Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is it lately with all the exotic homebrews of alloys?

Boolit Master
    Ammunition shortages and an inflation damaged economy have resulted in many new reloaders. As a sub-group of reloaders, bullet casters have also seen an uptick in new casters. Lots of these newbies still need to learn stuff that us old timers take for granted. Please remember "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". When new guys ask things that make us do a face palm, it's up to us to share our knowledge and set them on the straight path.

As for exotic alloys, I have a really good alloy that I use as my basic rifle bullet allow, or cut 50/50 with pure lead for my pistol alloy. On the LASC website they have a good article on making casting alloys using Rotometals superhard. Here's the link: http://www.lasc.us/SuperHard.htm From that page I choose to make alloy #8, but with some slight modifications. First, I melt down some chilled shot and cast it into 1 pound ingots. I do this to get the trace amounts of arsenic that I want for my alloy. I substitute 1 pound of this "shot" alloy for 1 pound of the straight lead in the recipe. Also, I use tin from Rotometals, but I only use half the amount that's called for. I add lead free solder to make up the rest of the tin. I do this because the lead free solder contains a trace amount of copper, which toughens the alloy. I salvaged my lead from a counter-weight off a piece of broken machinery that was being scrapped, so I lucked out and got that for free. I'm posting this so that you can see, not everybody just hap-hazardously slaps together casting alloy from whatever happens to be around. Some of us put a lot of thought and effort into it.

Boolit Master
    Lots of these newbies still need to learn stuff that us old timers take for granted. Please remember "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". When new guys ask things that make us do a face palm, it's up to us to share our knowledge and set them on the straight path.

You mean like in the thread where the guy is looking for high arsenic lead in post #1 and in post #2 an "old guy" who joined in 2010 and has just shy of 1600 posts tells him "Batteries".

You mean we should share that kind if knowledge? This is why I posted this thread, To point out there is a much easier way to get to where you want to go. Yes you will need to spend a little money at Rotometals but when you consider everything you need to do to go the other routes it all equals out in the end. And as far as SHTF scenario? Really? Do you really think anyone is going to care that much about fine tuning alloys if they are living under a bridge making bullets over a fire? Where you gonna get all your chemicals?

Batteries is so gross

Boolit Master

Most modern batteries (lead acid) contain a lot of calcium for better keeping water / acid in the battery . I am sure many bought bullets/alloys also do by now as recycling has been done for so long now.

Car batteries can not just be melted they must be smelted with high temperatures and high concentrations of carbon monoxide that will reduce the lead compounds to lead again . It is a very messy process and much can go wrong . If you would like look up how they smelted Iron in the past the process is similar .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    It's economics. New people get into casting to save money (HAH!) and have to learn just like the rest of us, that the wheel doesn't need to be reinvented. Give them time and if you don't feel like answering their questions, someone else will.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    I can afford to buy whatever alloy I want, but I got wrapped up in the hunt for deals on lead, pewter, WWs and type when starting. Now that I have a few tons my wife wants to move. Will probably sell it cheap locally and buy alloy in the future.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    I can afford to buy whatever alloy I want, but I got wrapped up in the hunt for deals on lead, pewter, WWs and type when starting. Now that I have a few tons my wife wants to move. Will probably sell it cheap locally and buy alloy in the future.
    A few hundred pounds will get you through after the move. It shouldn't take up too much space either

Boolit Master
    Welcome to lead hoarders anonymous. We don't have an addiction, just ask us and we will tell you we don't.
    Some of us will just flat out admit it. LOL.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    Welcome to lead hoarders anonymous. We don't have an addiction, just ask us and we will tell you we don't.
    Some of us will just flat out admit it. LOL.
    Over the past few years, I've had the opportunity to salvage the lead from my club's indoor backstop. It was "free," but I earned most every pound of it. The first time, I did ALL the removal work myself. The second time I had some help. The third time, all I had to do was haul away the buckets. Many buckets. Earlier this year, I was offered more. I still have not got around to melting everything from the previous time, but ... I couldn't refuse. I think I may have a problem.

Boolit Master
    Repeat after me. "I do NOT have a problem". I do this for fun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12