Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: 450 Bushmaster loads

Boolit Bub

450 Bushmaster loads

Does anyone know which manuals have 450 Bushmaster load ? The Lyman 49th and 4th Cast manuals don't have it.
    Last edited by Moiecol; 11-20-2023 at 11:47 PM.

450 Bushmaster loads

the lyman 51st reloading manual has cast load data for a 225 grain plain base round nose and a 325 grain gas checked flat nose. I believe they also have loads for 4 jacketed loads. the 325 grain flat nosed bullet has been discontinued by lyman. i was bidding on a 325 gran mold on ebay and it went for more than i wanted to pay which, is the only one i’ve seen in the wild. the lyman 51st edition only lists 4-5 powders and they are all faster magnum pistol powder/shot gun powder.

the lyman 4th edition has zero data for the .450 BM

i tried lil-gun on a lee 255 grain plain bass bullet powder coated with both lil-gun and 5744. lil-gun was awful. 5744 was better but, still not really grouping. I believe lol-gun builds up pressure to fast for plain base bullets. lil gun may work with a gas checked bullet. i. going with 5744 route with my new NoE 304 grain mold.

basically i’ve been using the hodgon reloading data off the web site and using lower end jacketed data for 450 BM. the paper back edition of the hodgon guide does list jacketed loads with varget and a couple other powders not listed on the web site. for whatever reason no one has an all encompassing load data. you find a little bit all over and try to put it together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by michael.birdsley; 11-03-2023 at 05:02 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks that helps ! But I have another question for you ? For the 450BM is it worth doing hollow point cast bullets or just solid cast bullets

Boolit Grand Master

What do you plan on hunting / shooting ?
    Load a basic FN type slug cast of soft mix and a .452 slug will make a nice hole through most any critter.
    If we remember the old woods rifles like the 45-70 Trapdoor then apply the same basic parameters to the 45 BM then we are in a pretty good place to cause alot of damage to unarmored critters.
    A 350 grain FN cast of 40-1 (near Pure) up to 20-1 (range scrap) from a Trapdoor pushed by 2F Goex BP to the massive speed of 1200 fps will go through most any corn cruncher and black bear. Bet-cha a 350 FN cast of range scrap / ww pushed to 1300-1400 fps through your 45 BM will do the same.
    Yea we have a 45 BM. You really do not need the thunder of a 105 mm main tank gun to pop critters. But then we hunt river bottoms and a long shot for us is always under 30 yards.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy

My son recently received a Ruger bolt action in 450 BM. I was thinking about some plinking loads using a Lyman 230 TC bullets. Any experience with lighter bullet loads? Grandson really enjoys shooting. GW

Boolit Bub
    Ok, That good to know ! I'll do shooting first then hunting. I'll have plenty of lead, I'll just need to buy a newer manual and another mold.
    Last edited by Moiecol; 11-04-2023 at 05:21 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Found it !!! The Lyman AR Reloading Handbook 2nd Edition has a bit so it's a start.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Moiecol View Post
    Found it !!! The Lyman AR Reloading Handbook 2nd Edition has a bit so it's a start.
    I was going to suggest this I have thy book and used the loads to develop good hunting cast bullet loads for my Grandsons Ruger. I load a nice WFN they are VERY effective game getters. I push them high to moderate velocities I shoot mostly Gas Check but powder coat the plain base bullets. With that caliber expansion is not needed that Wide Flat Nose will punch right through and do plenty of tissue damage. But you can eat right up to the hole with cast.

Boolit Master

I went theu a number of powders swearing off LilGun and #9 and deciding on VV N120 and a 300g FTX Bullet @ about 1780 fps. Shoots touching holes.

Enforcer was pretty good.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw