Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: I just can't seem to get this one right...

I just can't seem to get this one right...

I have loaded reduced 30-30 loads before using soft point 30 carbine bullets, and the process went flawlessly, but I recently decided to load some cast reduced loads using .32 S&W Long (.312") bullets and I can't seem to get something right. After resizing, I used a Lee Universal case expanding tool to allow me to seat the bullets, but when I use my Lee seating die, it doesn't completely take the flare out of the case and I'm left with a slightly belled case mouth when I use my Lee factory crimp die. This, along with the slightly oversized bullets causes some of my loads not to chamber correctly. Not all of them, but enough to cause problems. Can some one give me advice on how to proceed?

Try sizing your bullets smaller 309 310 311 etc. Make sure that all the brass fits the gun before you load the bullets in it this is the reality check of the resizing die. Make sure the brass is not too long. It is possible that different manufacturers of cartridge brass make different thickness necks which in specific combinations can cause chambering issues I ran into this exact problem with 300 blackout.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Flintstone View Post
    I'm left with a slightly belled case mouth when I use my Lee factory crimp die.
    This seems a very notable remark if I understand correctly. The case is still belled/flared at mouth After the FCD is used?
    That could easily create chambering issues.

If that is so, either the brass is overly hard and requires annealing to properly take the crimp, or the crimp die is not actuating properly and crimping far enough (brass too short, too little actuation of the crimp due to short stroking the ram, etc.).

Thanks for the replies. If I have time after work, I'll try to work up a couple more and take careful note of where I'm having issues.

I think I figured out my problem. I used new brass, but when I checked the case lengths, they were all over the place. I suspect that the ones I was having trouble with were the ones that were the longest. I trimmed some of the cases to the minimum and loaded a few to cycle and they worked fine.

After reading up on the issue, it appears that the 1975 Marlin 336 in 30-30 was notorious for having short throats. I haven't taken a mold of the throat to test this, but it seems to make sense to me based on what others have said.

Boolit Master
    I use a Redding taper crimp die #85146
    to solve this problem. I handload for 8
    different 30-30's and this is one of the few
    things they all agree on !!!

Boolit Master

Try sizing your bullets smaller 309 310 311 etc. Make sure that all the brass fits the gun before you load the bullets in it this is the reality check of the resizing die. Make sure the brass is not too long. It is possible that different manufacturers of cartridge brass make different thickness necks which in specific combinations can cause chambering issues I ran into this exact problem with 300 blackout.
    YES!!
    also, brass length needs to be uniform so that the slight crimp will also be uniform.
    best
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Jacketed sizing die expander is not made for cast bullets, especially the Marlin 30/30. Get NOE or lyman expander. Bullet is too fat for the case. Marlins have no throat to speak of. 312 bullet in a 305ish hole doesn't work.
    Oops Lee Universal tool is for flaring case mouth and if used improperly will give too much flare. Lee seating die doesn't crimp or remove flare. Use the Lee FCD.
    Size, expand neck, flare, seat (with powder), crimp. Done.
    Last edited by popper; 11-13-2023 at 09:11 PM.
    Whatever!

I didn’t use my Lee expander die this time. Instead I used a Hornady 32 H&R magnum die and only inserted the case enough to expand the case enough to insert the bullet. Not a particularly efficient way of expanding the cases, but it worked. I’ll probably order a NOE insert or two for my Lee die.

Apparently the flare that was left after crimping was due to some of the cases being in excess of 2.04”. On those, the crimp die formed a ring a couple thousandths below the case mouth and left a sharp mini-flare. I trimmed them back to 2.025” this go around and they worked perfectly with the crimp at the case mouth. That might be bit short, but they’ll grow into it.

Quote Originally Posted by FredBuddy View Post
    I use a Redding taper crimp die #85146
    to solve this problem. I handload for 8
    different 30-30's and this is one of the few
    things they all agree on !!!
    does case length still matter? im assuming it does
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Boolit Master
    Pull theT:
    Yes, case length matters, but not as much
    as for the crimp die.

Boolit Buddy
    I cast that boolit too and I'm surprised you can get them to chamber without sizing them down. The .30 caliber rifles I shoot them in won't chamber them without sizing them down.
    Hi, my name is Tony and I'm addicted to gunpowder.

AKA Geezerbiker

Lee Universal FLARE too - Let it just touch the mouth, the watch the press handle and move about 1/4 -1/2 " wont need to trim cases. I rest my hand on my knee and control movement that way. The Lee FCD will crimp out the flare.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

In the 30-30 cartridge with 90 - 105 gr cast bullets I load them over 2.8 gr of Bullseye [no filler or wad]. Bullets are sized and lubed in .314 or .312 H&I then sized .311 in a Lee push through. Otherwise, as mentioned, chambering can be difficult in both my M94s and Contender Carbine barrel. Accuracy is excellent in all three rifles.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla