Load DataWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine light on

Boolit Master

Engine light on

I wish I had my 1962 Mercury Comet back. I drove that car for 23 years and no engine light ever came on. Matter of fact it had no engine light. My Nesson Versa engine light is telling me I need a new mass air flow sensor. I tried taking out the sensor and spraying it with carburetor cleaner bit it didn't work. It has in the past. Auto Zone wants 130 bocks for a new one. I checked Rock Island Auto.
    They vary in price from 30 to 70 dollars. I have never ordered anything from them or anyone else for that matter. Bummer
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    Back in the 60' someone custom built a Mercury Comet with a Plymouth Valliant after both had been wrecked and called it a Vomit. It had a horn that sounded like puke. Replacing parts is like trying to use cheaper ink in a computer. Sometimes they work.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 11-01-2023 at 05:48 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have ordered from Rock without issue and , IIRC, 1aauto. I would go with Rock.

Of all the failed/short life parts I ever swapped out, most came from Auto Zone.
    If a OEM part lasted 10 years--- the replacement from Auto Zone lasted 5-6 months.

I'm not sure why, but Rock Island has a bad reputation also.

I get most of my stuff from O'Reilley's. It's OEM quality, and the prices are not great- but fair.
    NAPA is good too, but our local guy sees me and starts looking at new trucks, or where he wants to go on vacation.
    He sort of priced me out of his store.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

did you actually get an EEC code for the mass airflow ? - IIRC using choke cleaner on them harmful + not recommended -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Buddy

As already mentioned, carb cleaner is bad for a MAF.

Rock Auto usually offers a range of parts, from "Economy" to "OEM", and the prices usually run the range from economy to OEM being the highest (but not always). I buy a lot of stuff from Rock Auto and have had very good luck, but I'm selective about the brand of each specific part I buy, especially if it's electrical or sensors. And sometimes their shipping is a little high, especially if the order ships from multiple warehouses.

Good luck!
    Running the ridges and riding the rivers of the Southwest Virginia Appalachians

Boolit Master
    I had a ‘65 Comet with the straight six. It wasn’t quick off the line but could cruise at 90. Also got really good mileage, I seem to recall it averaged 20 mph around town and a bit better on the highway.

Re the MAF sensor, I typically buy parts from NAPA because their warranties are pretty decent. A few bucks more doesn’t concern me if the part works.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    I wish I had my 1962 Mercury Comet back. I drove that car for 23 years and no engine light ever came on. Matter of fact it had no engine light. My Nesson Versa engine light is telling me I need a new mass air flow sensor. I tried taking out the sensor and spraying it with carburetor cleaner bit it didn't work. It has in the past. Auto Zone wants 130 bocks for a new one. I checked Rock Island Auto.
    They vary in price from 30 to 70 dollars. I have never ordered anything from them or anyone else for that matter. Bummer
    130 sounds cheap.
    I wonder what the Nissan dealer charges to diagnose that and replace it?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master
    I think that there is a special cleaner for the MAF sensor as regular carb cleaner is bad for it. I get most of my parts from NAPA and O reillys. Quit AZ when they gave me the wrong part but insisted that was the correct one (set of spark plugs). Got home and no way would work, so had to drive another 15 miles to get the right ones. Told them they owed me for time and distance due to their snafu. They just said "not gonna happen".

Talking

45Dude, You forgot to mention it had bucket seats

Yup, carb cleaner bad for MAP. Use the CRC stuff made for it.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

either and maf cleaner are the same thing just relabeled. i have been ordering a lot from rockauto, took me a little getting used to worrying about ordering the wrong part, they make it pretty idiot proof and the prices beat napa and autozone and oriellys. most orders make it same week if ordered on a monday. they do try and trick you into the expensive shipping, go for the "mail" option, its dhl delivered by the usps and is usually the cheepest.

reset your codes and see if they come back, also unhook your battery for an hour or two, to do a reset on the computer.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Just put a piece of electric tape on the engine light to hide it….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I've had good luck with Rock Auto. After you replace it, head to OReillys to have the case reset. They usually do it no trouble.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    I had a ‘65 Comet with the straight six. It wasn’t quick off the line but could cruise at 90. Also got really good mileage, I seem to recall it averaged 20 mph around town and a bit better on the highway.

Re the MAF sensor, I typically buy parts from NAPA because their warranties are pretty decent. A few bucks more doesn’t concern me if the part works.
    Friend had a 64 comet with the 221 V8, lighter weight engine than the straight 6! It wasn't a drag racer by any means but had decent get up and go!

Banned

anything electrical i will only buy oem replacement parts for.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Just put a piece of electric tape on the engine light to hide it….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    old timer that used to live buy me and was as tight as a drum picked me up in his f150 one day to give him a hand at camp. i noticed the tape on his dash and asked why it was there. he said the check engine light came on at 22k and the truck just rolled over a 100k. i asked why he didnt fix it. he said it ran fine. it did run just fine. said all hes done since new was a set of tires and an oil change every 10k. said the oil companys are the ones that brain washed us into changing oil so much. im just the oposite. my check engine light comes on and its parked till its fixed or id have an ulcer worrying about when it was going to leave me stranded

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    I have ordered from Rock without issue and , IIRC, 1aauto. I would go with Rock.
    Rock has treated me well.
    Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Friend had a 64 comet with the 221 V8, lighter weight engine than the straight 6! It wasn't a drag racer by any means but had decent get up and go!
    I knew someone who had a Comet with the 289, and that car was pretty zippy. It also had power steering, while mine had the big "ship's wheel". Was fine while I was moving, but dead stop turns were a workout.

My check engine came on in my GMC PU, was the air quality sensor above the gas tank, $26 for the part but $450 in labor to pull the bed off to get to the gas tank. So 8 years later sold it....the mechanic asked why is that light on, air sensor above the gas tank, yep, seen a bunch of those.... That is OK, and away it went. They could have put an access panel in the bed, but no. Just more and more extraneous regulations crapola, less or more to verify the existence of some highly paid regulation writing federal employee.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast