MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .38 Long Colt Brass

Boolit Buddy

.38 Long Colt Brass

Just got a notification from Track of the Wolf that they have received some new Starline brass for .38 Long Colt.

Boolit Master

If you do not mind wrong head stamps you can just shorten 38 Specials .
    Firing up some of my grandpas old ammo I found some .38 long colt mixed in with .38 Special it shot fine.
    THE SAME CAN NOT BE DONE WITH .38 S&W !
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Buddy
    Dittos on the .38 Special brass. And, if using in a rifle, you can tune case length to your chamber if using heel bullets to minimize jump to the throat.

OTOH, I haven't found a smokeless load that obturates well enough to seal the chamber and prevent blowback along the case. The black powder loads seal much better. I tried Unique, IIRC around 3.5-4.0 gr(??) Reliable ignition, but always smudges on the case from poor obturation.
    John Wells in PA

Peabody's and Peabody-Martini's wanted
    Also shoot a 10-PDR Parrott Rifle in competition

You must be using 38 Special bullets in your 38 LC. If you use heel type bullets you will not have that problem.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tall View Post
    You must be using 38 Special bullets in your 38 LC. If you use heel type bullets you will not have that problem.
    will hollow base wad cutters work?

Boolit Buddy
    Nope, properly lubricated heel bullet, mouth-crimped with the Old West crimping die. Using this design, https://accuratemolds.com/bullet_det...bullet=38-160H cast 1:20 lead:tin Shoots quite well, but doesn't obturate the case enough to prevent blowback along case wall.
    John Wells in PA

Boolit Buddy
    I'm using a heel bullet and the old west crimping die already. .358 heel, .375 bearing surfaces, same dimensions as the old west bullet. Seals well with GOEX, doesn't seal with Unique. I thought about experimenting with Trail Boss...

What smokeless powder are you using?

I have thought about annealing the brass but it's easy to overdo annealing on such a short cartridge case.
    John Wells in PA

I have been using Bullseye per the instructions that came from Old West. It seems to be a pleasant enough load and not terribly dirty.

I have a revolver in 38 lc that I use 38 special brass full length with hollow based wadcutters. Works great.

Quote Originally Posted by freakonaleash View Post
    I have a revolver in 38 lc that I use 38 special brass full length with hollow based wadcutters. Works great.
    I could probably do that with mine. It's a Colt Model 1901 Army and it accepts 357 Magnum no problem.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Colt-New-Army-1901-Revolver-38-LC_e.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	320612

Edit - Not sure how accurate that would be with a .375" barrel and .357" bullets.......

I could probably do that with mine. It's a Colt Model 1901 Army and it accepts 357 Magnum no problem.

Edit - Not sure how accurate that would be with a .375" barrel and .357" bullets.......
    It would probably work with hollow base wadcutters.

I have a 1901 Colt DA 38 army. I simply use a 38 special case and a hollow base wadcutter seated outside of the case a small bit( a button wadcutter). With 2.8 grains bullseye. This is the classic target 38 special wadcutter load. The hollow base bullet expands well enough for the .375 bore. These bullets are available commercially of course. Originally I used 38 LC cases but it’s not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by smkummer View Post
    I have a 1901 Colt DA 38 army. I simply use a 38 special case and a hollow base wadcutter seated outside of the case a small bit( a button wadcutter). With 2.8 grains bullseye. This is the classic target 38 special wadcutter load. The hollow base bullet expands well enough for the .375 bore. These bullets are available commercially of course. Originally I used 38 LC cases but it’s not needed.
    Exactly what I do.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by smkummer View Post
    I thought they had changed from the .375 to the .357 bore by then, but apparently that was later. I know if you use a conversion cylendar in a .36 black powder revolver you either get the equipment to make heel based bullets (a total pain to make and load) or you order a hollow base mold from Boznia as that seems to be the only place they are made anymore. Anything else keyholes due to the oversized bore.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by firefly1957 View Post
    If you do not mind wrong head stamps you can just shorten 38 Specials .
    Firing up some of my grandpas old ammo I found some .38 long colt mixed in with .38 Special it shot fine.
    THE SAME CAN NOT BE DONE WITH .38 S&W !
    I kind of have to call you on this. Before I had proper brass, I shot my 38 S&W Baby Russian using shortened 38 Special brass with no issues. I even shot it with undersized bullets, as cast bullets at around .359". Can't say that the accuracy was not affected but it is not like they tumbled. They did not split or seem unacceptable. No leading or other adverse effects. I used Lyman handbook starting loads for similar weight bullets. I still have that shortened brass. I don't use it, I have plenty of proper brass, just saying it works in a way. Not dangerous.
    Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master

My Revolver with barrel marked .38 Long Colt accepts .357 Mag. ammo too. I guess it is a thing, a dangerous thing.
    Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    My Revolver with barrel marked .38 Long Colt accepts .357 Mag. ammo too.
    Tim
    I would not dare use that ammunition! I bet yours, like mine, is only marked "38 Colt".

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    My Revolver with barrel marked .38 Long Colt accepts .357 Mag. ammo too. I guess it is a thing, a dangerous thing.
    Tim
    That would a horrible if the only ammo you had was .357 Mag and you were being attacked.

You may want to slug your bore. My 1896 measured .364
    Though you'd want the best bullet to fit your cylinder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast