screw was scraping on the socket and I could not hardly walk, I get the replacement I am able to get around better then I was before surgery . If you need it get it done . You will feel better then you were.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    I'll echo the sentiments here. No reason not to get it done other than the general risk of surgery.

I had a back surgery a few years ago which has far more uncertain outcomes than hip surgery. I was already crippled before the surgery, so there really wasn't much to lose.

If you are in pain every day and your mobility is severely restricted, your outcomes are going to be a low chance of not surviving surgery vs. a large change at a significant improvement in your quality of life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast